Leaon Cupra ST / Bridgestone Potenza RA050A with rain

Speedy1205

Mar 21, 2011
Hi Guys,

I just got my Seat leon Cupra ST 280 2 days ago and I really enjoy it when its dry. I love this care and the Handling is really amazing! The Problem is when its getting wet, even just a little bit with some rain and than the driving is getting very sleepy.

I got the Bridgestone Potenza RA050A 235/35/19 which are looking like new (car just has 3000 km). Not sure if I see this sliding only with my tires, but sometimes its really getting annoying.

On my Golf I have the Dunlop Sport Max on it and they are great when its dry and wet, and this car is not sliding at all.

(And no, not driving in Cupra Profile)

Anyone can tell some about this tires by wet ? I`m thinking about changing them to some different tires.

Snah

Jul 7, 2014
Netherlands
I have also the Potenza's and on wet they really suck.
Thanks to the Diff lock it is still quite drivable.
In 2-3 weeks I will switch to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports having done 25K miles with the front tyres.
Also the annoying Front axle hopping will be cured as well due to the much better grip.

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
These were fitted as standard on my Octavia vRS. TBH they struggled with 200bhp in the dry, never mind the wet. Must be crap in the Cupra.

GY Eagle F1's are much better or what Ocularis said, if you're feeling flush.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I suspect that you would have a tendency to oversteer with grippy tyres on the front only. Better to replace them all round.

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
I have only done 1500 miles on my cupra but I am tempted to buy two super sports for the front so that I can enjoy the performance for the rest of the summer.

Am I nuts?

Car should be fine. I've got super sports on the front of mine and the oe bridgestones on the back. Ok it's an fr and not a cupra but it still doesn't want to oversteer easily. In fact I had more fun with oversteer on a 1.0l focus courtesy car than I can with the Leon.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Car should be fine. I've got super sports on the front of mine and the oe bridgestones on the back. Ok it's an fr and not a cupra but it still doesn't want to oversteer easily. In fact I had more fun with oversteer on a 1.0l focus courtesy car than I can with the Leon.

Have you found the pss tyres a big improvement Neil ?

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
Have you found the pss tyres a big improvement Neil ?

Yeah they're fantastic. Grip and steering feel massively improved. On a dry road I struggle to get it lose grip -I'm sure that won't be the case with the cupra lol! Wear doesn't appear any worse either.

Speedy1205

Mar 21, 2011
Thanks Guys,

Ok at least I know that I`m not the only one seeing this issues. I just have 3500 km on the car, so I guess I need to drive them a bit more before my wife will allow to change them :)

I was even thinking about the Pirelli P Zero as I was reading a lot of goods about them. Michelin would be my last choice as I had with them a lot trouble on my last Seat Leon but time change maybe I should give them a try.

Thanks all for the Feedback :)

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Hi Guys,

I just got my Seat leon Cupra ST 280 2 days ago and I really enjoy it when its dry. I love this care and the Handling is really amazing! The Problem is when its getting wet, even just a little bit with some rain and than the driving is getting very sleepy.

I got the Bridgestone Potenza RA050A 235/35/19 which are looking like new (car just has 3000 km). Not sure if I see this sliding only with my tires, but sometimes its really getting annoying.

On my Golf I have the Dunlop Sport Max on it and they are great when its dry and wet, and this car is not sliding at all.

Anyone can tell some about this tires by wet ? I`m thinking about changing them to some different tires.

Got the same problem on my Cupra speedy. They are simply awful in the wet! Was driving home last night and even with the throttle/engine in eco mode, it was near impossible to get any traction when accelerating.

Del80y

Apr 2, 2014
Essex
Hi Guys,

Bridgestone Potenza RA050A this is your problem

TMO

Feb 15, 2008
Stafford, Staffs
I have also the Potenza's and on wet they really suck.
Thanks to the Diff lock it is still quite drivable.
In 2-3 weeks I will switch to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports having done 25K miles with the front tyres.
Also the annoying Front axle hopping will be cured as well due to the much better grip.

Wow you managed 25k on the stock tyres? I've only done 11k and they need doing already, you seriously don't drive your Cupra properly :p

Matt280

Jan 14, 2015
Wow you managed 25k on the stock tyres? I've only done 11k and they need doing already, you seriously don't drive your Cupra properly :p

I agree, i would never class myself as being heavy on tyres but i think i'm going to be replacing the Bridgestones after around 12000 miles - and i have rotated front to back to even the wear. (I want to put on four Michelin PSS in on go!)

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
The Bridgestone Potenzas (AKA Pretenders) were awful. Very happy to have them on the back doing little, but for a driven / steered wheel they had to go. I ended up going for Avon ZZ5's, after getting on very well with ZV3's on my old VRs, very happy with them. And £97 / corner fitted!

twitchynik

Sep 12, 2006
My ST Cupra came shod with Conti SC5's on the multi spoke option wheels.

Was pleased it didn't come with the Brisgestone's seeing all this feedback about them.

Also had them on my ST 184 so have got some familiarity with the rubber. Will see how they compare on the Cupra when I've put some miles on it and start to chuck it about....

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
SC5's are so bloody noisy though. Couldn't wait to finally get rid of the last 2 that were fitted to my ST. Must be even worse on the 19" Cupra alloys (?)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise