Leon Cupra vs. Golf R vs. Audi S3 - sound

Detch

Jul 3, 2017
Hi,
I've driven these three cars (and I own MY2016 Cupra 280) and it seems that Golf and S3 sound better.
2.0 TSI engine note isn't pleasant overall, but in case of these three cars, Cupra sounds "the worst". It's not about the volume, it's about the engine note.

Why is that?
Is it because the exhaust? Maybe the downpipe?
Or are the engines different?

I even watched youtube videos for custom exhausts, and even then - the results for VW and Audi are better than Cupra.

What do you think?

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
I haven’t heard any of the other cars and this is the first car I’ve had like this and I love the sound/growl of my Cupra. I’m interested in what would make it even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jib

May 22, 2007
Doncaster, South Yorks
Are you talking about interior or exterior sound? If interior then it will be the soundactor (or whatever it’s called).

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
Yeah prob interior. Maybe I have lower standards than others. However I’ve had someone else tell me it sounds mean when I overtook them

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
First thing I’ll be doing when my Cupra arrives is turning down the soundactor. Run my Golf R at 45% and it’s ok.

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hi,
I've driven these three cars (and I own MY2016 Cupra 280) and it seems that Golf and S3 sound better.
2.0 TSI engine note isn't pleasant overall, but in case of these three cars, Cupra sounds "the worst". It's not about the volume, it's about the engine note.

Why is that?
Is it because the exhaust? Maybe the downpipe?
Or are the engines different?

I even watched youtube videos for custom exhausts, and even then - the results for VW and Audi are better than Cupra.

What do you think?

Yeah both the VW and Audi have a more bassy/warbley engine tone. Noticed this immediately especially at lower revs.
From my experience especially with the Audi it sounds just as loud from the outside too.

I only have a 280 at the moment, but the sound I hear doesn't really reflect what's going on outside the cabin.

People used hear me coming in the S3. I don't get that with the CUPRA.

The 300 does sound better, but still not as good as the others IMHO.

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
The sound actuator can be turned off via VCDS/OBDEleven, most people hate the sound it makes. The cupra 280's exhaust is very restricted from factory and I found my car to be quieter compared to my friend's R. Removing one; or both, silencers will help with the sound of the car considerably, or do it properly and replace the whole system.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
The sound actuator can be turned off via VCDS/OBDEleven, most people hate the sound it makes. The cupra 280's exhaust is very restricted from factory and I found my car to be quieter compared to my friend's R. Removing one; or both, silencers will help with the sound of the car considerably, or do it properly and replace the whole system.

I'm guessing that gives you the similar sound to comfort mode whilst in CUPRA?
My lease goes back in a few months so not worth making any changes.

The 300 will be a lease too, so I'm very reluctant to make exhaust mods, although I've been told that some are easy to reverse.

rryans11

MK3 Leon Cupra 290
Feb 4, 2012
UK
I'm guessing that gives you the similar sound to comfort mode whilst in CUPRA?
My lease goes back in a few months so not worth making any changes.

The 300 will be a lease too, so I'm very reluctant to make exhaust mods, although I've been told that some are easy to reverse.

Pretty much. You'll be glad to know that Seat modified the exhaust system on the 290 and it's a good improvement over the 280, so you'll have that to enjoy when you get the 300.

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
Is it worth buying ODB or carista just to do that? Is the sound much better without?

Deleted member 103408

Is it worth buying ODB or carista just to do that? Is the sound much better without?

Or you can always ask somebody on the forum who lives near you to code it for you only takes two seconds.

hepstar7

Oct 6, 2017
I’m just curious as to why everyone turns it off or down. Is it because the natural sound of the engine is better?

Deleted member 103408

On my car yes the engine, Air Intake System and the Cupra Fart are much better than this.

With regards to disconnect it you can code it down/off using OBD11, VCDS or Carista or you can actually physically remove it, there are a few threads from back in the day but its much easier to code it off.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.