LED headlights

Walpurgis

Feb 5, 2013
I am intrigued by the LED headlights and frustrated that none of the reviews I have seen so far say whether/how the lights are different/better/worse than conventional or HID lights. (As usual, most of the reviews seem to bang on about hard and soft plastics and don't tell you, for example, how effective or easy-to-use the touchscreen infotainment system is.)

So I've been doing some Internet research and discovered, among other things, that a JD Power driver survey in the USA last year found that LED headlights are the technology option that drivers most desire in their next car. (I find that I am not allowed to post URLs here, but there is a report on the survey on AutoGuide.com dated 26 April).

So the LED lights should help with resale values - at least for the next two or three years until every car has them.

In terms of the technology, LED headlights produce most of their heat at the back of the lamp rather than the front, as happens with conventional lamps. This means, for a start, that they won't melt snow and ice from the headlight cover. I wonder whether SEAT have made provision for this?

The heat at the back has to be removed effectively to prevent the LEDs from overheating, which shortens their lives. This is sometimes done using fans, which might introduce reliability problems. It will be interesting to see how SEAT are removing the heat. Incidentally, LEDs get brighter as they get colder, so this aspect needs to controlled as well.

One of the potential attractions of LEDs is their long lives. In theory, they could last as long as the car, and SEAT boasts about their long lives in its promotional literature. So I wonder whether they will be covered by the warranty like other long-lasting parts of the car. If not, what will replacement headlights cost? If the cost of the headlight option in almost £1,000 (if not bought as part of a technology pack), the cost of replacement LEDs and their cooling/control systems could be quite steep, and that's before labour costs. The early adopters will be guineapigs for the new technology and this could be costly if the lights are not covered by the warranty and have reliability problems.

Finally, I came across a Spanish video review of the new Leon in which the daylight running LEDS seem to be doing some odd things at about 3.56 and 4.59 in the video (again no URL, but the site is called coches.net and the review was posted on 29 January). Do these lights double as indicators? Even if that is the case, it doesn't explain the second phenomenon - unless the LEDs are acting as hazard warning lights. Any ideas?

Perhaps someone who has earned the right to post URLs on this site could post the links mentioned above.

northernmonkey

The way I see it, they can't be any worse than the lights on my MK2 Leon...they just don't seem very good on mine compared to my previous cars?

I don't think its so much a new technology now....its been around for a little while on Mercs, Audis etc. so I presume those guys will know best if there are issues!

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
As above, LED headlights have been around for a while now on the more luxury cars. the leon is the first in it's segment to get the technology so I am pretty sure all areas would have been covered. Will be interesting to see what a set of headlights would cost though.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
The DRL LED strip will fade when the indicators are working so other road users can see the indicator clearly (they are also LED but seperate to the DRL), this is the same on all cars fitted with DRL, check out the next Audi you see :D

I am in Austria at the moment and Auto Bild Magazine has a test on headlights of 12 cars including the new LEON, the LEON comes joint 2nd with the A7 and Merc CLS, the BMW 6 Series comes first, did try to find it on line but couldnt see it.´

Rob

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
How curious :-/

I have HIDs on the bimmer and one of them has been having start up issues recently. I replaced the entire OEM setup, which is apparently £400+, for £36 with bits from china (£30 single-side HID kit + £6 for a pair of bulbs)

My understanding was HIDs (like energy-saving bulbs) require a bit of power to start them off, but then run very efficiently, and cold, in operation.

So why would you - as a manufacturer - go to all the trouble of developing LEDs ? :shrug:

They'll be saying they're not happy with the shape of the wheels next...

Walpurgis

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for the replies so far. Since my original post, I have had a look at some forums where Audi owners generally seem pleased with the performance of their LED headlights.

But I also found a report from the US ConsumerReports organisation which tested the LED headlights on an Audi A8 last year and concluded that "while the Audi's LED lights glowed with a bright intensity similar to that of HID lamps, their overall performance was unimpressive in our testing. We found a sharp cutoff at the top of their beam, and a shorter reach on both high and low beams than a good set of conventional halogen or HID bulbs." They also point out that the headlights would be costly to replace, if damaged.

Deleted member 74601

How curious :-/

I have HIDs on the bimmer and one of them has been having start up issues recently. I replaced the entire OEM setup, which is apparently £400+, for £36 with bits from china (£30 single-side HID kit + £6 for a pair of bulbs)

My understanding was HIDs (like energy-saving bulbs) require a bit of power to start them off, but then run very efficiently, and cold, in operation.

So why would you - as a manufacturer - go to all the trouble of developing LEDs ? :shrug:

They'll be saying they're not happy with the shape of the wheels next...

LEDs have much longer shelf life than a standard halogen, or HID bulb. They're also much lower power than standard halogen bulbs, and a fair bit lower than HID (although HIDs are lower than halogen). You only need a couple of watts on an LED bulb to get the same light output as a 70w halogen bulb.

bigdan82

Just upgraded my order of my new Leon with the full led headlights, hopefully that was a wise choice.

I first thought an extra 950£ for front headlights in led was too much but then changed my mind cause it felt wrong to order a car for 210£ and not go all the way and the lights look so damn cool :)

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Just upgraded my order of my new Leon with the full led headlights, hopefully that was a wise choice.

I first thought an extra 950£ for front headlights in led was too much but then changed my mind cause it felt wrong to order a car for 210£ and not go all the way and the lights look so damn cool :)

Even cheaper in the UK at the moment, the entire technology pack (Nav, DAB & LEDs) is currently only £500. Well worth having at that price IMO!

bigdan82

Even cheaper in the UK at the moment, the entire technology pack (Nav, DAB & LEDs) is currently only £500. Well worth having at that price IMO!

Yeah thats an amazing package, in Sweden we dont have that one unfortunately :(

coxxic

Sep 29, 2006
CZ
www.absolutsystem.com
from what I´ve learnt so far it is a shame the LED headlights don´t have AFS capability at the moment. As I´m used to having bi-x with the AFS, the LED headlights are not the right step forward in all aspects for me, although they look good and most likely have the same light power output as the bi-x at least with less consumption of power.

Last edited:

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
from what I´ve learnt so far it is a shame the LED headlights don´t have AFS capability at the moment. As I´m used to having bi-x with the AFS, the LED headlights are not the right step forward in all aspects for me, although they look good and most likely have the same light power output as the bi-x at least with less consumption of power.

From what I have read the LED headlights are brighter than the bi-xenons by alot. They do raise up or down when you are driving to compensate for the front of the car raising or lowering under load to keep a good distance of vision. Not read anything about AFS but I am sure it must include this function, might dig around a little more to confirm.

Walpurgis

Feb 5, 2013

The Leon is using BiLED headlights from the French manufacturer Valeo. Ford is also using these LEDs in its Lincoln MKZ and Mondeo ranges. According to one online report, Ford has developed adaptive lighting functions which adjust beam pattern to vehicle speed and cornering attitude to provide the best possible illumination of the road ahead without dazzling oncoming vehicle. I'm not sure whether this is the same as AFS but it looks like it's up to the vehicle manufacturer to provide these functions and it doesn't look like SEAT are offering similar functions - for now.

In a recent interview, a Valeo r&d director predicted that xenon headlights will almost disappear within ten years with LEDs taking about 80% of the market. He also said that LEDs are twice as efficient as xenons and five times more efficient than halogen, and could cut CO2 emissions by up to 2.8g per km.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I am currently living in Germany and I am looking to purchase a new RHD Leon FR; however, does anyone know if the LED headlights can be 'flat beamed' in a similar fashion to xenon or halogen projector lights (i.e. via onboard computer, VCDS, dealer or mechanical mirror)?

I have had a look through the user manual on an FR in the dealership here (in German but nothing obvious), but cannot see the usual VAG information refering to a 'tourist mode'.

Thanks in advance for any assitance.

MK_FR

May 20, 2007
Finland
Finnish car magazine tested Leon's LED headlights about a month ago against approx. 20 other cars and all xenons and most of the halogen lights (including Leon's standard lights) were much better than LED lights.

They look nice but aren't very powerfull..

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
It seems that the LED headlights of the new Leon are quite a controversial topic.
Auto Bild in Germany did a test of headlights with different models from halogen, bi-xenon to LED lights.

Seat Leon was the 2nd overall in that test, leaving behind such cars like Audi A7, Lexus GS, VW Passat etc. The winner of the test was the BMW 6-series.
So judhging from their tests they should be great.

MK_FR

May 20, 2007
Finland
Finnish magazine only tested the performance of different lights.. Below is a link to an image where Leon's LED range / view distance in dark is compared against 6 bi-xenons (Volvo, BMW, Audi, Mazda, 2 x Toyota).

http :// s23. postimage. org/ cif18doyz/ lights.png

I have too few messages sent to this forum to post links so just remove those empty fields from link.. :)

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Finnish magazine only tested the performance of different lights.. Below is a link to an image where Leon's LED range / view distance in dark is compared against 6 bi-xenons (Volvo, BMW, Audi, Mazda, 2 x Toyota).

http :// s23. postimage. org/ cif18doyz/ lights.png

I have too few messages sent to this forum to post links so just remove those empty fields from link.. :)

lights.png

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.