Key problem

Fester999

May 17, 2020
Is it possible for a key fob to fail?
Earlier I had one warning to replace the battery.
I locked the car ( 2017 leon) upon trying to unlock it key fob dead.
I opened the car using the key.
I have swapped the batteries with the spare key.
The supposed dead battery works in the spare key but neither work in the usual key?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Is it possible for a key fob to fail?
Earlier I had one warning to replace the battery.
I locked the car ( 2017 leon) upon trying to unlock it key fob dead.
I opened the car using the key.
I have swapped the batteries with the spare key.
The supposed dead battery works in the spare key but neither work in the usual key?
Unfortunately, like any component it is possible that they can fail at end of life, or due to environmental factors e.g. dropped or submerged in water.

I had a Volvo key (of the type was inserted into the dashboard) that failed after a few months of ownership. I kicked-up a massive fuss at the dealer as the car had been suffering a number of software gremlins and it was replaced under warranty. It was only several months later that my wife admitted that she had failed to check her pockets and it had been through the washing machine!:eek:

Fester999

May 17, 2020
Popped up to the local Seat dealer in Stoke-on-Trent. They changed the fob battery fixed. Good job, they said a new fob was £180 plus coding!!!!

Jan 5, 2021
Popped up to the local Seat dealer in Stoke-on-Trent. They changed the fob battery fixed. Good job, they said a new fob was £180 plus coding!!!!
it gets worse...2019 plate - I've just had to pay £330 for a coded spare key from the dealership as the mobile key man was unable to get his key to accept a code!! :eek:

• Wow
Reactions: Jay5959

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
2019 model and the key I use normally sprang the battery warning message last week. Replaced with new Duracell which I had 'in stock' but expired this year however remote didn't work. I put the old battery back and ordered new ones. The message hasn't returned and its still got the old battery in. At least I've got new when it eventually happens again...or gives up entirely. My wife's i10 we swapped out last year at almost 5.5 years old had the original battery in the normal remote! (and one never used).

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Forgot to mention on my previous post, when you take the battery out, you need to press one of the buttons on the fob to reset, before re-inserting the new battery.

Reactions: Tivver500 and Yern

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
I did see that somewhere.
However when I came to change mine I did both key fobs and did not press any buttons until i checked them for use.
The batteries were at 2.95 v but as they only seemed to last a year in use or left indoors I changed them.
New they were 3.3v

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
My NISSAN 200SX key went in the wash and the dryer.
Only noticed it as it had burst open and the MICRO chip was rattling around in the dryer.
Put it all back together [it had dried nicely] and carried on as if I was NORMAL!!