Leon Cupra 290 - Formentor VZ2 Comparison

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Thought I would post a little update after taking delivery of the car on the 17th of May and more specifically in comparison to my Leon Cupra 290 that went back on the same day. Car was delivered by D M Keith through a broker and the service from both was fantastic I have to say.

First impressions were that the interior is a massive step up in terms of fit, feel and quality. It feels a lot more 'special' to sit in than the Leon did as nice as that was. The seats are fantastic with a huge amount of adjustment available, no headroom complaints at all, and I’m 6ft just for reference. It does feel very different and whilst there is only so much that you can do with the same base VW parts it really does feel out there on its own.

Next big impression is obviously the infotainment and lack of any physical buttons! anyone who is used to a VW group car will have a fair bit of familiarity to how everything works but it does take a bit of setting up and getting used to. I love technology so do really appreciate the amount of customisation that’s available but i would think could be a little daunting on first run through if someone is not massively tech savvy.
Took quite a bit of setting up but given that the car is used regularly by both me and my Fiancée love the fact that the keys can take the memory of the seat an mirrors, is a strong feeling opening the door and the seat moving itself already into the position for me!

So far so good in that fingers crossed I have not had any of the bugs that a few people on here have had, car is a recent build and has the latest software so am hoping that they are now getting on top of those issues that seemed to of plagued most of the new iteration of VW group cars.

Next onto the actual drive, immediately it feels a lot smoother and quieter that my old Leon. In comfort mode it really does ride the same bumps and holes in the road a lot better. Not sure if it’s the bigger tyre sidewalls the higher ride height or just a better tuned set up but the difference is really noticeable an a lot more relaxing to drive. That's a big plus for me as i really enjoy the fact that the car can be a bit Jekyll and Hyde in terms of how it drives.

In terms of pace, it doesn’t feel quite as instant an electric as the old car, although I will reserve some judgement on that as it took at least 2,000 miles for the engine to loosen up an give up better performance. One thing that is a big improvement is traction, in the Leon I would at certain junctions always switch into manual mode so that I could change up early to stop the wheels slipping, the Formentor has no such issues you really can just leave it to its own devices and it hasn’t broken traction at all. The steering feels a lot livelier as well so again they have obviously been pretty busy tuning the suspension set up.

I do think though that because everything feels that bit better put together you don’t notice the car building speed in the same way as you did in the Leon, will check that out once the engine is run in fully as have a Dragy box and some data from my old car to compare against. I do think though that the feeling of speed feels quite a bit different, in that because it’s that bit better put together and better insulated you don’t feel it quite the same.

All in all though am really impressed with it so far, feels a lot more grown up than the Leon did
Formentor.jpg

Tormentor

May 3, 2021
Thought I would post a little update after taking delivery of the car on the 17th of May and more specifically in comparison to my Leon Cupra 290 that went back on the same day. Car was delivered by D M Keith through a broker and the service from both was fantastic I have to say.

First impressions were that the interior is a massive step up in terms of fit, feel and quality. It feels a lot more 'special' to sit in than the Leon did as nice as that was. The seats are fantastic with a huge amount of adjustment available, no headroom complaints at all, and I’m 6ft just for reference. It does feel very different and whilst there is only so much that you can do with the same base VW parts it really does feel out there on its own.

Next big impression is obviously the infotainment and lack of any physical buttons! anyone who is used to a VW group car will have a fair bit of familiarity to how everything works but it does take a bit of setting up and getting used to. I love technology so do really appreciate the amount of customisation that’s available but i would think could be a little daunting on first run through if someone is not massively tech savvy.
Took quite a bit of setting up but given that the car is used regularly by both me and my Fiancée love the fact that the keys can take the memory of the seat an mirrors, is a strong feeling opening the door and the seat moving itself already into the position for me!

So far so good in that fingers crossed I have not had any of the bugs that a few people on here have had, car is a recent build and has the latest software so am hoping that they are now getting on top of those issues that seemed to of plagued most of the new iteration of VW group cars.

Next onto the actual drive, immediately it feels a lot smoother and quieter that my old Leon. In comfort mode it really does ride the same bumps and holes in the road a lot better. Not sure if it’s the bigger tyre sidewalls the higher ride height or just a better tuned set up but the difference is really noticeable an a lot more relaxing to drive. That's a big plus for me as i really enjoy the fact that the car can be a bit Jekyll and Hyde in terms of how it drives.

In terms of pace, it doesn’t feel quite as instant an electric as the old car, although I will reserve some judgement on that as it took at least 2,000 miles for the engine to loosen up an give up better performance. One thing that is a big improvement is traction, in the Leon I would at certain junctions always switch into manual mode so that I could change up early to stop the wheels slipping, the Formentor has no such issues you really can just leave it to its own devices and it hasn’t broken traction at all. The steering feels a lot livelier as well so again they have obviously been pretty busy tuning the suspension set up.

I do think though that because everything feels that bit better put together you don’t notice the car building speed in the same way as you did in the Leon, will check that out once the engine is run in fully as have a Dragy box and some data from my old car to compare against. I do think though that the feeling of speed feels quite a bit different, in that because it’s that bit better put together and better insulated you don’t feel it quite the same.

All in all though am really impressed with it so far, feels a lot more grown up than the Leon did
View attachment 24953
Great review. Is that Graphene Grey?

Cupradev

May 10, 2021

View attachment 24953
Great write up. Re-affirms what others have said and what reviewers have reported. In terms of broker and DM Keith, may I ask which broker and which DMKeith you dealt with?

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Great write up. Re-affirms what others have said and what reviewers have reported. In terms of broker and DM Keith, may I ask which broker and which DMKeith you dealt with?
Sure I dealt with Synergy Leasing, but more through the fact that I use them for through work. They’ve been great though an normally can always match the best deals available. I think they dealt with the Cupra branch at York but it was actually the logistics manager that delivered the car from Leeds. Interestingly said I had helped him make up his mind on car colour choice an interior colour! We went with the blue leather an have to say it looks great especially the dash

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Mine, when it eventually arrives is the same colour. Top detailing job!
Thank you, won’t stay like it for too long unfortunately lots of building work round us so plenty of dust! Quick snow foam does the trick though now I’ve done the hard work prepping the car

Reactions: Tormentor

Cupradev

May 10, 2021
Sure I dealt with Synergy Leasing, but more through the fact that I use them for through work. They’ve been great though an normally can always match the best deals available. I think they dealt with the Cupra branch at York but it was actually the logistics manager that delivered the car from Leeds. Interestingly said I had helped him make up his mind on car colour choice an interior colour! We went with the blue leather an have to say it looks great especially the dash
Thanks for that. My lease is through Leasing Options, car was allegedly built week21 and due into dealer first week July. I was confused because I was told the car would be coming from DMKeith Leeds, but on looking at the website I couldn’t see a Cupra dealer in Leeds, only York. So the above explains it perfectly. Did your car come with mats etc? I’m still unsure of whether to get the car delivered or collect if from the dealer🤷🏻‍♂️ Only considering the latter in case the car is delivered without mats etc and some of the infotainment isn’t functioning properly on collection. But hoping the car works as it should.

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Thanks for that. My lease is through Leasing Options, car was allegedly built week21 and due into dealer first week July. I was confused because I was told the car would be coming from DMKeith Leeds, but on looking at the website I couldn’t see a Cupra dealer in Leeds, only York. So the above explains it perfectly. Did your car come with mats etc? I’m still unsure of whether to get the car delivered or collect if from the dealer🤷🏻‍♂️ Only considering the latter in case the car is delivered without mats etc and some of the infotainment isn’t functioning properly on collection. But hoping the car works as it should.
Mine came with mats in, the Cupra breakdown kit in the boot an also the little welcome gift from Cupra with the carbon fibre back plate for the key. DM Keith had checked everything out and gave me a run through when it was delivered so they seem pretty clued on up on whats going on with it. Fingers crossed i would say the delivery or collection is down to personal preference

