Leon SC door trim rattles

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
I know this has been covered many times but thought I'd ask...

So my 66 plate SC's door trims rattle like 30 year old Fiesta. I've booked it in 6 weeks ago, a technician agreed they need doing after a drive, took it back in yesterday to then be told (after they had it for a day) that they don't have the parts and I'd need to bring it back again in two weeks....

My question is, has anyone been in for this fix recently and and does the solution offered ("thicker plastic membranes in the doors") actually work?

The dealer mentioned a service bulletin for the problem, it's a 66 plate car so I would have thought the rattles would have been sorted long ago but I guess not.

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
To be honest, every 3 door I've ever owned the doors rattled. I think it's one of those things.

However, my Ibiza SC got something stuffed in the door which fixed the problem for me for about 6 months and then I got another rattle. I just gave up after that.

Last edited:

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Gave up trying to get my SC door rattles fixed, everything they did hasn't made a difference.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
To be honest, every 3 door I've ever owned the doors rattled. I think it's one of those things.

However, my Ibiza SC got something stuffed in the door which fixed the problem for me for about 6 months and then I got another rattle. I just gave up after that.

Oh oh, and I was thinking my 66 plate Ibiza SC was going to stay rattle free...next month it turns 6 months...rattles to look forward to!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Gave up trying to get my SC door rattles fixed, everything they did hasn't made a difference.

If the car is yours (eg not leased or not PCP) and you intend to keep it for a bit, get it professionally sound proofed...music sounds better, road noise reduced, and no rattles!

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
The rattles are caused by the outer and inner metal skins on the doors vibrating. When they vibrate, that energy is absorbed by the plastic door cards and they rattle to release the energy. The vibration that causes the rattles can be nullified by using Silent Coat 2mm damping mat - stick it onto the bare metal behind the door card with 50 per cent coverage minimum.

To 'soundproof' the doors i.e. to ensure that any rattles that aren't caused by vibration are eliminated, you need to apply acoustic foam to the back of the plastic door card so it squeezes against the metal. For this, I recommend Silent Coat Absorber 35mm. It's self-adhesive, the same as the Silent Coat 2mm damping mat and it's excellent stuff.

I did this to both front doors on my Cupra a year ago and I haven't had a single rattle since. In addition to that, there's no booming or distortion from the speakers anymore.

Here's a forum thread to help you:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=417184

Last edited:
Reactions: Aardvark

russwuss

Mar 5, 2017
The rattles are caused by the outer and inner metal skins on the doors vibrating. When they vibrate, that energy is absorbed by the plastic door cards and they rattle to release the energy. The vibration that causes the rattles can be nullified by using Silent Coat 2mm damping mat - stick it onto the bare metal behind the door card with 50 per cent coverage minimum.

To 'soundproof' the doors i.e. to ensure that any rattles that aren't caused by vibration are eliminated, you need to apply acoustic foam to the back of the plastic door card so it squeezes against the metal. For this, I recommend Silent Coat Absorber 35mm. It's self-adhesive, the same as the Silent Coat 2mm damping mat and it's excellent stuff.

I did this to both front doors on my Cupra a year ago and I haven't had a single rattle since. In addition to that, there's no booming or distortion from the speakers anymore.

Here's a forum thread to help you:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=417184

Ordered some silent coat; gonna give this a go on my SC - thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I also have a rattle in my passenger door on my 66 plate SC. Given a persuasive poke, it stops for a while

Last edited:

russwuss

Mar 5, 2017
Keep us updated.

GL.

46ea392b14956cbe7c3d9e122b773fff.jpg

Done it today; took about 2 hours in total. 15 minutes to remove the door card then the rest just cutting pieces of coating up and sticking it on the door.

Just had volume up to max in the car and couldn't hear any rattles! Time will tell though when I'm driving..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Days

Cupra 280/ FR 184 Nice.
Apr 13, 2016
Somerset
My Cupra had a new driver's door card fitted and it was fine for a short while but now again rattles along with the passenger side but give it a push when going along it totally stop's. The wife's FR doe's not rattle at all.

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
I had mine booked in with Lookers to get it fixed, seemed ok but after about 2 days it's back to how it was. It's the upper section of the door panel towards the B pillar, the exact same spot on both sides. Looks like it will be off to the garage again...

Scully088

May 14, 2017
Im getting mine fixed next Friday hopefully by a local Car audio firm called K&M ocoustics (Wigan) will elt you know if they do a good job. Good luck, i feel your pain. I hate the vibration ratttle that comes out of passenger door.

Scully088

May 14, 2017
Im getting mine fixed next Friday hopefully by a local Car audio firm called K&M ocoustics (Wigan) will elt you know if they do a good job. Good luck, i feel your pain. I hate the vibration ratttle that comes out of passenger door.

Got my car back earlier from K&M acoustics. They have certainly improved the sound and stopped the vibrations. Very impressed. Happy customer and now i can play my music above 30% without the doors vibrating like a vibrator :)

gaffnaldo

Sep 8, 2015
To all those with interior rattles;

My Cupra 280 lease was terminated after 15 months due to dealer and manufacturer not being able to find a solution to the rattles. Doors, rear, dash all rattling. Embarassing.

Its a VAG group inherent thing..my brand new audi a4 does the exact same thing

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
To all those with interior rattles;

My Cupra 280 lease was terminated after 15 months due to dealer and manufacturer not being able to find a solution to the rattles. Doors, rear, dash all rattling. Embarassing.

Its a VAG group inherent thing..my brand new audi a4 does the exact same thing

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did it take much effort to get out of the lease? I'm only 8 months in to mine and if it can't be fixed by them I'd be interested in doing the same.

A shame considering it's a great car. They know what's causing it, so you would think a bit of ingenuity from the dealer could cure it, rather than "this is what we're told the fix is" and on your way.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise