Leon ST cupra r Wheel size

morto

Aug 8, 2017
I have bought a Leon ST cupra r and have some questions about wheel size.
The summer wheels on it is R19x245x35
I before had a Cupra R 2013 where. i still have the winter tyres that is R19x235x35 i thought this would fit but they are not.
When i tried them they where to small and hit the the brake caliper. I guess the rims have different dimentions or something?
Because as i understand i should be able to use the tyres it self that is R19x245x35 if i just have correct rims?

Regards

Oct 21, 2020
Are you sure, that you fitted them correctly? Because the only difference is the width of the wheel, but maybe where did they hit the caliper? On the inside of the rim or the face of the rim, basically infront?

Sent from my SM-A725F using Tapatalk

morto

Aug 8, 2017
Hmm not 100% sure what you mean.
But the inside of the rim hit the outside of the clipper like here:
I mounted them the same as on old cupra r with a spacer.
1637613209285.png

Oct 21, 2020
Ohhhh okay, now i get it, therefore the offset or ET is different, you need wheels, that are more peeking outside or how to say it (sorry not native speaker) but just to get it right, the brembo logo touched the rim, yes? You need to check the ET number on the originals and compare it with the winter ones, but cheaper and easier fix, wheel spacers for that mate

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
@Nojbik was trying to establish if it was the inner profile of the spokes or the barrel was interfering with the calliper?

@morto Your response would suggest the inner profile of the spokes.

The interference between the alloy and the calliper will be due to measurement circled in green - not the offset (ET) circled in red.

e.g. If you add a 10mm spacer this will effectively give you a rim R19/235/ET25 - which may provide sufficient clearance for the winter wheels. Obviously the optimum fitting will require a rim with a different spoke profile.

Attachments

• A25748D9-2E38-4E61-9CED-D6B420B3BD45.jpeg
    A25748D9-2E38-4E61-9CED-D6B420B3BD45.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

morto

Aug 8, 2017
Thanks for the reply.
@Nojbik Yes rims touched the brembo lo or more or less the edge of the clipper.
I had a spacer på you think a otherone would do? Seems strange because than the tyre will not be lying against the "plate".
Someone know what ET and offset it should be for the rims? ET=8" and offset?
I think i will by some new rims to fit the R19/235 on. But need to know so i get the correct ones.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I believe that the standard rims are 8Jx19 ET45. If you remove one of the rims, the dimensions will be stamped on one of the spokes.

ie rim barrel is 8” wide, 19” diameter, and the distance from the mating face to the centre line of the rim barrel is 45mm inboard.

As per my post above, it is the spoke design that is causing the interference, so the rim measurements alone will not necessarily assist you.

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I believe that the standard rims are 8Jx19 ET45. If you remove one of the rims, the dimensions will be stamped on one of the spokes.

ie rim barrel is 8” wide, 19” diameter, and the distance from the mating face to the centre line of the rim barrel is 45mm inboard.

As per my post above, it is the spoke design that is causing the interference, so the rim measurements alone will not necessarily assist you.
What @black_sheep said is spot on.

There are wheels (like mine) that are ET50 and clear the Brembos, but then there are wheels with offset of ET44 that still won't clear the Brembos (Racingline R360). Its all about the spoke design.

morto

Aug 8, 2017
Thanks for the input. How the hell will you know if they fit than when its depending on design :)
Also any know the CB dimention? Is it 70.1? But this i guess i could use spacer to use bigger?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
As mentioned standard ST R wheels are 8Jx19 ET45 - 5F9071499A
This 8Jx19 ET45 will give you a starting point - but again as mentioned spoke design is also critical for caliper clearance.

1637663053968.png

1637662991073.png

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks for the input. How the hell will you know if they fit than when its depending on design :)
Also any know the CB dimention? Is it 70.1? But this i guess i could use spacer to use bigger?
Centre Bore size for the Leon is 57.1, which is the same for the majority of VAG cars.

morto

Aug 8, 2017
Centre Bore size for the Leon is 57.1, which is the same for the majority of VAG cars.

This is very strange.
I was and checked my old winter rims now.
They are 19X8,5J ET 38 So they should fit, also talked to a rim/tire company and he was also very confused why they would hit the breaks.
But he said just use some spacing..
Here some fotos and you can see the sizewhere it hit the tyres.
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

morto

Aug 8, 2017
You have been driving on those???

Nope just roteded tires a bit before i notices it touched. Thats why the mark. So also a small mark on the brakes also but very small

Oct 21, 2020
Well, I noticed on my AEZ wheels, that the spokes are arched inside, so they can clear the brakes, but yours obviously don't have that arch

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
This is very strange.
I was and checked my old winter rims now.
They are 19X8,5J ET 38 So they should fit, also talked to a rim/tire company and he was also very confused why they would hit the breaks.
But he said just use some spacing..
Here some fotos and you can see the sizewhere it hit the tyres.
View attachment 28479 View attachment 28480 View attachment 28481
As said before, the offset of the wheel is not necessarily critical in clearing your brakes.

My Carbon wheels, basically the same as the R ST, are in fact ET50. But they clear the brakes still.

Apologies for the crude photoshop, here you can see I've given the wheel a wider offset (technically smaller negative offset) but the wheel design would mean it still catches the calliper. Wheel designs can vary greatly and just because it has a wider sitting offset, doesn't mean its going to be any better.

1637684250796.png

Sadly as the brakes are OEM you are unlikely to find a template online that you can use to check which wheels will clear.

Reactions: SuperV8 and SRGTD
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.