Launch experiences

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
After my first experiences of launching the Formentor this morning up to 62mph I thought it would be a worth thread to create where we can put our experiences up. Especially for those who are new to this level of experience šŸ™‚

Reactions: IanH72 and Yaz2010

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
1618566393739.png

Here is my experience - initial compression on launch. Apologies for low quality, it's a screencap from video.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Reactions: Yaz2010

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Thanks. We didn't really set it up properly, just a quick and dirty video. Here it is uploaded.

I find all these videos do not properly show how fast it goes. I've heard people say it looks slow and they are surprised it's sub 5s 0-60.
Agree yeah it definitely feels faster than it looks but that is probably to be expected. I guess the true visual indicator of how fast it is is when you put a normal hatchback next to it and show the difference. Or have it head to head with another similar performance vehicle to see the similarity

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Anyone tried a launch in softest DCC setting? Petrol Ped reckons on YouTube its the best way, think for traction. Can't wait to try, just got to 1003 miles but was with daughter and better half who wouldn't be amused šŸ™„šŸ˜‚

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Wait to you get more miles on it and then launch it, different animal. Mine came alive after 1500/2000miles.

Reactions: Stonepope

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
So you saying there will be a difference from me launching it with about 1020 miles and then at 2000?

Reactions: jcbmally

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Also what are people generally running it on? Majority of time I have been using BP ultimate (97Ron) couple of times I've just put the standard 95 Ron in

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
So you saying there will be a difference from me launching it with about 1020 miles and then at 2000?
My previous lease Golf R was the same, got better with more miles/kms. Also exhaust note got better after 5-6,000 miles, that was an OPF car too so am hopeful Formentor will too, don't want to mess with res delete etc

Reactions: jcbmally

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
My previous lease Golf R was the same, got better with more miles/kms. Also exhaust note got better after 5-6,000 miles, that was an OPF car too so am hopeful Formentor will too, don't want to mess with res delete etc
What's the science behind it all? I assume the engine bedding in properly ( piston rings etc) can let the engine be used more freely, how does the exhaust etc sound louder after a couple thousand miles. Heard some pops and bangs today turned round and was cupra ateca. Seen a few videos of the ateca and I've got to say it sounds a bit more in your face than the Formentor. It seems in the Formentor you have to get that real sweet spot between 3-4k revs, not sure if same for ateca? Also do you get a bit more action from the exhaust when everything is up to temp?

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
Also what are people generally running it on? Majority of time I have been using BP ultimate (97Ron) couple of times I've just put the standard 95 Ron in
Optimax is pretty much all I would use in performance cars.
Good fuel makes a difference to these kind of engines.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
What's the science behind it all? I assume the engine bedding in properly ( piston rings etc) can let the engine be used more freely, how does the exhaust etc sound louder after a couple thousand miles. Heard some pops and bangs today turned round and was cupra ateca. Seen a few videos of the ateca and I've got to say it sounds a bit more in your face than the Formentor. It seems in the Formentor you have to get that real sweet spot between 3-4k revs, not sure if same for ateca? Also do you get a bit more action from the exhaust when everything is up to temp?
Cupra Ateca comes with Akrapovic (custom) exhaust. That's why the sound is better. I'm surprised Formentor is not offering it as an option.

Reactions: Ricknffc

Stonepope

Feb 12, 2021
Optimax is pretty much all I would use in performance cars.
Good fuel makes a difference to these kind of engines.
Used both in my Golf R previously, absolutely no noticeable difference in performance or economy that I could tell. If you have it on, say, a lease for two years then I really wouldn't worry too much. If you're planning on keeping it and doing a lot of miles then it's a different matter, particularly if you rag it everywhere. Having said all that, I'm still in the honeymoon period with the car and am only putting Super in it, that will change once the novelty wears off šŸ˜‰

CupraCraig

Mar 5, 2021
Used both in my Golf R previously, absolutely no noticeable difference in performance or economy that I could tell. If you have it on, say, a lease for two years then I really wouldn't worry too much. If you're planning on keeping it and doing a lot of miles then it's a different matter, particularly if you rag it everywhere. Having said all that, I'm still in the honeymoon period with the car and am only putting Super in it, that will change once the novelty wears off šŸ˜‰

Each to their own, but a higher RON fuel does eek the most optimum performance out of a highly strung vehicle.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Yup, regarding the why !! Iā€™m convinced there is software holding it back until a few miles are on them and then they come to life (VW/Audi did with emissions). All cars I have ran in have opened up a bit after a couple of thousand miles.
Even the diesels do better after a few miles but I drive them hard from day one (HGV driver). Any new wagon is running flat out with 44te on its back, itā€™s always been the same and haulier owners donā€™t ā€œwait for running inā€ periods, only way to make it pay.

johnd

Nov 18, 2018
Each to their own, but a higher RON fuel does eek the most optimum performance out of a highly strung vehicle.

Do you really classify 300bhp from 2l as highly strung these days? EA888 has been running at this sort of power for quite a few years now. If it was tuned into the 350-400bhp range (still from 2l) like some other makes then I might agree.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members