Leon FR BTCC

micp

Dec 22, 2016
Middlesbrough
www.micp.co.uk
First post so be gentle!

I'm looking at picking up a Leon FR 170 (i think?) with the BTCC kit in the new year.

I'm just wondering what things I should be looking out for before I go an invest my time looking at them? I've seen a few nice examples online but generally the milage on a lot of these is around 90k+. I have no issues with a high milage car as long as it's been looked after, my current motor is a Lupo GTI and it's sitting on 104k and never misses a heartbeat.

Ideally I'd be looking at something about 60-70k with a belt and waterpump change for ease of mind but besides the usual bits I'd look out for when looking at cars is there anything specific I need to double check?

Any other info on model type, tax bands and whatever would be appreciated too!

itsmeagain

Aug 4, 2012
Birmingham
Welcome to the forum, i have always liked Lupo Gti's.
I would look for one with a good service history, good overall condition. Something that u can tell has been well looked after by the previous owner. Cambelt is alway a bonus so that will save you a few quid, if it ain't try and negotiate that against the price. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GordieC

Sep 24, 2012
Glasgow/Islay
Check the front wings and wheel arches for corrosion. Do the same on the bootlid and around the rear window (if it's pre face-lift) , especially at the bottom below the wiper.

JMF894

Jul 11, 2014
Norfolk
Depending on the year check with SEAT UK that it has had the injectors changed (wasn't termed as a recall but was as good as)

Make sure there is no hesitation under hard acceleration and no excessive black smoke from the exhaust

Check that all doors lock/unlock remotely

Check the door mirrors fold/unfold properly

Make sure cam-belt and water-pump have been done within 60K of current mileage

Make sure there is no black soot/oily residue around the plastic inlet manifold

Make sure the under bonnet felt lining is not wet

Check the rear tyres are not worn unevenly and do not rumble (4 wheel alignment)

Check drop-links don't clunk

Check exhaust brackets aren't broken

Check there is no spider-web cracking in the paint on the plastic front or rear valances

All the above are from my own experience/things I've heard of with my own 2008 BTCC PD170 FR. I bought mine on 101K with one previous owner. Currently sat on 140K with no huge problems. Just replaced the electric fuel pump in the tank (I did put petrol in accidentally a few months ago-they don't like this!), and the switch for the swirl flaps. Manifold was removed and reported to be good inside. The key is to use these cars not have them sat around.

If you're looking at the petrol FR then of course the diesel related issues above do not apply.

:D

Jimbo

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members