Just fitted Towbar to Cupra with BTCC/Aero kit.

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
I thought I would post this as the question has come up a few times regarding fitting a towbar to a Mk2 Cupra with the Aero/BTCC kit fitted.

I have just successfully done this. I originally had the K1 central exhaust so had to change the exhaust to dual and get a new bumper (both are available if anyone is looking for them;)). I also fitted reverse sensors at the same time.

The tow bar I used is a Brink/Thule 4467 that I got from Hedleys towing centre at a cost of £179 delivered. This towbar includes the blank plate when the towbar is not fitted.
The electrics are universal VAG that I got from Towequip, the part number is 321600300153 and cost £99.00 these are 13 pin hence the 13pin to two 7 pin adapter cable. They also connect in to the CAN bus system, no connections to the lights at all.
I also chose to fit the charging harness that enables a caravan to be charged and the fridge to work whilst being towed this cost £30 (I won't be towing a caravan but thought it best to fit just in case I do at some point). Part number for this is 300025300113.
The Parking sensors are Valeo and I had the surrounds painted at the same time the bumper was being done. These cost £54.95 again from Towequip. I had to fit them higher in the bumper than the original positions as these sensors need to be a minimum of 45cm from the ground.

I just have a couple of connections to complete at the fuse box and then get the car enabled for trailer mode then I can test everything.

Anyone in the Suffolk area got Vagcom to enable trailer mode??

Here are a couple of pics. There seems to be more than anough clearance from the bumper to the tow ball as this was one of my concerns.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Any questions about the fitting please ask and I'll try to answer.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2011
Sheffield
Your exhaust looks a little off, both pipes seem to be very near centre of bumper rather than centre of the holes?

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
It's the angle the picture was taken that makes it look like that, If you stand directly behind each outlet they are in the middle.
There are marks on the inside of the bumper where you cut the openings and where the trims fit. Exhaust is genuine Seat so it can't be wrong.

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I'd be tempted to do it, but I think it looks gash with the towbar on :(

is it removable? I wanted to get a towbar mounted bike rack for my car, but don't want an ugly tow bar on the back :(

seatstu

Apr 15, 2004
I'd be tempted to do it, but I think it looks gash with the towbar on :(

is it removable? I wanted to get a towbar mounted bike rack for my car, but don't want an ugly tow bar on the back :(

Yes it is removable, the top picture is with it removed :) you get a blank plate with the towbar that covers the hole in the bumper when the towbar is removed.
I am of the same opinion in that I would not want it there permanantly.
I have a towbar mounted bike rack which is one of the reasons I fitted the towbar.

Last edited:

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Yes it is removable, the top picture is with it removed :) you get a blank plate with the towbar that covers the hole in the bumper when the towbar is removed.
I am of the same opinion in that I would not want it there permanantly.
I have a towbar mounted bike rack which is one of the reasons I fitted the towbar.

sorry mate, thought it was a before and after picture :whistle:

That's why I want one, I have roof bars, but I don't fancy putting my new bike on (it's a heavy DH rig) so I'd rather it was on a bike rack on the back.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.