Leaving home without auto headlights

Stig555

Mar 27, 2012
Once and for all, can you set up leaving home without auto headlights?
I have read through all the older threads here and can't find a definitive answer.
Coming home works by flashing the high beams, but I can't seem to figure out leaving home.
Any input would be appreciated.

Yes you can. Just leave the headlights turned on, they will go off after the time you set.

OMG! He's asking about LEAVING HOME lights... not coming home!

And I'm not going to be any help, because I've read all the threads and was similarly confused as some people seemed to suggest it was possible, others didn't. It also gets complicated because some were talking about Cupra's which came with Xenons, others talking about FR's with the optional convenience pack, then start throwing in Pre-FL and FL cars...

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
If you have leaving home and coming home lights ticked in vcds you can set the time it takes for them to go off again. Mine is set at 10 secs, however as above they only work if the headlight switch is set to on.

This bugged me at first but actually works well as I do alot of night shifts, so I leave the stalk on during nights and off during the day when i want my drls at 100% brightness anyway

Last edited:

Stig555

Mar 27, 2012
When you leave the lights switch in the 'on' position the lights stay on after locking the car and won't turn off.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Indeed. Yes it works, is just hidden by default. But the lights must be left in the on position as mentioned.

I enabled mine using vcds many years ago, works a treat.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
So the coming/leaving home only works if left set to "auto" lights? (if your car has this option) I've been trying to figure out why mine don't work lol

Last edited:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
My lights(when in auto) stay lit for about 20 seconds after I lock the car, when I return to the car ( get as near as so the fob will work)and unlock it the lights come back on, handy in an unlit car park at Murrayfield since it lets me find my car in amongst the others in the dark.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
I leave the auto lights off because it just puts the headlights on regardless of how bright it actually is

Ben750

May 14, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorks.
OMG! He's asking about LEAVING HOME lights... not coming home!

And I'm not going to be any help, because I've read all the threads and was similarly confused as some people seemed to suggest it was possible, others didn't. It also gets complicated because some were talking about Cupra's which came with Xenons, others talking about FR's with the optional convenience pack, then start throwing in Pre-FL and FL cars...

No need to be so dramatic! I just misread. Anyway point stands, leave the headlights turned on and when you unlock the car the lights will come on for the time set.

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
mine stay on for about 20 seconds but dont come on when i unlock the car:confused:
You probably haven't ticked the setting in vcds for leaving home. There are 2 seperate boxes. One for coming home so locking, and one for leaving home so unlocking

Last edited:

Stig555

Mar 27, 2012
I connected the vagcom yesterday, and no luck. I can get coming home to work by flashing the high beams before exiting the car.

I turned on leaving home and set the timer for 20 seconds but it won't work. If my light switch is in the off position the headlights obviously don't turn on upon unlocking the car. If I leave my headlights on the on position and lock the car, the parking lights (side lights) stay on along with the gauges and the aircon backlight sand they never turn off.

Am I missing something here?

HasF

Sep 13, 2013
Will have to try this on mine when i get home.

I just assumed without auto lights it wouldnt work!

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
Can't remember without looking but think you can set the option in vcds as to whether your sidelights or headlights stay on or both. Think its same with high beam. Have a proper look through and double check all the settings. It should be as simple as selecting the right ones, leaving your headlight switch on dipped beam get out and lock it. Lights will stay on for set time. Mine is 10 secs, and will do same when you unlock also. From memory I don't think they work unless you have cycled the ignition between coming and going if that makes sense

Stig555

Mar 27, 2012
Thanks for the input, but I played around with the vagcom for two hours with no success. Any chance you can share your exact settings?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
You dont need to leave in the Auto position.

Mine is an 08 Pre Facelift with Convienence Pack. As has been said you can set the delay for both Coming Home and Leaving Home function in the MFD (I have Bluetooth and therefore the larger MFD to enable me to be able to set the time of the delay, in cars without Bluetooth you 'may' need to enable by VAGCOM but i am not sure to be honest.

Turn off car, leave the Headlights to 'On' OR 'Auto' (i never have mine in Auto).

When you lock the car via the remote the lights will stay on for your chosen length of time (what you chose in the MFD).

When you unlock the car the lights again come on for your chosen length of time (the switch must have been set to 'On' or 'Auto' when you locked it.

;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.