LED headlights

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
I'd like to see more progress on the tech/safety side of the headlights. That said they are a massive improvement from what i was used to. I've driven cars with the aforementioned tech on and i'm dubious as to its state of readiness for the public. As such i'll happily take the benefit the LED's give as they are and hopefully next upgrade of motor for me will include some those systems when more refined.

manc1988

Hi, Can anyone help me with this? I take delivery of my leon on Monday and was wondering if anyone knows whether the LED lights can be converted in the settings to make them comply in Europe, or do i need to buy some beam converters when i take the care to France in a fortnight?

I've tried asking the dealer but no one has a clue :S

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
Hi, Can anyone help me with this? I take delivery of my leon on Monday and was wondering if anyone knows whether the LED lights can be converted in the settings to make them comply in Europe, or do i need to buy some beam converters when i take the care to France in a fortnight?

I've tried asking the dealer but no one has a clue :S

Which dealer?

I've answered this for someone else on this forum or another. Happy to give the info. Basically the manual says that if you are just a tourist in that country the lights comply with regulations with regards to light distribution on other European roads. The manual also goes onto say that if you plan on staying for any serious length of time you need them changed. Hope that helps?

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Theres definitely something ive read in the Leon literature that states that the lights do something to stop dazzling other drivers.....?

Andy

Ahh, OK , now Ive got mine and had a look through the handbook, I knew Id seen something mentioned about the lights moving.
Its this:
The lights move up when you go above 70mph to give an extended view of the road ahead.

That was it, i knew id seen something!:blink:

Andy

bjwilliams16

Jul 27, 2013
Which dealer?

I've answered this for someone else on this forum or another. Happy to give the info. Basically the manual says that if you are just a tourist in that country the lights comply with regulations with regards to light distribution on other European roads. The manual also goes onto say that if you plan on staying for any serious length of time you need them changed. Hope that helps?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - so to drive abroad, no adjustment at all is needed? I drove my new Leon with LED lights in the dark last night, and I'm sure they were lighting up the left hand kerb like 'normal' headlights. If they don't need adjustment that's great, but I'll be twitching the first time I pass a gendarme going the other way :whistle:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
If you worried, use some black tape or use the beam converter stickers you can buy
While its not needed on the mk3, it makes it look to any french plod that you have done something as they just love to ticket UK registered cars and its a lot easier for the French plod to see something than it is to try and convince them in french that you didn't need beam converters because it says in the Manual the light are ok for temporary use in Europe

Walpurgis

Feb 5, 2013
Audi has just announced the availability of LED headlights for the A3. A £2,000 pack includes the headlights, LED rear lights and interior lighting, and rain and light sensors. You can also get the headlights alone for £795 for the S and S3 models. (Audi describes them as being the first LED headlights for the "premium compact class". Obviously it doesn't regard the Leon as fitting into this class.)

In view of the discussion above, it is interesting to see that Audi uses GPS data from the satnav to automatically adjust the headlamp beams for right-hand-drive countries to avoid blinding oncoming drivers (assuming it's set up for LHD in the first place).

More details here

slo007

Jun 15, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
Thanks for the replies so far. Since my original post, I have had a look at some forums where Audi owners generally seem pleased with the performance of their LED headlights.

But I also found a report from the US ConsumerReports organisation which tested the LED headlights on an Audi A8 last year and concluded that "while the Audi's LED lights glowed with a bright intensity similar to that of HID lamps, their overall performance was unimpressive in our testing. We found a sharp cutoff at the top of their beam, and a shorter reach on both high and low beams than a good set of conventional halogen or HID bulbs." They also point out that the headlights would be costly to replace, if damaged.

CR always complains of headlights with a sharp cutoff. My Acura TSX (Honda Accord) with HID lights were the best ever and CR said they were poor due to the cutoff across the top. Mind you, the cutoff was to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. It worked excellent in my opinion!

I was even stopped by a police officer who thought they were illegal aftermarket bulbs (too bright)!

I haven't received my Leon yet, so cannot comment on the LEDs.

jonnor

The led headlights on my new Leon are great. So bright in fact quite a few oncoming drivers flash me thinking my dipped lights are on full beam. The leds are much better than the headlights on my old Passat.

Seanm

Jan 21, 2014
Glasgow
Sorry if this has been asked , Im wondering if the LED headlights would be able to fit easily into my leon with standard halogen lights if i bought the headlights separate would i need any wires or would it be a straight swap.
I dont know anything about electronics in cars :confused:

Thanks

Tom_91

Feb 9, 2015
St. Albans
Sorry if this has been asked , Im wondering if the LED headlights would be able to fit easily into my leon with standard halogen lights if i bought the headlights separate would i need any wires or would it be a straight swap.
I dont know anything about electronics in cars :confused:

Thanks

Not possible due to the auto leveling sensors needed.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.