LCR Secondary Water Pump

Hi,
My secondary water pump isn't working (the one that runs after turning the engine off for cooling the turbo).
It was making a loud noise for a couple of days working on and off so i decided to take it apart and clean it out as per this guide: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=129762&highlight=secondary+pump+guide
Now the pump isn't working at all. I've checked for voltage at to the connector and i'm only reading 0.27v.

My questions are:

Is there a fuse for this pump?
Is it safe to drive my car without the extra cooling for the turbo?
Is there a controller for the pump and if so where is it so i can see if it's damaged?

Thanks
Rich
:)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Is it possible to trace cable or does it just join to loom
If you have a manual there maybe a fuse board layout so you can check against it

Well i've been told that the controller for the pump is under the battery and that it's been known for the battery to leak acid onto the wiring causing problems so i'm gonna get the battery out at some point and have a look. Hopefully it'll be a quick wiring fix to get it back to working properly.
Thanks to JKM for the info.
Rich

Seat Gooner

A.K.A Mark
Feb 28, 2009
Wisbech
hello richybigman

I had my battery out today and there was no problems with my wires so i might go and try to find another pump

anybody know how to test one in the sense of plugging a feed into it and making it run ???

And also does anyone know what the voltage should be going into the pump ???

phatchoonz1

Feb 26, 2005
Orpington, Kent
I had grief with my LCR's secondary pump, but when I got the multi-meter on the wiring to check for a feed, there was almost next to nothing being supplied.
It turned out to be the pump that had failed, but it seemed that if the coolant control unit didn't see that the load / resistance of the pump was there, it wouldn't supply the power.
At the times when the pump would work for me, (which I believe is all the time the engine is running + 5mins or so after) it is fed with a 12v feed.
My recommendation would be to take the plunge and get the pump changed, it certainly cured it for me!!

Seat Gooner

A.K.A Mark
Feb 28, 2009
Wisbech
i presume that the 12v feed is there all the time and its not a case that it will only get 12v when it 'activated'..

This is what i was thinking maybe its a trickle then once activated 12v

I had grief with my LCR's secondary pump, but when I got the multi-meter on the wiring to check for a feed, there was almost next to nothing being supplied.
It turned out to be the pump that had failed, but it seemed that if the coolant control unit didn't see that the load / resistance of the pump was there, it wouldn't supply the power.
At the times when the pump would work for me, (which I believe is all the time the engine is running + 5mins or so after) it is fed with a 12v feed.
My recommendation would be to take the plunge and get the pump changed, it certainly cured it for me!!

i think you could be right there mate

Well there was no sign of damages wires under the battery, i think i'm gonna take the pump apart again and have a good look through it. I might fit new brushes as a precaution as well, although i think the original brushes should be making enough contact they might not have enough pressure to run.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I planned to take mine apart but on closer inspection it was leaking coolant through the electrical side.
On trying to pull it apart the bolts which old it together where siezed.
I ended up buying a new pump from Seat for £80 I think.

Job done and all working well now.
This has helped me keep my 106,000 mile KO 4 running sweet after 7 + years so well worth looking after

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The bolts hold the fluid end together.
With the coolant leaking out of the electrical end and running down to the fluid end and onto these bolts they were seized.
On trying to back them off I sheared one so had to buy a new pump.

Seat Gooner

A.K.A Mark
Feb 28, 2009
Wisbech
Just done some tests on these when they are not active they have a 0.30 v running through them and when active they have 12v running through

I got hold of a second hand pump and put it on and now every time i turn off the secondary pump runs :D

conclusion is try cleaning 1st if no joy replace it hope this helps :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.