LCR stuttering on full load after 3000rpm

seat_cr

Hey guys my LCR has a stage 1 remap and has been running sweet as a nut for the last 5 months. About a week ago when giving it some boost the car hesitated and I could hear a weird stuttering sound which I think is a mis-fire and the car didn't build up boost or rev freely. I let off straight away, after this the EML flashed quite a few times but then disappeared.

I tried it again and the same happened only after 3000rpm and on full load, so I just drove home off boost.

I bought one of those diagnostic scanners Launch Creader V in the hope I would be able to find the problem but no luck as there was no EML showing. I also took out each of the coil packs and plugs and couldn't really see any distinct issues or notice any unusual smell from the coilpacks.

There are no issues driving light throttle upto 5000rpm and under 3000rpm on full load.

So I took it to a garage today who put it on their diagnostic machine, however they did not find any error codes as the EML was not on. Once they plugged it into Vag-com and took it for a drive they noticed the following codes which appeared only on full load after 3000rpm:

p0300 - multiple cylinder misfire detected
p0304 - cylinder 4 misfire detected

Am I right in thinking this is a coil-pack issue?

Shmoo

Feb 8, 2011
Berwick upon Tweed
yes it more than likely your coil pack that's going down. Its maybes worth check your spark plugs if they have not been changed for a while.

seat_cr

Thanks mate, the garage put some new plugs in today so guess must be the coilpacks. Going to order some tomorrow and see how it goes.

Deanolfc5times

I'm having what sounds like exactly the same issue at the moment on my Mk 3 Ibiza Cupra. If you can keep me updated on how you get on it would be appreciated.

Dean

seat_cr

Okay set of new coilpacks came in yesterday and I replaced all four with the new ones. Put everything back together and did a small prayer. Started the car... So far so good. Took it out for a drive and it felt strong off boost. So the moment of truth came and I put a bit more throttle... No misfire! Found a nice open stretch of road and floored it.... The car just came alive kept pulling and pulling nice and strong! No misfire and boy did it feel good on full boost :)

So I'm happy to say thanks to the members on this forum it was the coil pack. I'm quite sure it was just coilpack 4 as the fault code showed but as I didn't know how old the others were I just went and replaced all of them.

seat_cr

You are right coils 3 & 4 are in an awkward place. I found a guide on here on how to change the coils, once you do it its not really that bad. Just remember to label where everything goes or take a picture before you start for reference.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members