Just taken delivery of FR Edition ACT

Sirrius898

Mar 31, 2014
The Sps system is great. Seems to be very reliable. Bluetooth streaming is good quality and works like a built in system. MPG is starting to improve now the engine has run in a bit.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
I just realised that if the SEAT brochure is to be believed this car makes the 2.0 litre diesel FR obsolescent. It has the same claimed economy, is a shade zippier, has lower road tax and costs well over £1000 less.

Anyone getting 50 mpg overall yet?

Agreed, can't really see why you'd buy the diesel now

It's about time Seat dumped the SPS and put a proper Sat Nav in the dash. It might be ok in the Mii but its unacceptable in a car like the Ibiza.

Yeah it's not really up to scratch considering the Fabia gets a proper in dash nav system and Skoda are supposed to be lower than SEAT in the VAG hierarchy. It's been a weak point since the mk5 came out along with the lack of a highline/ maxidot trip computer screen

Last edited:

ckyliu

Jan 17, 2014
Derbyshire
I just realised that if the SEAT brochure is to be believed this car makes the 2.0 litre diesel FR obsolescent. It has the same claimed economy, is a shade zippier, has lower road tax and costs well over £1000 less. Anyone getting 50 mpg overall yet?
Diesels tend get a lot closer to their claimed MPG figures though. Personally, I think I'd miss the torques and in-gear shove! Having said that, £1000 less and no DPF seems like the 1.4 ACT is a no brainer.

jakesbrakes

Rapid old fart
Jun 23, 2010
Bexhill on sea
Fr 1.4 act on order

Had a demo FR 1.4 ACT on an extended loan last week. Managed 102 miles started with low light on. Topped tank consumption on new engine with varied speed worked out at 38.5 mpg... Impressed with this engine ordered up on the spot. Will be replacing current Mii. OK don't laugh cause this followed a Leon 2.0 tdi Fr dsg 170bhp which followed a Ibiza Cupra, which followed another Leon 2.0 tdi Fr dsg. So have had a few Seats. Had to have a slow down as risked the licence and needed a rethink regarding speed etc.. But after the Mii which is a pretty good drive, although could do with 105/110 bhp to make it more interesting.
Bit unhappy about the lack of additional kit for the ACT but the demo certainly impressed me don't think its much behind the Cupra anyway.. Just hope it don't use as much oil as the Cupra which was lucky to ever see more than 500 miles per litre.. And yes it did get a new replacement engine, but I sold it as could not face the prospect of oil issues any more.
So will report back with an update on the new ACT..
cheers to all in my area..
Jake :[B)]

arf1989

Apr 9, 2014
Hey JakesBrakes,

What did you think of the ride, engine sound, refinement? I'm interested to see what other people thought and how smooth is the transition between 2 to 4 cylinders?

Mine should arrive in a few weeks time!!!

jakesbrakes

Rapid old fart
Jun 23, 2010
Bexhill on sea
2nd bite at the ACT 1.4 Tsi Fr

Just had a second go with the Act 1.4tsi engine Ibiza Fr Edition. Coming from the current Mii Sport had to admit the ride and steering do not compete, but then you don't really expect It to. They are two entirely different concepts, one is just a small city car albeit probably what a modern Mini should be and isn't, being small efficient with internal size and real word fuel consumption. The two Mii's I've had over the last year have given me in real world condition's 42.p mpg that's over 12000 miles and ive got a bit of concrete on my right foot.
The Act 1.4tsi engine is a dream, the changeover from 2 to 4 is instant you don't notice unless you are looking in the mpg indicator. The ride ride is firm as expect with the 17 inch 40 aspect tyres. The torque at 250 comes in a only 2500 rpm which is 500 rpm less than the Cupra, anyone who has driven the Cupra knows just how that feels, the main benefit and not to be underestimated is the fact the you now have a 6 speed manual box, a great big improvement on the DSG fitted to the Cupra. My only real concern is the possibility of another oil burning engine. Its all very nice to have 40 mpg or better, but if you are pouring expensive synthetic oil into a bottomless pit, it just don't make sense. Still with a great deal of anticipation am looking forward to take delivery of a nice new red ACT 1.4 Tsi Fr Ibiza.
Will update in fullness of time..
Regards to all in East Sussex.
Jake:lol:

