Largest tire width allowed?

leonGR

ProDriver
Dec 7, 2006
Athens, Greece
As the title suggests I would like to find out what is the largest width size for the Cupra 18 inch wheels? I would like to have more rubber on the ground since with these crappy P-Zero's I am spinning all the time as well as sliding in corners. If it wasn't for the ESP I would be sidewise all the time...

Can 245's fit on the car? I would prefer to stay with the stock 18's but if they need to be changed can a wider 18 wheel fit? Otherwise what are the largest 19 inch wheels being used?

Thanks,

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I think alot of it depends how low your car goes. Ive had to use 10mm spacers on the front to fit my big brakes in, and the car is also lowered. A fitting inside the wheel arch rubs (attachement to connect the liner to the front wing) if going over bumps or sharp corners. I have since cut this bit off and solved the problem. I would have a look and investigate how much room you think there is under there. I think 245 might be too much..

leonGR

ProDriver
Dec 7, 2006
Athens, Greece
Thanks... I am just getting frustrated since 1st and 2nd gears are useless with the tires spinning. Even third is a problem at times espcially with ESP kicking in. This is all on stock code, I wonder how it will be when I put on the REVO code :)

cupra2007

RCOTY
Jan 7, 2007
rhodes/greece
with the condition of our roads i fear the revo code would be completely useless!!i also have major problem with 1st and 2nd and i drive really smooth!!so maybe changing to really soft ones(michelin pilot sport?) and not the dimension is the only answer!?!

leonGR

ProDriver
Dec 7, 2006
Athens, Greece
Yes photo's... Still I need a way to figure out the best way to maintain traction with 300hp soon to be on tap.... This could be done via:

1: ECU using traction control software,
2: Softer tire rubber with existing wheels,
3: Larger width size tires

I wonder what the WTCC Seat cars use for rubber and width size... hmmm....

Cuprito

Ottoman León !
Nov 26, 2006
Istanbul
www.dragturk.com
255/35/18 Continental Sport Contact2 - BBS CH 8.5J ET35 18"

dscf3659lw3.jpg

dscf3660ai0.jpg

dscf3661jd2.jpg

dscf3662iv3.jpg

225/45/18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso..

dscf3664ox8.jpg

dscf3665wb0.jpg

dscf3667ft8.jpg

cupra2007

RCOTY
Jan 7, 2007
rhodes/greece
your car looks pretty cool!! ;) but it needs a bit of lowering in my opinion,and if you do so i fear the huge back tyres will almost certainly will find in the car's wheel arch!!great wheels non the same!:) also noticed you got continental's in the rear...

Last edited:

Cuprito

Ottoman León !
Nov 26, 2006
Istanbul
www.dragturk.com
Giasou ! :)

thanks mate..

it really needs a lowering but i'm not sure if 3.5 cm is just enough, or do i have to go with 5 cm ? :think: any advice ?

yep, i got Conti's on rear.. SportContact2 tyres.. probably the best "big" tyre around :)

Last edited:

cupra2007

RCOTY
Jan 7, 2007
rhodes/greece
i suppose 3,5 cm is the max you can go for safety and practical reasons(huge rear tyres)!ask DANGB about the springs,he has a really good choice in his car!!merhaba!!:)

leonGR

ProDriver
Dec 7, 2006
Athens, Greece
Well I am still researching for tire sizes for the Cupra.... Car now has around 320-330bhp and I can even get the traction control system to kick in in 4th gear with the stock p-zero's.... Did not want to change them until I wore them down somewhat and after 7000km's the fronts are looking flat :)

With the stock Cupra wheels what sizes would work for both front and back? Also would Goodyear F-1's be a good replacement? I had like "Cuprito" 255's in the back but would they fit in the front as well?

Just some questions and wonder what some Leon owner's have done....

Thanks...

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Goodyear F1 GSD3's are the tyre of choice on here. not the longest wearing, but great for grip.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise