Leon MK 3 Tips and Tricks

lazybill

Jul 10, 2016
Is there a thread already where Leon owners are detailing all the little things they have learnt about their car which might not be obvious to new owners? If so can someone point me to it?

If not, can we start one?

i.e any tips on how to get the most out of DSG, the media system, driving modes, economy, lights etc etc.

Cheers

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
One thing I've noticed how so many people struggle to find where to input a postcode on the nav.

If you go to enter the Town name, at the bottom left of the keyboard is PTCD (I think) press this and you can enter the postcode.

Another thing is that you can change the keyboard from ABC to QWERTY. That's in the keyboard settings somewhere.

DragonQ

Jul 26, 2016
Anyone know how the comfort opening and closing is supposed to work? I have one of the two in my car's options, can't remember which. Doesn't seem to do anything automatically when opening or locking the car though.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Comfort locking allows you to close or open the windows with the key.

Press and hold the unlock button and all the windows will go down, press and hold lock and it'll close them all for you. Disabling comfort locking switches off the function.

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
When listening to an MP3 - you can tap the screen on the "progress bar" to jump to that point in a song.

Press the radio button multiple times to switch between DAB, FM, AM.

Press the media button multiple times to switch between Bluetooth, SD.

Press the NAV button multiple times to turn on/off the compass.

Underlay in the rear tyre well reduces road noise a little.

Tyre pressure slightly below recommended is good for noise and comfort on 18s.

The secret cubbyhole below and to the right of the steering wheel.

The arm rest supposedly locks into a position - lift up and push down lightly.

Just learned - put the handbrake on while pushing the brake peddle, for extra bite! Else your car can end up rolling down the road...

Took me 5 months to notice the setup button on the climate control, that brings up an air-con display on the main screen.

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Comfort locking allows you to close or open the windows with the key.

Press and hold the unlock button and all the windows will go down, press and hold lock and it'll close them all for you. Disabling comfort locking switches off the function.

Don't forget that if you lock the doors, and then press and hold the button (so 2 presses) again to fold the mirrors/close the windows you are also turning off the cars ultrasonic/microwave sensors....

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Here's a security tip:

Always check the doors are locked by pulling the handle, after locking them with the key.

Mine didn't lock properly once, and I was clicking the key fob repeatedly in bewilderment. Then I hear screeching tyres as a white van drives off. A lad in the car park came over and said his Golf was the same, apparently there's some clever hackers out there who can intercept the locking signal, who then steal whatever's in your car, or your car.

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Don't forget that if you lock the doors, and then press and hold the button (so 2 presses) again to fold the mirrors/close the windows you are also turning off the cars ultrasonic/microwave sensors....

Yep! That's caught a few people out I'd imagine. Important to do it in one if you want to keep the alarm fully functional.

It's kinda weird they did it that way too, almost every other car I've had before needed two presses to enable deadlocking, SEAT do it the other way around, where two presses is actually less secure. Where's the logic? :blink:

Eggy

Jun 3, 2016
Estonia
To remove back seat bottom part all the isofix plastic parts must be pulled out, the inner and outer parts (at least on ST version).

In the car menu there is a sub menu SPORT, under there you got 3 indicators. Pushing them up/down can select few different gauges.

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
To remove back seat bottom part all the isofix plastic parts must be pulled out, the inner and outer parts (at least on ST version).

In the car menu there is a sub menu SPORT, under there you got 3 indicators. Pushing them up/down can select few different gauges.

Which model and year is your Leon, Eggy? I can't remember seeing a SPORT sub menu in the Car menu on my October 2013 5-Door FR 1.8TSi DSG with Technology Pack. :confused:

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
One thing I've noticed how so many people struggle to find where to input a postcode on the nav.

If you go to enter the Town name, at the bottom left of the keyboard is PTCD (I think) press this and you can enter the postcode.

Another thing is that you can change the keyboard from ABC to QWERTY. That's in the keyboard settings somewhere.

I think the problem is that the PTCD postcode input option tab (at least on my October 2013 FR with Technology Pack) is only displayed for a few seconds before it disappears from the screen and reverts to something else, so you have to press it immediately it appears & while it says PTCD. It is almost as if the system is deliberately designed to discourage you from entering a postcode! I've also found that you have to enter the postcode without any spaces for it to be accepted by the satnav.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I think the problem is that the PTCD postcode input option tab (at least on my October 2013 FR with Technology Pack) is only displayed for a few seconds before it disappears from the screen and reverts to something else, so you have to press it immediately it appears & while it says PTCD. It is almost as if the system is deliberately designed to discourage you from entering a postcode! I've also found that you have to enter the postcode without any spaces for it to be accepted by the satnav.

That's weird. Mine doesn't disappear and I can add spaces too. Mines January 2014. But it was the same in my July 2013 SE too

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Cooled cup holders! I Found this little gem the other day which I'm sure isn't intentional. Basically I had the air con on for a long drive and the cool air running through the centre console keeps the lower half of the cup holders nice and cool :)

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
Cooled cup holders! I Found this little gem the other day which I'm sure isn't intentional. Basically I had the air con on for a long drive and the cool air running through the centre console keeps the lower half of the cup holders nice and cool :)
Wow - need to check this. Never noticed it.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.