Jacking options

bcroninuk

Dec 31, 2014
I want to start doing my own basic work on the car, such as changing brake pads. The manual recommends the use of a scissor jack behind the sill. What is the option that others here use to jack and support the car. Been advised not to have the car jacked up only with a scissor or trolley jack and use axel stands?

It seems to be a hidden "secret" that there are other load bearing mounting points under the car as well?

In simple terms I would like to have the car jacked up so I can replace brake pads and discs.

Fire away... many thanks

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Consider your scissor jack for emergency use only for changing a tyre when in a pinch!
If you intend to do your own maintenance - get your self a floor/trolley jack and some axle stands.

This is mine - not expensive.

1697703087909.png

Also get some rubber sill pads:
1697703292255.png

There is a thread on here somewhere (do a search) about the jacking/axle stand points. Probably a good idea, but I must say I haven't bothered.
For doing brakes I jack up of the sill using trolley jack and rubber pad above - then place my axle stand under the subframe mounting point.

Doing your own discs you'll need a large 200nm+ torque wrench, to torque the caliper carrier bolts.

bcroninuk

Dec 31, 2014
Many thanks for the info. The owner manual only mentions using the reinforced section of the rail behind the sill. So I should use the trolley on the sill, then use an axel on another load point? I have seen another post about these "hidden" load points on the subframe but a bit unsure where they are...

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Many thanks for the info. The owner manual only mentions using the reinforced section of the rail behind the sill. So I should use the trolley on the sill, then use an axel on another load point? I have seen another post about these "hidden" load points on the subframe but a bit unsure where they are...
The sill has a small mark front and rear - this is the area suitable for lifting where you would put your scissor jack. Using your trolley jack on the sill you should use the rubber bung I mentioned above.

example:
1697711015435.png

bcroninuk

Dec 31, 2014
Cool... if I use the trolley to jack up the car, would there be enough space to get the axel stand in place, next to the trolley jack? Then release the trolley jack.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Nope. But you can jack up from the rear sill point using a trolley jack and then place your axle stand under the sill point at the front if you want to work on your front wheels.

bcroninuk

Dec 31, 2014
Nope. But you can jack up from the rear sill point using a trolley jack and then place your axle stand under the sill point at the front if you want to work on your front wheels.
Oh did not reliase that was possible. I have seen some youtube vids where they trolley jack at the jack point then put the axel jacks as close to the jack point... is that entire "rail" behind the sill capable of taking a load?

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
So long as you use the official reinforced jacking points, it's fine. It's how I change the pads and discs on my cupra ST, and it's no different if you were jacking from the front and then putting the axle stand on the back.
There's just not enough room normally to fit the jack and an axle stand side by side at the same point.

Golf video but the principle is the same.