W44DUP

Leon MK3/5F Front Bumper Removal Guide

Metalmagus

May 31, 2017
Does anyone have pictures of the clip arrangement at the side of the bumper next to the wing. My bumper keeps working its way out proud of the wing.

It was mentioned in the first couple of posts that there is a screw going up into the wing from inside the wheel arch behind a plastic clip. How does this clip get removed.

Don't want to go in at it like a bull in a China shop in case I snap something.

Cheers

Sean

tjdixon

Jan 24, 2002
Suffolk
Visit site
Just resurrecting an old thread.

I had an unfortunate incident with a deer this evening, has smashed my lower centre grille, dislodged fog light and slightly cracked the bumper so I may need to use this guide.

My parking sensors, temp sensor and tyre pressure monitoring have all stopped working, any ideas why this has happened? Disconnected on impact or just need resetting somehow (won't do it through the settings) the impact was passenger side and whilst a small deer was still significant.

It doesn't look as though the damage is significant enough to go through insurance, I'm tempted to buy the parts myself to fit, where is the best supplier, I'm struggling to find one.

Thanks

Tom

ETA car is a 2013 Leon SC FR

Last edited:

GruffPBG

Mar 6, 2018
Thanks so much for this. Can I ask, with regards to the 2nd picture, do the black plastic screws unscrew like any other or do you have to pry/lever them up and out with the screw driver? trying to get to behind my grill to place a badge on and it looks like this is the best way?

viilveer

May 23, 2016
Hello. I have a problem with reinstalling the bumper. All holes lined up except passanger side(left hand drive). Bumper next to wheel arch keeps popping up. It seems like it has too much tension to up. If i press bumper down a bit holes are linig up but it keeps poppi g open again. Ideas?

Figured it out. There is a bumper connection piece (has screw hole also) with fender (i guess) and this was holding it back because it was connected wrong way. After connecting them correctly the bumper went to its proper location itself.

Attachments

• 20181010_115217-1.jpg
    20181010_115217-1.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
I had a look at mine but following a youtube video on an FR. Anyone know if the "awkward" T20 shown as a shape on the photo is underneath the aero flare (don't know what else to call it) on a Cupra?

The video glossed over that bit and all I could see internally was a hole in the bodywork that looked like it would allow a fixing (not present on my car from new) - but it was several centimetres inboard unlike where the inverted "T" on the diagram appears to be.

Any Cupra specific advice appreciated.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I had a look at mine but following a youtube video on an FR. Anyone know if the "awkward" T20 shown as a shape on the photo is underneath the aero flare (don't know what else to call it) on a Cupra?

The video glossed over that bit and all I could see internally was a hole in the bodywork that looked like it would allow a fixing (not present on my car from new) - but it was several centimetres inboard unlike where the inverted "T" on the diagram appears to be.

Are you talking about the bolt that holds the bumper and the weird plastic lip to the metal arch is? From memory every diagram I've seen doesn't really show where it is.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Pleas excuse the crude drawing...
65513883_2334906420058407_4892568616068710400_n.png

At 4:02 exactly you can see him pull out the edge of the bumper after he has already undone the one I'm talking about.You can see the hole it would sit through:

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
Pleas excuse the crude drawing...
65513883_2334906420058407_4892568616068710400_n.png

At 4:02 exactly you can see him pull out the edge of the bumper after he has already undone the one I'm talking about.You can see the hole it would sit through:

Thanks Damo. That helps massively, but it looks like there are two bolts which he counts round about 2 mins in - and no aero flares! I'll have to investigate more, but I did manage to get a few more feathers out last time. Fortunately I left the top black trim and clips off to save time (and wear) later.

It's nice to see a copper badge as that's what I'm fitting. The silver "S" is just too shiny for me and I think I can get away with it since you can't see the tailgate "S" at the same time. I was worried about the contrast with the "flag" badge, but I can always reattach that once everything else is back on as I may go covert.

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
I'm struggling to remove the plastic rivet (clip?) that joins the top of the black plastic grille to the coloured bumper (one each side). I can't even get under it to prise it up. Anyone know how to remove it as I need to replace my grille? Thanks.

I've attached a picture from above the left headlight, but it's sideways.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_170543_compress84.jpg
    IMG_20200407_170543_compress84.jpg
    909.2 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I'm struggling to remove the plastic rivet (clip?) that joins the top of the black plastic grille to the coloured bumper (one each side). I can't even get under it to prise it up. Anyone know how to remove it as I need to replace my grille? Thanks.

I've attached a picture from above the left headlight, but it's sideways.

That's well and truly busted. You could try tapping the centre down and out the bottom. I'd say it will knacker the clip but it's knackered already.

Carbonara

Aug 19, 2018
In the end I had to get the bumper off and get the broken top grille out. It would have been very very difficult without the bumper removal but you don't know until you try it. I've reused the grille frame (also fiddly with all the opposing clips) and I've put the new grille on with a copper "S" badge (mainly because it's not so bright and shiny). All reassembled now except for the Cupra badge which I may leave off as it may clash with the "S" badge.

I hope the next Kamikaze pheasant opts for the lower grille which looks easier to replace.

On the plus side, I've learned enough to not be phased if and when I need to replace the splitter - my son's desperate to drive it so I'll have to expect some wounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lozzy15
Aug 14, 2020
Hi, where is the best place to get replacement plastic clips from the 4 from the first step.
Cheers

Taavi

Jun 24, 2018
Hi. Does anyone knows if the plastic thingy under the front bumper is replaceable? Don't know the name of the thing nor the part number, but I highlighted it on the pictures.

Attachments

• 9044d350fa09fbd3a90ac93d7fcff4ee.jpg
    9044d350fa09fbd3a90ac93d7fcff4ee.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 314
  • a74ed692d7ca8c3c7098aff98711af26.jpg
    a74ed692d7ca8c3c7098aff98711af26.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 230

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I can't imagine it not being replaceable. However it will no doubt just be described as 'trim' in the parts details. you'll need a parts breakdown of the front bumper to identify the correct part. @paddy6789 us usually quite good for that.

Dec 1, 2019
Hi I know the post is a bit old but this may be useful for anyone looking to remove/replace the top front grille on Mk3 Leon. I am currently doing mine along with replacing the head lights, as I have moved to Belgium and it is way cheaper to replace the headlights than buy a new car. The grille was also busted so thought I would do that at the same time. Also need to do the bottom grille once I can get hold of the part for my FR.

Okay to remove the top grille is not as difficult as stated previously, however, I would advise getting a second pair of hands! Once the bumper is off there are 3 T25 screws either side (6 in total). Undo the clips at either side of the top attached to the bumper (the part of the bumper that goes up either side of the grille). Try to separate each side of the grille at the bottom. Now for the tricky bit! Along the bottom there are 3 clips (they look like are for the chrome but they are not). I used a small flat screwdriver the lift them and got someone else to help separate the grille form the bumper. Once they are released the grille comes away quite easily.