jacking points

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
hi im gonna refurb my brakes tomorrow, can i jack my car up on the jacking points near the side of the car using a trolley jack?

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi Gaz, i had the same prob - didn't want to take off the jacking covers as they are a pig to get bak on :censored: - so i used a trolley jack onto the front subframe, this is about 8-10" in from the front jacking point :D, not touched my rear brakes yet so don't know where to jack the car up here
Hope this helps

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
ive not had a closer look under my car but wont the jack just go under the caps and on to the sill? arent the caps for the in car jack? :shrug: i dont want to use the sub frame, i dont trust my jack to lift the full weight of the front end, hense why i want to jack from the side.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
ive not had a closer look under my car but wont the jack just go under the caps and on to the sill? arent the caps for the in car jack? :shrug: i dont want to use the sub frame, i dont trust my jack to lift the full weight of the front end, hense why i want to jack from the side.

If you don't trust your jack to lift the font end i wouldn't be using it, also the jack wouldn't lift the whole front end unless you cranked it right to the top, i also use the front sub-frame. Have to make sure where ever you put it that it is solid and not going to deform or cause any damage to the underneath.

Andy

Last edited:

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
I found the safest place on the front is the chassis you can get an axle stand next to the jack which is needed. Also when it comes to the rear you can always jack the car on the rear beam then put axle stands at either end and lower car onto them.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
I use the jacking points, cover only poped off once but its hardly rocket sceince to put it back on lol. I allways use the axel stand on the chassis rails at from and beam at the back, lifiting the back you can also use the rear beam.

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
i jacked my car up today to fit the cupra splitter and struggled to get the jack under the car at first. i then used a scissor jack under the front subfraqme to lift the car just enough for the jack to go under the sills and then lift the car. only problem is, where the jack was, the side skirt must have got in the way as the skirt now sits away from the sill. bugger. gonna take the jacking cdover off and screw the skirt into the sill and will then attempt to modify the jacking point cover to make it fit easier (says foolishly!)

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
it really isnt hard to get the sill covers on... fit to top first, palm under the cover and wack it on... works 100% evertime for me

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
If you don't trust your jack to lift the font end i wouldn't be using it, also the jack wouldn't lift the whole front end unless you cranked it right to the top, i also use the front sub-frame. Have to make sure where ever you put it that it is solid and not going to deform or cause any damage to the underneath.

Andy

my jacks rated to 2ton so it probably would be up to the job. i only need to do the drivers side brembo, the passenger side is fine so it not worth doing. ill use the scissor jack and get my asle stand under as a backup

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
I've heard from a mechanic thats its ok to jack on rear beam but should keep as close to the wheels as possible as the beam may bend. So i;m wondering if you jack up on beam how close can you get axle stands to them? Alternatively, will it be ok to jack from the bottom of the suspension spring mount? then I can put the axle stands as close to the wheels as possible you see.

Quiorky

For the fronts i always put an axle stand on the chasis beam just behind the ridges (which are towards the front of the beam), in line with jacking points on the sill. Never done the back but maybe there are similar markings???

cupra_r_ick

Jan 29, 2011
cupracar how do you get on with them, do you fit em and leave em on or remove once finished ?

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
it really isnt hard to get the sill covers on... fit to top first, palm under the cover and wack it on... works 100% evertime for me

lol yeh and smash the fixing clips to pieces!!!!!
these things should go on easy but they defo do not. I had loads of people try and mine definately wont be 'wacked' on. Solution? gaffa tape....classy

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Step son serviced car last week, took the covers off I said "they're a turd to get back on."
He just popped them strait back on. Pretty much how James described above.

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
Heard mix feedback on the TT jacking points. Apparently they are designed to be used for 4 point lifts. Some have reported bent floor pans due to supporting on one at a time.

I've heard this as well

They are not for jacking the car up with an trolley jack, as said they are the four points, where the four point lift, lifts the car from, so the whole weight is spread across the four points, the floor is not strong enough to take all the weight of the car at one point, i have not had any issues with them but then i only ever use them when i put it on the lift. ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members