LCR Engine Warming Before putting foot down

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Very silly one here guys so sorry..

Anyways, my point is, i totally forgot that Id only been driving 6 or 7 minutes from cold before putting the pedal to the metal... (the temp needle was on half, and i know its only water temp) but im worrie about the oil not being warm enough .. ive never done this before, always let the car warm up properly. could i have damaged anything? and what, if anything can this cause in the long term.???

Last edited by a moderator:

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
true true..... i just get a complex about small things thats all ... so you reckon the cars alright then

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that when you floor it when the engine is cold then it spools up the turbo and all the cold oil goes in the turbo. Cold oil in turbo wears it out a lot quicker as it's higher viscosity. Similarly when you turn off the car after a hard run and there's still oil in the turbo it will stay in there and go cold. When you start next day cold oil in turbo makes it wear quicker. That's my understanding anyway.

I don't think it'll matter too much if you forget once in a while but don't make a habit of it.

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
i wouldnt blag about racing on a public highway on a public forum.;)
i would wait at least 10mins, 15 if very cold before assumimg the oil had reached operating temp.

oil temp gauge would be a good mod.

youll wear the engine much quicker running hard on cold oil.

ricky2609

Oh dear I hammer my cupra from cold all the time it goes quicker, it never occurred to me to let it get up to temperature !!!! :doh:

I always wait about 20 seconds before I switch it off to let the turbo wind down, hope i aint cause to much damage!!

warren_cox

Back from the dead
^^^
As per Robdon's comments.

Too many people I go out as a passenger with assume that as soon the water temp needle lifts off of the start point that the engine oil is on the way to being warmed up too.

If you stress the engine before it has warmed up the oil won't have circulated to all the vital components, and I guess it could cause valve wear, cam scoring, turbo damage etc... It won't necessarily be immediate, but over time it will build up and weaken components leading to a failure.

A good warm up / cool down regime is pretty essential in turbo charged cars, especially so when the oil is getting to the end of its sell by date.

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Oh dear I hammer my cupra from cold all the time it goes quicker, it never occurred to me to let it get up to temperature !!!! :doh:

I always wait about 20 seconds before I switch it off to let the turbo wind down, hope i aint cause to much damage!!

20 secs - I'd say at least 2 minutes before shutting off - you're doing a load of harm to your engine if you're doing both - all wrong I'm afraid!

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
I don't have a set routine, just take it easy for the first few miles / minutes until a bit after the water temperature has settled. I only really drive hard after the car has been going for some time and then take it easy for the last few miles of the journey.
It's difficult though when you want to use the power but know you shouldn't... :)

warren_cox

Back from the dead
The S3 has an oil temperature reading set within the service menu of the driver information system. It's painful to get to, then only stays on screen for about 10 seconds before returning to the main menu options (nice one Audi!). The water temp can be at 90 degrees and the oil temp is still down at 52. Takes another 7-10 minutes depending on weather conditions for the oil temp to reach normal operating temps (circa 90+).

ricky2609

2 minutes seems a bit of a long time before you switch off, after about 20-30 seconds the tubro should have wound right down and had plenty of oil circulated round it,

what i have always been told may be wrong though.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
2 minutes seems a bit of a long time before you switch off, after about 20-30 seconds the tubro should have wound right down and had plenty of oil circulated round it,

what i have always been told may be wrong though.

Its not so much it winding down as much as the turbo casing itself that gets red hot. Switch off and the oil left around the spindle will cook.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
gonna play devils advocate for a moment.Personally I always let me car warm up before i floor it, but at the same time, what do the manufactures say? I am sure they would have a hard time selling a motor if they told the driver that you have to let it warm up fully and sit in you drive way with the car idling for 20-30 secs when you are finished.
i am not totally convinced that this is a total prerequisite each time i use my car, yes it does help and I can see how letting the oil heat up would help it do its job , but have the manufactures in there stress testing of these engines not have taken this into consideration
In addition would they not have fitted an oil temp guage with a warming in the first place.

I am aware of this warming up and cooling down, but the average joe is not, so how many cars are out there still going strong without this procedure ever being performed.

Last edited:

turbin

I use my oil pressure gauge as indication. (parked in garage with 15c) Takes average 7mins to get oil pressure below 75PSI. Stay just below 75PSI all day long(normal RPM's) When parked outside -32c it took like 20mins to get below 75PSI. For cooldown I just stay off the boost the last 2-3mins. Plenty good.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
gonna play devils advocate for a moment.Personally I always let me car warm up before i floor it, but at the same time, what do the manufactures say? I am sure they would have a hard time selling a motor if they told the driver that you have to let it warm up fully and sit in you drive way with the car idling for 20-30 secs when you are finished.
i am not totally convinced that this is a total prerequisite each time i use my car, yes it does help and I can see how letting the oil heat up would help it do its job , but have the manufactures in there stress testing of these engines not have taken this into consideration
In addition would they not have fitted an oil temp guage with a warming in the first place.

I am aware of this warming up and cooling down, but the average joe is not, so how many cars are out there still going strong without this procedure ever being performed.

considering the lack of broken lcrs by the roadside id say your right. the adverage joe wont map or modify his lcr and as long as he drives normally it should be fine.

however members on here havnt driven normally, they have gone on track, pushed hard and broken things. even members that dont do this, often get mapped which is adding alot of extra heat to a standard car. so theres the potential for the tubby to get that much hotter...
and even if you keep everything standard, the none warmed up/cooled down i would imagine would show much more internal wear far quicker.

mrwookie

Big Daddy...
Mar 22, 2008
Cambs & Herts

Well put but in all fairness manufactors aren't really interested in preserving the longevity of the turbo, imo, as the current so called life span of a car these days is 10yrs, in manufactors eyes, and after all the cooling/warming is more for the sake of preserving the turbo I would say.

Like you say you don't here manufactors saying anything about it and having had a number of turbo and NA cars you only seem to get this sort of conversation with turbo cars...

Anyway thats my 2p worth......;):D

Oh and yea I also follow the Warm/Cool procedure religously.... :)

Last edited:

Lodgey180

WoOoOoOsShH
May 3, 2008
Middlesbrough
www.mootr.co.uk
manufacturers wont really care about what breaks once the warrenty has ran out anyway..

its for piece of mind you warm up and cool down.. i let mine idle for 1 min before i start driving then i keep it under 3k anyway
i know LCR's are powerfull but there is only so much you can do on a public road anyway.
and for the cool down i simply take it easy once getting towards my destination.
i know i wouldnt want to pay for a engine rebuild due to me not running it properlly

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.