Just bought an FR! What to replace/check first?

Mar 28, 2022
Hello,

I've just bought a 56 plate Leon FR DSG with 88k miles, only my 2nd SEAT since an Ibiza GTI Cupra Sport 16v I owned about 20 years ago!

It's had a stage 1 Revo remap, dyno'd at 243bhp at the wheels but no other mods. I'm thinking of getting a non-res cat back Cobra exhaust but want to get the sensible parts checked and replaced first. So, my question is, what should I check and get changed as precautionary measures?

It's booked in next week for a minor service, plus new cambelt and waterpump as this was last done in 2013 at 40k miles.

Having read up on common issues, I bought a new PCV and rubber gasket (yet to be fitted), and am also looking to replace the diverter valve (with a rev. G) and fuel pump cam follower.

Is there anything else I should check before modding the car further? What's the situation with the cam chain?

Cheers!

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Are these the engines that are cambelt, but also have a chain on the cams for some reason? If you're planning on having the cambelt done, then seems like a good time to do the chain?

Walnut blasting the inlet valves might be an idea?

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
Cam follower, dipstick and oil pickup would also be on my list. Have a look on R-Tech's website, lists the common issues.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Your thinking along the right lines change all the common fail items before modding.
what colour is your mk2?

Mar 28, 2022
My Mk2 is black. To be honest, after owning a black MX-5 that would get dirty just sat on the drive for a week not used, I did say I'd never have another black car. However, as choice in the 2nd hand car market is pretty poor at the moment, that's what I ended up going with.

I've now bought the cam follower and rev G DV, so I'll fit them soon with the PCV.

I'll take a look at the dipstick, a guy I follow on YouTube has recently done a guide on swapping this. What's the oil pickup, and what sort of problems can it cause?

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Black is my favourite Colour in a car but I 100% agree with you about it getting dirty by not even driving it mines parked outside and I spent more time cleaning it then driving it unfortunately right now.