Cupradev

May 10, 2021
Mine came with mats in, the Cupra breakdown kit in the boot an also the little welcome gift from Cupra with the carbon fibre back plate for the key. DM Keith had checked everything out and gave me a run through when it was delivered so they seem pretty clued on up on whats going on with it. Fingers crossed i would say the delivery or collection is down to personal preference
Thanks for that. Sounds like they’re on the ball. I’ve had no dealings with them before, so it’s good to hear your actual experience of having a car delivered by them. Much appreciated. 👍🏼

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
Just one little quirk that I’ve noticed this morning on my usual drive into work.

The Formentor seems much happier to sit and stay in 2nd gear coming out of a junction.

For example i normally drive part of the journey with the gearbox in manual as there is a few twisty bits so i have a bit of fun, but there are a couple of junctions that in the Leon it would always force me back into 1st gear even though it should of been fine to set off in 2nd.

The Formentor doesn’t do that at all, more than happy to stay in 2nd which makes everything a lot smoother!! not sure if the gearing is different and 1st is really short now?

Reactions: jcbmally

Cupradev

May 10, 2021
Just one little quirk that I’ve noticed this morning on my usual drive into work.

The Formentor seems much happier to sit and stay in 2nd gear coming out of a junction.

For example i normally drive part of the journey with the gearbox in manual as there is a few twisty bits so i have a bit of fun, but there are a couple of junctions that in the Leon it would always force me back into 1st gear even though it should of been fine to set off in 2nd.

The Formentor doesn’t do that at all, more than happy to stay in 2nd which makes everything a lot smoother!! not sure if the gearing is different and 1st is really short now?
Nice little insight, thanks. I think the reviews I’ve watched, the Formentor definitely has a more civilised side, to go with the full on Cupra mode, and personally that’s a big selling point for me. The different characteristics.
Got an update yesterday cautiously advising my car will be at the dealers on the 25th. So starting to allow myself some giddiness. 😬😬

Michael1a1

Oct 22, 2015
So thought i would just follow this up now that i've had a chance to have a go at giving the car a proper launch now that its nicely run in.
Have a dragy box that i used with my previous Leon so comparing the 0-60 in each is nice an easy.

Needless to say VW/SEAT/Cupra have been under quoting their 0-60 times!!!!

First go using the launch control an you can really feel the difference in the launch, will try again over the next few weeks to see if i can improve it at all but for a totally stock car am pretty happy with the 4.56 time!

IMG-1722.PNG
IMG-1723.PNG

Sep 28, 2023
Late replay, I've recently picked my formentor up, gorgeous car but sometimes I do feel that I would rather be in my 290 instead... the formentor is quick but the Leon just feels like a totally different animal.

I think the gearing is definitely different in the formentor compared to the Leon, on the motorway cruising at 70 the formentor never wants to kick it down to 3rd, but my Leon would kick down all the way to 2nd.

From a launch point obviously the formentor is a different beast with its AWD but from a roll it's not even close to the Leon in terms of sheer pace, I guess that's what you get when you're 200-300kg heavier though.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Late replay, I've recently picked my formentor up, gorgeous car but sometimes I do feel that I would rather be in my 290 instead... the formentor is quick but the Leon just feels like a totally different animal.

I think the gearing is definitely different in the formentor compared to the Leon, on the motorway cruising at 70 the formentor never wants to kick it down to 3rd, but my Leon would kick down all the way to 2nd.

From a launch point obviously the formentor is a different beast with its AWD but from a roll it's not even close to the Leon in terms of sheer pace, I guess that's what you get when you're 200-300kg heavier though.
That's why I bought the CUPRA Leon, far quicker than my 280 was and no tramping from the tyres either.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.