LED Headlights - Anyone had one fail ?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just curious - has anyone ever had an LED headlight fail ?

I know there has been the auto levelling issue that the dealers know how to fix ( new levelling motor ) - but has anyone had the actual light unit fail ?

SEAT are saying that they are not covered under their extended warranties because the warranty does not cover "blown bulbs"

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
‘Blown bulbs’ oh but there not bulbs there light emitting diodes

I have wondered what seat will do when the LEDs burnout. But tbf the power supply will probably go first. Which is replaceable.

I managed to get hold of a second hand headlight unit which I disassembled successfully and have a good understanding of how it works. Along with the specific LEDs used.

So I’m sure I could repair them if it ever came to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niallain

Apr 9, 2017
Cardiff
I would expect them to be covered for the lifetime of the car. They state in the owners manual that they will last a lifetime.

By definition of LED, a Light Emitting Diode is not a bulb, so it cannot blow.

Reactions: LouG

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Agreed fully - they are not bulbs.

BUT - they have dug their heels in when I asked them to confirm that £700 headlights would be covered under the extended warranty.

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
If you can find where it says lifetime guarantee then I would tell them to quantify lifetime.

Have you actually got an led burned out?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Have you actually got an led burned out?

No - only had the auto levelling issue.

The local dealer has an offer on currently for extending the SEAT "All Components" warranty on my 3 yr old Leon for two years but have come back when challenged and said the headlights would not be covered.

psychobob

Oct 6, 2005
Near Cardiff
From page 234 of the owners manual:

"Full-LED headlight system*
Full-LED headlights handle all light functions
(daylight, side light, turn signal, dipped
beam and route light) with light emitting diodes
(LEDs) as a light source.

Full-LED headlights are designed to last the
lifetime of the car and light bulbs cannot be
replaced. In case of headlight failure, go to
an authorised workshop to have it replaced.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
From page 234 of the owners manual:

"Full-LED headlight system*
Full-LED headlights handle all light functions
(daylight, side light, turn signal, dipped
beam and route light) with light emitting diodes
(LEDs) as a light source.

Full-LED headlights are designed to last the
lifetime of the car and light bulbs cannot be
replaced. In case of headlight failure, go to
an authorised workshop to have it replaced.

Cool - I will dig that page out and enlighten them

Cheers

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I would be expecting mine replaced under the extended warranty if anything happens it. Its one of the reasons I took the cover out.

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
I had a non-functional main beam on one side. Dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty.

[However this didn’t fix it so they replaced the whole unit again (?!) before deciding it was a wiring fault and had the car for a week while they stripped out the front end to find it. Service manager said it took 20hrs labour: never been happier to have a warranty]

Oceansplasher

Mar 1, 2016
Only Slightly off topic, but what auto levelling issue do I need to be aware of? Can someone direct me to a post on said issue please.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Only Slightly off topic, but what auto levelling issue do I need to be aware of? Can someone direct me to a post on said issue please.

When you start the engine ( lights on auto or just on ) - the headlights go through a cycle that lowers them and then brings them up to the correct level.

The fault is that one ( or both ) don't come up to the correct level.

Usually happens when its 0c or lower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-daUWXRUna8

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
There is someone on the forum in which their LED DRLs have gone from a blue/white to very yellow...not sure if that one is on it's way out or not.

In fact does anyone knows the tell tale signs of LED lights failing. Dimming? Going yellow maybe?

For halogen, yes they get dimmer over time, and then one day they may flicker and go pop!

Bi-Xenons, I suspect, they tend to turn from white/blue light to purple, before they go pop..

LEDs, time will tell! Or do they go pop at all?

Saying that, i have seen before a 2005? Passat with LED tail lights, and noticed that some were not working...

These ones:
2010-volkswagen-passat-komfort-sedan-taillight.png

So I guess they can fail ultimately....

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
I actually drove past someone yesterday where the DRL led strip wasn't on so guess it had failed

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I actually drove past someone yesterday where the DRL led strip wasn't on so guess it had failed

Could be...or it could be they have Carista (like me) or VCDS, and turned them off....

At least on mine...when handbrake is on, my DRLs go off, even managed to put a function on the infotainment to turn them off completely.

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
Nah it was only the right hand side one, the winking looks not a great one if thats what they were going for

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
led lights deffo do fail
rear tail light on my 65 cupra 280 sub 8 replaced by dealer
at approx. one year old
:(

Indeed, but was that due to end of LED lifespan, or something else went (circuit, wires, control unit) etc.

Did both fail, or one did, and so now you have one new and one orginal LED taillight?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members