LCR Secondary Water Pump

Well i took mine apart again yesterday and found that when i put it back together last time the carbon brush got jammed by the tension spring behind it. My advice is when you put the end back on as per the guide, put the thread through the spring (not the brush wire) to pull the brushes back.
My pump is now working perfectly, hopefully it'll last, if not i'll have to buy a new one.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Thread resurrection! My pump has been working intermittently for a few weeks now. I've checked the feed cable with a multimeter - if I unplug it while the pump is running immediately after engine shutdown then I get 12.1v, nice. If I unplug and check it when it's not running (but should be) then I get about 0.2 - 0.3v.

To me this sounds more like an electrical problem than a problem with the pump, surely?

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I will say though that i ended up replacing my pump about a month after i got it working because it failed again, lol.

OK, is yours definitely working properly now you've replaced it? Just had to change the turbo as the old one was failing so don't want to cut corners with keeping the new one in good order...

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
Ridiculous resurrection I know, but I didn't know the LCR had a the secondary water pump until stumbling across something else yesterday. I can't say I've ever heard a buzzing sound when turning off the engine and I've had my LCR over 2 years now.

Can anyone provide a short clip showing the sound it should make? I'm getting a bit worried mine hasn't been working for ages.

Last edited:

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
If mine hasn't been working, shouldn't Seat have picked up on that the last two times they've serviced it?

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
I had the car in the garage yesterday anyway, so asked them to check the secondary pump. Apparently it's working fine, but the guy mentioned you could only hear it buzzing when the engine is very hot. Is that normal, or should it be heard even after short journeys?

Mark One

Mar 4, 2009
Silverstone
I've recently had a weak sounding pump and refurbished mine back to full health, here's a few things I noticed:

1) I did see the 0.3v and the plug when I was expecting the full 12. This may be (as already mentioned) the cooling control unit detecting short-to-ground or open circuit - don't know if VCDS would show anything, sadly I didn't check. I solved this by idling for about 2 mins with the refurbished pump plugged in, it worked again.

2) I found had originally diagnosed this as a wiring problem - I could wiggle the wires near the pump and in certain orientations the pump would nearly die. This was actually moving the rear bearing of the pump slightly and causing the (degraded) motor brush to disconnect - so a pump problem, not a wiring problem

3) I took apart both ends of the pump. It's not completely necessary but it does allow you to get carbon out of both ends. The fix was simply to remove all the carbon and crap and make sure both brushes moved really freely in their runners. I had to use two loops of thread to hold the brushes away from the shaft during reassembly which was fiddly, but not possible.

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
I had the car in the garage yesterday anyway, so asked them to check the secondary pump. Apparently it's working fine, but the guy mentioned you could only hear it buzzing when the engine is very hot. Is that normal, or should it be heard even after short journeys?

Anyone?

Dave_Cupra88

Jan 30, 2012
Thanks 8bit. That's a bit worrying then, it sounds like it's not working in that case. Do you think Seat should have picked this up the last couple of times they serviced it?

If not, I guess I'll have to try and clean it as others have done.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members