Looking for recent Altea XL

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
So far so good, thanks :)
There are two small issues I am having with it right now, which are:
1. The satnav doesn't show incoming/outgoing call logs with Android phone (no problem with iPhone though)
2. The brakes pedal is too high

Apart from that it is perfect :)

Valuesman

Aug 17, 2016
Hastings East Sussex
Hi there
About 18 months down the line I am in the same position about to buy same model apec and 19k on clock for 13 plate.
What if any advice can you offer with your experience? - mine is coming from seat main dealer.....Cheers

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi there
About 18 months down the line I am in the same position about to buy same model apec and 19k on clock for 13 plate.
What if any advice can you offer with your experience? - mine is coming from seat main dealer.....Cheers

They are great cars full stop. Just check that the gearbox shifts smoothly when pulling away from a standstill. The mechatronic unit in the DSG gearbox has a 10 year warranty anyway. It'll possibly still be on its original tyres at 19000 miles. The Michelin Energy savers are pretty hard wearing. Possibly a bargaining point.

Valuesman

Aug 17, 2016
Hastings East Sussex
Hi Cupra Ross

Many thanks for that.....
Reassuring to know.
Tyres are all new Continentals so no room there.
Will keep an eye on tracking though & post details once deal is done and the car is "home".

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
My car came with Dunlops (not Michelins) all around and the dealer said that these are the original tyres.

The car itself is great although the boot in "normal" Altea (not XL) is a bit too small to my liking.
The handling is as you would expect from SEAT - good in cornering and steering is very precise.
The gearbox is good in Sport mode and jerky in D-mode, especially around 30 mph, where it insists on being in 6th geat, so the engine is struggling.

The satnav is mediocre - for example there is no way to enter postcode and house/street at the same time - it is either postcode or house/street but not both. Also the satnav have a tendency to choose smaller roads even in Fast routes. Automatic rerouting doesn't always work - for example I could see an issue in Traffic list but satnav wouldn't reroute even if told to do it. It is not possible to click on Traffic problem and tell to satnav to avoid it, which is plain stupid.

The rear screen is a strange thing - it doesn't have any media playback capability so that you'll have to attach your own media player. I am using Raspberry Pi B with Kodi (XBMC) on it and it works well but there is no place to hide it, so I used dual-side tape to mount it on the console (I already replaced the tape twice).

I don't like pedals arrangement - the brakes' pedal is too high to my liking and there is no way to make it lower. I almost caused an accident when my foot got jammed below the pedal. I guess this is because I never had VAG cars in the past (I prefer Toyota or Ford) so it might not be a problem for you.

The armrest box between front seats is very much useless as it only got a tiny compartment inside (probably previously occupied by a CD changer) and its lid it sitting too low for me. Also the lid is very hard so resting an elbow on it isn't nice.

Apart from that I can't think of anything bad and even then all the "issues" I listed above are really nitpicking things.

Oh, and BTW I went for ITech model, not SE Copa, so it might be a bit different that yours.

Last edited:

TheRookie

Feb 9, 2015
Cupra Ross
The mechatronic unit in the DSG gearbox has a 10 year warranty anyway.
Are you sure? I've found that VW do it in China, Russia and US but can't find any information on this in the UK.