Leon VZ1 2.0TSI 245

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
The interior light. Unlock the car, open door and leave it open. Touch the overhead light with the door symbol (should turn to orange) then close the door. Then touch the overhead light switch so it returns to white and test that a couple of times. Worked for me mate.

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
Just another little update for anyone interested.

I've tried the above posted suggestions regarding the interior light not coming on sometimes, or going off immediately after it comes on. Doesn't work. There's now another thread mentioning this so it is clearly a bug. That along with the VC changing views between journeys. I'm sure I am not pressing the view button.

One other relatively annoying thing I've noticed - the driver's seat won't stay in position. It's 80% of my journeys where I have to re-adjust the seat-back further upright as it has mysteriously reclined overnight. First world problems I know, but still unexpected. Will be spoken about at service time.

Positive note: economy continues to impress. My last measured fill-up was 38MPG, 355 miles. That was on BP Ultimate 97 and mostly A-roads to and from work at very quiet times. I'm this time using Tesco Momentum 99 and it's performing well but maybe not as well, however I have been driving differently - currently indicating 34MPG to the tank. That said, I gave it some stick on the way home from work this morning and over 28 miles it still pulled 32MPG indicated. It's currently calculating 360 miles to barebones empty, so likely in total to be 320 at fill-up.

The car has done 3,000 miles now. The top end is a lot stronger when I go to use it, although with the wet roads this can get interesting in low gears (but in my eyes, interesting is better than boring!)

Lots of people asking about the exhaust note. The above posted video is quite accurate. It's very beefy in the lower rev range and very audible in the cabin up to 3k RPM, however after that the engine sound takes over. I don't have a video and haven't had too much time to take one, so don't know what it sounds like from outside.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I have just received a 245ps VZ2 in Desire Red as a courtesy car whilst my Mk3.5 290 is in for the dreaded water pump problem.

I've only driven about 30 miles but so far so far so good. It does seem to have the low end burble from the exhaust.

It's not as vicious as the 290 but seems plenty quick enough. If I were to go for a new one I'd need to dig deep and go for the 300.

I'll not go on about the touchscreen! I've tried with the Formentor I had for a while. Dumb decision for VAG group!

I've really grown to the looks of the Mk4 and the seats are really good as is the ambient lighting. I'll be going for a proper spin on Sunday and will report back.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Jan 16, 2022
The 2.0tsi VZ1 seems to be an amazing deal at the moment at £256 / month. Way cheaper than any of the competition. Anyway who would want a golf when you could have a cupra! 🙂

Reactions: jcbmally

seany72uk

Apr 26, 2022
Great thread with lots of info thanks op!

I’ve been considering the 245 Formentor for the past few weeks as it seems the best combination and this thread confirms my thoughts. My missus has a Formentor V2 1.5 on order and I’ve driven one but find it a bit gutless tbh.

I do like the look of the Leon but feel it just might be a bit small, I’m 6ft 2” and find the likes of BMW 3 series and Audi A4’s just too cramped. Although having never driven one I can’t say for sure, the Ibiza is definitely too little btw. How do you find the size?

The MPG stats are interesting as I’m currently in an Audi A6 TDi ultra 190 and driven like a granny in a Honda Jazz I can get close to 900 miles from the 70 litre tank, but I’m dying from boredom! I’m not interested in the ev’s etc but am in the petrol and the price can be about 15p a litre between diesel.

Need to check out the Leon deals as the Formentors and just a little bit over budget

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands

I’ve been considering the 245 Formentor for the past few weeks as it seems the best combination and this thread confirms my thoughts. My missus has a Formentor V2 1.5 on order and I’ve driven one but find it a bit gutless tbh.

I do like the look of the Leon but feel it just might be a bit small, I’m 6ft 2” and find the likes of BMW 3 series and Audi A4’s just too cramped. Although having never driven one I can’t say for sure, the Ibiza is definitely too little btw. How do you find the size?

The MPG stats are interesting as I’m currently in an Audi A6 TDi ultra 190 and driven like a granny in a Honda Jazz I can get close to 900 miles from the 70 litre tank, but I’m dying from boredom! I’m not interested in the ev’s etc but am in the petrol and the price can be about 15p a litre between diesel.

Need to check out the Leon deals as the Formentors and just a little bit over budget
I’m glad you found some of the information helpful. I’ll try and expand on some of your points.

it really is a peach of an engine. It’s dosile when you want it to be, and can really shift when you ask it to. It doesn’t by any accounts get you 0-60 in the fastest time, but I don’t want it to. If you want full beans and a lighter wallet, go for a 310 or golf R or above. That being said, the USABLE power is what sets it apart. You can make a swift getaway and be near/breaking the limit sooner than you’d think, but at least in the Leon I make it to the limit and realise, rather than in the 310 it’s an instant “sh*t I need to slow down”. I swap my time between this and a 310 Formentor, and the Leon just offers a more all round enjoyable drive. Honestly. From what I hear the 1.5 is a good engine now, but more suited to a hatchback. I’m looking at one for my other half in a leon/A3.

If size is a concern, you don’t gain that much in a Formentor. You’re higher off the ground with a more demanding driving position, but it’s definitely not an SUV height. The cabin is a bit more spacious, but only by a bit. You essentially don’t gain any extra boot space; the extra comfort is from you sitting higher in the cabin. I’m 6ft2 and bigger built and I have zero issues. It’s extremely comfortable in the Leon. I can’t comment on larger cars; my previous car was an Octy vRS estate and whilst I do very much miss the practicality, it’s only the odd time I really desire it. And I think that’s based on the A4? There’s not much difference in cabin space, especially the front.

MPG time. Disclosure, I do NOT drive like a granny in a jazz, but I certainly don’t send it everywhere at every possible opportunity either. It’ll sit at 70 and pull 47MPG on a run, that was measured and confirmed on fuelly with a run to Leeds and back. Mostly at 70, a couple of little blasts and accelerations, but definitely not sitting behind an artic at 56.
Day to day MPG is 38 measured to a tank. On each trip I do to work now which is 30 miles motorway and A roads, over 40 indicated. Again, not hanging about or grannying. The LOWEST I’ve seen? 31. And that was really pushing on in the early hours. Fuelly measurements range from 36-38 over a tank, and that equates to between 350 and 400 miles. Take note that the Formentor 310 has a 5 litre larger tank and will do 50 miles less. It’s a struggle to get that over 30. The 1.5 Im imagining will do up to 50. What’s good for me is that my Octy was the 2.0 184 Diesel, with 4Drive, maximum MPG I ever got was 42.5 and 470 miles, again that had 5 litre larger tank. Difference in price per mile between the Octy and Leon? 5p. Worth it.

seany72uk

Apr 26, 2022
Thanks op for the response, great reply! just the info I’m after.

I managed to pop into Seat Crewe today on my travels and had a good look around a Leon they had in, it was really nice and confirmed (like you say) size wise it felt perfect. It had loads of features (as they do in the showroom) and just felt like the Formentor but lower.

I’m seriously looking at Leons now (245 or the bad boy!)

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018

You'd be fine with a 3 series, I'm a bit taller and there's plenty of room but currently they're more expensive than a Formentor (on a lease). Anyway my recent buying decisions have primarily been swayed by lead times and cost more than the car itself, I had to run an old Toyota for seven months whilst I found something.

It's all so up in the air at the moment, again on a lease my Golf R order (which I cancelled due to ever increasing delay's) was cheaper than a VZ2 245 but now the Golf's have gone up 130 squid a month. I ended up getting a Cupra Ateca 300 over the Leon 245 simply because lead times were shorter (ordered 3 months ago and its already been built) and despite it being a far more expensive car it ended up costing less. Yeah, if you find it baffling so do I..

Last edited: