Leon FR Sport 2.0 TSi 190- judder in low gears when cold

Nov 24, 2022
Hello all,

I have recently bought a used and approved Leon FR Sport 190 DSG and have noticed that when the car is cold the gear box or engine seems judder/jerk in low gears. It's pretty pronounced when I first pull off my drive in the morning.

Has anyone experienced a similar thing? I have seen there is a known issue of kangarooing in the 1.5 TSi but haven't managed to find anything that suggests the 2.0 TSi is also impacted.

I have only had the car 2 weeks and it's a used and approved car with a 2 year Seat warranty so have booked it in to be looked at next week.

Cheers
Mark

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Mine has a very slight shudder when slowing to a stand still, but not enough for me to be worried.
More noticeable when cold.
My 1.8 tsi dsg had to have it's clutch packs replaced under warranty when showing similar symptoms, but that had the DQ200 dry clutch box so not necessarily comparable.
Possibly just needs a re-set or something, someone will be able to describe the procedure better than me. Hopefully you are still under warranty as you've just bought it.

Nov 24, 2022
Mine has a very slight shudder when slowing to a stand still, but not enough for me to be worried.
More noticeable when cold.
My 1.8 tsi dsg had to have it's clutch packs replaced under warranty when showing similar symptoms, but that had the DQ200 dry clutch box so not necessarily comparable.
Possibly just needs a re-set or something, someone will be able to describe the procedure better than me. Hopefully you are still under warranty as you've just bought it.
Thanks for the response. Yes i have a 2 year warranty on the car and I only bought it 2 weeks ago so still pretty new to me. I also own a FR ST 184 with a DSG gear box, had the car for 5 years and never noticed it doing this judder thing like my 190. You are probably right about it just needing a re-set. Just hope it's nothing major.

gletts

GL53TTS
Jan 7, 2008
Crawley, West Sussex
I have a 19 plate FR Sport 190 DSG, with 23k miles, and that has no judder at all even when cold. Always been really smooth, from new. I do have a really bad rattle from the rear wheel area though!

Nov 24, 2022
Cheers for the response, yeah mines a 2019 with 20k on it. I'm being told by the site that sold it to me that it's a "characteristic of the engine". I'm taking it in to another main dealer site next week so I'll see what they say but I'm sure there is something not right with it. Guess it will be hard for anyone to diagnose anything without a light appearing.

Nov 24, 2022
Thanks for the response and that's good to hear, not that people have got jerky cars but that it's not just mine hahah. Yes, Il get it checked and see what the main dealer says. That aside, I'm absolutely made up with the car. Feels a real step up on interior build quality to my 2017 184 FR ST.

Tester01

Oct 24, 2022
I had this issue on my 1.5.
Software update but also had the gearbox adaption reset.

I think the gearbox adaption resolved it, as when I first had the update there wasn't any difference but when that was done it seemed to be fixed

Reactions: MarkS2022
Nov 24, 2022
I had this issue on my 1.5.
Software update but also had the gearbox adaption reset.

I think the gearbox adaption resolved it, as when I first had the update there wasn't any difference but when that was done it seemed to be fixed

Nov 24, 2022
Thanks for the info, is the gearbox adaption a gearbox reset?

I will mention both the adaption and software update when I take it in to the main dealer. Not sure if it's a petrol thing (as I am used to driving a diesel DSG) but it's seems very jerky compared to the F55 Mini cooper S I have come from.

Feb 1, 2019
Hello all,

I have recently bought a used and approved Leon FR Sport 190 DSG and have noticed that when the car is cold the gear box or engine seems judder/jerk in low gears. It's pretty pronounced when I first pull off my drive in the morning.

Has anyone experienced a similar thing? I have seen there is a known issue of kangarooing in the 1.5 TSi but haven't managed to find anything that suggests the 2.0 TSi is also impacted.

I have only had the car 2 weeks and it's a used and approved car with a 2 year Seat warranty so have booked it in to be looked at next week.

Cheers
Mark
Mine does it on first start up, especially if I drive off before letting the revs drop. Only lasts about a minute, I'd describe it as lumpy as opposed to jerky.

Feb 1, 2019
When you start from cold, the engine will run at about 1200 rpm for around 30 seconds then drops to about 500 or so. If I drive off straight away its lumpy for a minute or so.