arf1989

Apr 9, 2014
Sounds very promising. I'm coming from a 11 plate Ibiza 1.4 Chill. Mind you, the car has done nothing wrong to me, only a few rattles by the passenger door on cold winter mornings but that's all. Engine runs very smooth and I tend to get around 45mpg with that engine. I am very cautious with speed.

I'm very looking forward to getting my hands on the ACT and hopefully getting better mpg figures than my current Ibiza :)

Feb 8, 2011
The torque at 250 comes in a only 2500 rpm

I think it's 1500 rpm actually (about the same as the 1.2 TSI which is 1550). That will make it more driveable than a Cupra at low engine speeds.

I've decided to wait until I can get one with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). You can get that on Leon and Golf and I believe on the Polo too now. Of course, that may mean a wait until the new Ibiza comes out which I'd guess will be next year.

I'd call 38.5 mpg pretty poor even if driven, shall we say, briskly. I get 45 from the 1.2 TSI and conditions round here are very hilly - so not ideal.

Last edited:

jakesbrakes

Rapid old fart
Jun 23, 2010
Bexhill on sea
Oops!

OOPS! Sorry for the typo error on my part being too quick with the pinkies..
YES correct the max torque Nm 250 comes in at only 1500 rpm not 2500 rpm.
which is 500 rpm lower than the Cupra and even 250 rpm lower than the 2.0 TDI CR that gives 320 Nm, a nice figure but the car weighs in 75 kg more all on the front wheels and is noticeable on the road. And yes I have had a 2.0 TDI CR in fact two of them. Both proved to be autobahn blatmobiles very capable on main roads, not quite so nice on the B roads that we have in abundance in East Sussex. Even after only two longish demos with the 1.4 ACT engine I would say that this is probably the best balanced engine in the line up.. And with the 6 speed manual box, much much better than the DSG fitted to the Cupra.. And again yes I have had a Cupra Ibiza, but that's another story.
Its worth noting that VW group is revising the entire engine line up for Polo, Fabia and Ibiza.
So we are ahead of the game with the new 1.4 ACT Tsi. a complete change from the 1.4 Tsi fitted to the outgoing Cupra .
Cheers Jake:p

arf1989

Apr 9, 2014
Cool - does anyone have any pictures of their FR ACT models to show and if they are happy with the car? :)

smudger12

I have done 700 miles in mine and just added 250ml of oil. Been getting reasonable mpg so far but I have been taking it easy, should imagine it will drop off if you push it. Got a white one but looks like I'll be washing it every week.

jakesbrakes

Rapid old fart
Jun 23, 2010
Bexhill on sea
Oil ! OIL ! Oh No!

Oh no ! I am just hoping this engine is not going to consume oil at the outrageous rate that my Ibiza Cupra 2012 did 500 mp litre if I was lucky of rather expensive synthetic oil.. Although this is a VW production engine that is, and has been in use in the Polo Blus GT. Agree its of a different design and now the cams and ancillaries are belt driven, not chain and doesn't have a supercharger to lubricate., it might just be early days .
Got one on order after a couple of longish demo drives, but they were not long enough to prove one way or other if it was an oil burner. So its with hope this is just a running in process.
Please keep us upto date with any increased use of oil. After all its all very well getting 40/50 mpg with petrol, but if that saving is negated by the consumption of expensive oil the case is not valid.
Cheers Jake:thanks:

smudger12

I am hoping the oil use will settle down, but will let people know. Aside from this the car is great, I actually look forward to driving it every day. I am sure if people order one they will not regret it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise