Key fob thingy majig..

storm_bay

I've had my K1 for about 4 weeks now and have noticed that the 'boot button' on the key fob doesn't actually open my boot. Is it supposed to do something? Surely they wouldn't give me a key with a button that's not needed? This may sound completely stupid but thought i'd ask here before shouting at the dealer that I bought the car off!

Any info would be great. Thank you :)

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I've had my K1 for about 4 weeks now and have noticed that the 'boot button' on the key fob doesn't actually open my boot. Is it supposed to do something? Surely they wouldn't give me a key with a button that's not needed? This may sound completely stupid but thought i'd ask here before shouting at the dealer that I bought the car off!

Any info would be great. Thank you :)

Holding it down unlocks just the boot and when you close the boot, it relocks itself :)

Danny.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
yep, keep the button pressed for a couple of seconds, and keep hold of the keys once the boot is open/dont put them down in the boot, almost had an embarrasing moment miles from home.

storm_bay

Ahhh right, so when the car is already unlocked, holding down the boot key won't actually open it? Just unlock it? Was just a bit confused because the boot on my bf's old ST actually opened when you pressed the button...

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Ahhh right, so when the car is already unlocked, holding down the boot key won't actually open it? Just unlock it? Was just a bit confused because the boot on my bf's old ST actually opened when you pressed the button...

yip.
and it will lock once the boot is closed again, hence why you should keep hold of your keys.

storm_bay

Ahhh ok, thankyou! I shall try it when I finish work (whilst holding onto my keys for dear life because i'm a muppet and will put them in the boot) :)

nicklaus27

Sep 1, 2009
i did the same thing for ages!! kept pressing it expecting it to pop open like my dads bm! :lol: got really frustrated with it too!

i then read the manual and it explained what everyone has said above!

storm_bay

Thank you all, came out of work and actually held the button down instead of just pressig it... And it worked!! :D

At least I won't feel like an idiot now for ringing up the dealer!! :)

Cupranation

Aug 20, 2009
Warwickshire
It is interesting though why Seat chose to do it this way. The boot latch is controled by a solenoid (there is no mechanical link between the handle and the latch, the handle acts as a switch that triggers the solenoid to release the latch) so pressing and holding the boot button on the keyfob 'could' have been designed to unlock it and actually release the latch.

In fact our other car (Octavia Mk2 VRS) does exactly that (identical key to Leon, probably identical boot lock mechanism) i.e. press and hold keyfob boot button unlocks boot and releases latch so you can just pull the boot lid open from anywhere without using the handle.

My guess is that because the Octy actually has several places where you can put your fingers and lift the boot lid (other than the release handle) like the number plate surround, the Leon doesn't. Other than lifting the S badge the only other place you could lift it from is the rear wiper (not advisable) or by getting your fingers under the bottom between the lid and the bumper.

Curious. Mind you I find it fascinating and spend far too much time comparing the minute differences between two cars built on the same platform anywhay :headhurt:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members