Tester01

Oct 24, 2022
Thanks for the info, is the gearbox adaption a gearbox reset?

I will mention both the adaption and software update when I take it in to the main dealer. Not sure if it's a petrol thing (as I am used to driving a diesel DSG) but it's seems very jerky compared to the F55 Mini cooper S I have come from.
Yeah I believe so.

looking at the work sheet from the seat dealer for my issue, they said they did an adaption drive to reset the learns.

Seems the previous drivers driving style messed up the adaptions. And even after like 2 months of driving never adapted to my driving. As I believe it should learn over time if style changes.

Could also try an “ECU Reset” by disconnecting the battery for half an hour. Which should reset other learned values like fuel trim etc. Which could be impacting engine performance

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Slightly off topic but on the subject of DSG adaption, I’m intrigued (or maybe somewhat sceptical) by the adaption process. Although the DSG is a clever piece of kit, is it really clever enough to adapt to a specific person’s driving style?

I’ve owned my VW with DSG for just over two years from new, which IMHO is plenty of time for it to ‘learn’ my driving style from those occasions when I use the steering wheel paddles or use manual mode. Maybe it’s a slow learner, but when I leave it to do its own thing in normal mode it changes up gears far earlier than I would do and in certain situations it also changes up when I don’t or wouldn’t (e.g. when driving around a roundabout, when I would wait until I exited the roundabout). It also always changes down unnecessarily in two specific locations that I drive regularly; on an uphill stretch of road where it’s not necessary to change down a gear in a manual car.

Also, if more than one person with different driving styles drive a car with DSG, does the DSG behave differently depending on who is driving? Maybe I‘m being cynical but I’d say the DSG‘s behaviour is more likely to be governed by the parameters programmed into its software rather than adapting to a specific driver‘s driving style; IMHO it’s the driver is more likely to adapt their driving style over time to suit the DSG rather than the other way round.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like DSG - this is my first non-manual car in over 40 years of driving and I probably not go back to a manual car again. For a piece of computer controlled equipment it‘s pretty clever and gets it right most of the time. However, I’m genuinely interested in other forum member’s views on the subject of DSG being clever enough to learn and adapt to the driving style of a car’s driver or drivers.

Nov 24, 2022
Slightly off topic but on the subject of DSG adaption, I’m intrigued (or maybe somewhat sceptical) by the adaption process. Although the DSG is a clever piece of kit, is it really clever enough to adapt to a specific person’s driving style?

I’ve owned my VW with DSG for just over two years from new, which IMHO is plenty of time for it to ‘learn’ my driving style from those occasions when I use the steering wheel paddles or use manual mode. Maybe it’s a slow learner, but when I leave it to do its own thing in normal mode it changes up gears far earlier than I would do and in certain situations it also changes up when I don’t or wouldn’t (e.g. when driving around a roundabout, when I would wait until I exited the roundabout). It also always changes down unnecessarily in two specific locations that I drive regularly; on an uphill stretch of road where it’s not necessary to change down a gear in a manual car.

Also, if more than one person with different driving styles drive a car with DSG, does the DSG behave differently depending on who is driving? Maybe I‘m being cynical but I’d say the DSG‘s behaviour is more likely to be governed by the parameters programmed into its software rather than adapting to a specific driver‘s driving style; IMHO it’s the driver is more likely to adapt their driving style over time to suit the DSG rather than the other way round.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like DSG - this is my first non-manual car in over 40 years of driving and I probably not go back to a manual car again. For a piece of computer controlled equipment it‘s pretty clever and gets it right most of the time. However, I’m genuinely interested in other forum member’s views on the subject of DSG being clever enough to learn and adapt to the driving style of a car’s driver or drivers.

Nov 24, 2022
I used to own a mini cooper S before my Leon and I asked mini to do a gear box reset when I first got the car as it was a bit hesitant at times. They said they can do it but it could then lead to damage to a "partially worn" gear box (car was bought as a used and approved) as it's like factory resetting the gear box memory and I may not be covered under warranty.

Wonder what Seat will say if I ask them to do the DSG adaptation.

Car seems a little better now, I wonder if the jerkiness was a result of it being sat on a forecourt for a month or so and not driven.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.