Leon mk1 dash illumination

IANM61

HI IM NEW ON HERE HAVING JUST BOUGHT A 2002 LEON CUPRA .
IVE BEEN BUSY GIVING HER A GOOD POLISHING TODAY WHEN I NOTICED THE DASH SEEMED TO BE PERMANENTLY ILLUMINATED I CHECKED ALL THE DOORS WERE CLOSED AND THEY WERE .
IF I SWITCH THE IGNITION ON THE DASH ILLUMINATES AS IT SHOULD BUT WHEN I SWITCH IT OFF THE IONTERIOR LIGHT COMES ON THE DASH GOES OUT AND THEN AFTER A FEW SECONDS THE DASH ILLUMINATES AND STAYS LIKE THAT PERMANENTLY ANY SUGGESTION GUYS AS IM PUZZLED:confused:

IANM61

Right the dash illumination is still glowing when i take the key out it stays lit permanently.
ive also noticed that the traction control light is also on and the handbrake warning lamp is lit but very dimly and flickering slightly.
i have cleaned all the earths under the bonnet ive had all of the fuses out of the fuse box however i did find a fewq that were corroded also the fuse box terminals where the fuses go were also corroded ive cleaned them as best as i can and fitted new fuses but these lights are still glowing.
the dimmer switch has no effect on the dash illumination when this happens but works correctly when the ignition is on....ANY IDEA'S PLEASE

IANM61

Hi is this fault something you have come across before ?.
i have had all the fuses out and found about five that had some sort of corrosion on them also looking at the fuse box where i took them from i could see corrosion in that aswell.
i have cleaned all the earths under the bonnet and plenum chamber however the symptoms do seem like a poor earth that is causing this problem. if i take the fuse out to make the illumination go out i also lose the clock and the trip mileometer resets.
the only other connectors i havent yet checked are just under the drivers wiper arm under the plastic cover at the bottom of the screen ..there is a large black plastic box which i know houses several connector blocks..
do you think i have a fault with the dash though as ive had a similar nightmare with an audi a3 and i dont really need a repeat of that again

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Not personally, no.
Under the dash panel are more fuses and relays, if you have had water ingress that area can be problematic.
How to remove the panel http://www.icecavern.com/howtos/leonlowerdashtrim/main.php

Also you can remove the dash very easy remove the plastic at the bottom, the corrugated looking stuff, then two screws then the binnacle can be manoeuvred about.You can then get your hand around the back and see if wiggling the connectors makes any difference.

IANM61

I've got this issue too.

HI ive sorted mine today found a dry joint on the circuit board just behind the blue connector on the dash cluster.
you have to remove the dash take the front off and the needles off the gauges (photograph their positions first) then remove the backing to the clocks turn the assembly over and remove the black back casing you will more than likely find a couple of dodgy solder joints along the board where the blue connector block is soldered to the board.
if you dont fancy doing it ive you can get to shrewsbury ill do it for you

benturner

Nov 2, 2012
Hmm, my problem is similar.

My trip display and clock reset every time I switch off the ignition. The right hand side of the dash stays illuminated slightly even with keys out of the ignition.

I know there's been damp and water issues in the past.

Do you think it'll be dry solder joints? Is it more likely to be corroded connectors or fuses?

What do you think please?

IANM61

Sorry mate i dont have any diagrams or pictures one thing to check are fuses if your clock is going off where do you live coz if its not too far away i,ll do.your for ya

beardo

Dec 12, 2010
Hmm, my problem is similar.

My trip display and clock reset every time I switch off the ignition. The right hand side of the dash stays illuminated slightly even with keys out of the ignition.

I know there's been damp and water issues in the past.

Do you think it'll be dry solder joints? Is it more likely to be corroded connectors or fuses?

What do you think please?

Sorry to bump this olde worlde thread. However, benturner, check if fuse 15 has been removed. It could be that your vehicle had the disco dash and someone has disabled the annoying flashing and beeping for you. The side effect being that the clock and trip counter reset everytime you turn ignition on/off. Not sure if this will cure the backgroundilluminations though.

* This is based upon reading lots of threads on various forums

IANM61

The dash staying illuminated is a dodgy solder joint on the dash circuit board usually behind the green multi plug connector i should know ive done a couple now and solved the problem.as for the trip and clock resetting that is a fuse or fusebox problem

mattie123

I just fixed this fault on my TDi 2002 and it was a couple of bad solder joints on the BLUE connector - I managed to resolder them WITHOUT taking the needles off BUT i also managed somehow to lose the LCD displays both of them.
I got them back after basically removing them along with their rubber conductive strips and heating them a little infront of a fan heater - it got them back in shape as they has expanded over time. Also make sure the metal cage thing is FIRMLY pressing the LCD's down onto the rubber strips. Got both the LCD's back working again 100%.

kevleon

Has any one managed to find a surlution to the flashing dash problem with the key being out of the ?

kevleon

Has any one found a surlution to the flashing dash lights problem?
I started getting this problem when I found water was getting in to the front footwells, I have sorted the water leak and dryed the car out but I still have the flashing dash light issue even though the key is out of the ignition,
could someone please tell me what it is a need to get fixed

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
HI ive sorted mine today found a dry joint on the circuit board just behind the blue connector on the dash cluster.
you have to remove the dash take the front off and the needles off the gauges (photograph their positions first) then remove the backing to the clocks turn the assembly over and remove the black back casing you will more than likely find a couple of dodgy solder joints along the board where the blue connector block is soldered to the board.
if you don't fancy doing it I've you can get to shrewsbury ill do it for you

Hi
I know this is an old thread but my :censored: battery keeps draining due to the flicker.
Is the re-soldering easy enough to get to?
I have already ordered a new battery due to mine being old and recharged many times, I just don't want a new one to go flat.

Thanks

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Eugh. Now my dash cluster lights are perm illuminated when no key is in the car ? gonna extract it and look in the week

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.