Limited Slippy

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Would it give any benefit over the EDL?

As far as I understand it, the EDL brakes a spinning wheel to cause torque to be diverted via the open diff to the wheel with grip.

What I don't know is whether the EDL works in a proportional way, i.e. modulating the braking force until the spinning wheel finds grip, or whether it's just a clumsy on/off method.

The Quaife would seem to proportion the torque to exactly match the grip ratio of the two driven wheels.

I think a mod like this in a FWD car could potentially give more of a performance boost than upping the power with a chip. My old RWD BMW was less powerful than my FR, but I could cover ground much quicker as I could use all the power, whereas the FR just spins it away in smoke. Any improvement in traction would be a big advantage.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Does anyone have any experience of these:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/Seat-Leon-02Q-Quaife-ATB-differential

Seems a good price for a potentially very effective upgrade.

How would it interact with the EDL already on the car? Would it just mean the EDL wouldn't cut in?

The price is good , but then have to pull out the eng/gboxdiff £XXX x dismantling the gboxdiff £xxxx x assembly of gboxdiff £xxx x refit into engine bay total cost around £2 - 2.5k.
I have fitted diffs when I had FIAT ABARTHS for hill climb/sprint work, its a long clean and precise work not a job for the average diy

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I wouldn't say it was as much as that...

the 02Q looks easier / no harder than the 02M to remove from the Leon - and Diff fitting normally costs ~ £600 inc g/box oil

yell_oh

Nov 5, 2006
Quaife+edl= :)

Interesting technical article on LSDs, EDL etc.

http://www.houseofthud.com/differentials.htm

According to the last paragraph, the Quaife and EDL complement each other nicely and should *reduce* torque steer in FWD applications.

I've been told it'll cost slightly more to fit than a new clutch.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
i had a clutch n diff fitted for 500 quid on an 02m 6 spd , it feels 100% , not that much torque steer ( you know its there tho) definatley is worth the money if you have issues with grip

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
Fabia vRS here, got a Quaife and it is definitely and unreservedly recommended if you want to get that power down on the road :)

Much easier to control power, more mechanical ability to drive out of corners/control slides/avoid them :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise