Leon SC door trim rattles

gaffnaldo

Sep 8, 2015
Did it take much effort to get out of the lease? I'm only 8 months in to mine and if it can't be fixed by them I'd be interested in doing the same.

A shame considering it's a great car. They know what's causing it, so you would think a bit of ingenuity from the dealer could cure it, rather than "this is what we're told the fix is" and on your way.
Yes Julio, i took all of VWFS advice and remedies until they had none to give, i was fair with them as it was obvious they were trying all they knew to fix. Final straw was when they suggested strip out entire interior (everything) to fix faults. Once i explained the re-assembly process could actually make it worse, they agreed faults were not fixable in the real world and terminated the lease.

Your comment about it being a great car, yes totally agree. Mechanically the car is fantastic, no other word. But build quality in the small detail is poor in places. Had the rattles from day 1 and it did ruin my experience

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
To all those with interior rattles;

Its a VAG group inherent thing..my brand new audi a4 does the exact same thing

I just returned from Portugal and had rented a 2015 (i think) Audi A3 1,6TDI on 16 inch wheels from Europcar. it has 55k on clock, looked abused a bit considering amount of dings and scrapes. Even over the cobbled streets, nothing rattles or vibrates. So quiet on motorway too. I know, as it took me 15 mins to figure out how to turn on the stereo, so it was just and sound of the air rushing past at highway speeds and the cobbled streets. But no rattles....or vibrations..except the time when I forgot to change gear and dipped the clutch when slowing to a stop...and the car vibrated a lot, then engine stalled....

PS...my Ibiza has past 6 months, still rattle/vibration free (besides a little from the 3 cyl engine).
my previous Leon, dealer tighterend screw beyond manufacture torque figures in A pilar vibration, and put expanding foam noodle thing in the front doors, and it stopped vibrating. Rear doors never did rattle nor vibrate.
this vibration/rattle was on smooth surface but accelerating from low Rpms.

Last edited:

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
I've booked mine in again. I actually think it's worse since it's come back. I was on a bit of rough tarmac this morning and the noise was ridiculous. A four week wait to get it booked in as well doesn't help. I've been in touch with Seat CS to move things on hopefully...

gaffnaldo

Sep 8, 2015
I've booked mine in again. I actually think it's worse since it's come back. I was on a bit of rough tarmac this morning and the noise was ridiculous. A four week wait to get it booked in as well doesn't help. I've been in touch with Seat CS to move things on hopefully...
Julio can i ask is the vehicle on finance?

gaffnaldo

Sep 8, 2015
It's on a 2 year lease directly from Seat.
Vw finance I assume? If so, seek out Wendy Harris in the fleet satisfaction team, she dealt with my issues and in the end had to admit defeat

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
Vw finance I assume? If so, seek out Wendy Harris in the fleet satisfaction team, she dealt with my issues and in the end had to admit defeat

I think I might just do that, thanks for the tip.

What did you end up doing once yours went back, did you get another Leon?

gaffnaldo

Sep 8, 2015
I think I might just do that, thanks for the tip.

What did you end up doing once yours went back, did you get another Leon?
Oh god no, after 5 repair attempts and it getting worse I vowed never again. Got a brand new Mazda 6 (yeah different i know) build quality is higher. Also unrelated I got a brand A4. Build quality in this is significantly higher than the SEAT which is obvious. However when the Cupra 280 had a supposed list price of 33k with options, i expected more. The build quality and precision are not the same despite their advertising campaign stating it basically is. Tbh tho if it wasnt for the rattles i would still have that Cupra. Thing is my dads 54 plate mondeo drove with more refinement than it did. Sums it up

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
Oh god no, after 5 repair attempts and it getting worse I vowed never again. Got a brand new Mazda 6 (yeah different i know) build quality is higher. Also unrelated I got a brand A4. Build quality in this is significantly higher than the SEAT which is obvious. However when the Cupra 280 had a supposed list price of 33k with options, i expected more. The build quality and precision are not the same despite their advertising campaign stating it basically is. Tbh tho if it wasnt for the rattles i would still have that Cupra. Thing is my dads 54 plate mondeo drove with more refinement than it did. Sums it up

Nice. I've been looking at the A4's funnily enough, some great deals out there on the 1.4 TFSI S-Line, a great engine in the Leon so I'd be happy getting one in the A4 if I end up rejecting mine.

gaffnaldo

Sep 8, 2015
Nice. I've been looking at the A4's funnily enough, some great deals out there on the 1.4 TFSI S-Line, a great engine in the Leon so I'd be happy getting one in the A4 if I end up rejecting mine.
I think Rejecting the car is far trickier than having the agreement terminated the the FC. Ideally, you get your issues resolved and get on with things however given the nature of your fault and my own experience, this outcome is unlikely as there is no fix in place. I even suggested they replace the car initially like for like, and then with another VAG car which they assured me was not possible. So as there was no available fix and exchange was not possible, a termination was the only option

Julio

Nov 20, 2016
Manchester
I think Rejecting the car is far trickier than having the agreement terminated the the FC. Ideally, you get your issues resolved and get on with things however given the nature of your fault and my own experience, this outcome is unlikely as there is no fix in place. I even suggested they replace the car initially like for like, and then with another VAG car which they assured me was not possible. So as there was no available fix and exchange was not possible, a termination was the only option

And I take it from that, that you lost your initial deposit for the car? (assuming you leased).

gaffnaldo

Sep 8, 2015
And I take it from that, that you lost your initial deposit for the car? (assuming you leased).
Haha my friend no, i got it all back as argued as termination was only option why should i sacrifice my deposit???

Thats on top of the 3 months rental compensation i got after proving the outcome of their initial investigation was wrong as another dealer verified fault was still there.

Why should you pay or lose due to embarrassing build quality?

SeanB

Feb 10, 2017
I tried doing this but didnt manage to get my cards back on correctly :. Ended up making it worse :censored:

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Never had any problem with rattles in my 1.4 SC untill I changed from Bridgestone to Dunlops. The Dunlops are better in every department except for giving a firmer slightly grainier ride, mine is the standard SE version but it is fairly quick. I would never go for a car with lower profile tyres and firmer suspension because it just causes problems either with rattles or comfort, or both, on North Devon roads. I understand that VW Golfs also have issues with door rattles but I havent checked the forums to confirm this.
I will be careful choosing my next car because rattles are one of those things which irritate many drivers, funnily though, women dont seem to hear these annoyances?

Dec 21, 2019
I had this problem with rattles in the door.I listen mostly bassy songs,i have went to the dealership,they have done something and few weeks the rattles started again.I have tries every option in the equalizer to stop the rattles but nothing.The solution for me was changing the bluetoth volume from loud to mid.When i changed that,i increased the bass in the equalizer and the rattles were gone.So,for me,the solution was only changing bluetooth(or aux if you play music via aux) from loud to mid).I hope this will help you too :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members