It's arrived!!

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Sorry to drag this one up but with my car having just landed at Irfan's I am now wondering how to drive the thing. I always thought I had it sussed, drive it across the rev range but don't accelerate too hard. Should I be pushing harder then?

Puzzled

Just hammer it Chris, you're not gonna kill it.
I'm gonna drive mine like a nun! not

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
As long as you do not go nuts on a cold engine, showing no mechanical sympathy and generally treat the car badly, you should be OK. Follow the run in procedure where you are easy for the first 666 miles then a little more vigourously for the next 333 miles then as and when you want when the engine has warmed up.

Gizzer

Apr 24, 2008
Hampshire
Sorry to drag this one up but with my car having just landed at Irfan's I am now wondering how to drive the thing. I always thought I had it sussed, drive it across the rev range but don't accelerate too hard. Should I be pushing harder then?

Puzzled

Having read Pummy's reply and finding this Link On Running In it would appear that ragging (but not red-lining) for the first 20 miles will give a better piston ring seal and therefore more power!

Goes against the grain I know, but the more I think about it the more it makes sense....

I am definitely considering this once mine arrives. Plus searching this forum about running in, there seems to be more pro's about driving it reasonably hard when you first get it, than pro's for driving like a granny ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.