Looking to buy.. Advice please.

AmyBMini

Sep 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've previously been a SEAT Ibiza owner and am now helping my Mum look for a new car and I'm looking for a little advice on what model is going to be most suitable for her.

She previously had a B6 Passat 2.0 TDI sport, but is wanting to downsize. We've worked out that a SEAT Leon is route we want to take, staying in the VW group and enough space for passengers, shopping, luggage if need be. It needs to have some poke, and something thats a bit fun too. We like cars that you can actually drive if you want to instead of feeling like a passenger. Therefore we're narrowed it down to the FR.

Now this is where I feel like im going round in circles. Do we go Diesel and go for the 2.0 TDI or is picking a Petrol 1.8 TSI or the 1.4 TSI versions a better option? Having the £20/£30 tax on the 1.4 petrol or diesel is a good incentive but does the 1.4 provide enough power? There is nothing worse than feeling youre having to work a car up to overtaking.

She's wanting a car 3 years old or newer, so would be ok with something on a '15 plate, low milage and has a budget of £11000 max.

Cars that come with the tech pack seem a better option is this true? And ideally we prefer the look of the 18' alloys but does this affect the ride? Is there anything else we need to look out for that would be good to have on the car or issues that are prevalent in these Leons?

Thanks in advance!

Amy

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Amy

Go for a 1.4 ACT FR Petrol 150bhp and you don’t have to work it hard at all. My wife used to drive my previous 66 plate FR and said it was so easy to drive and she loved the power it offered. 50mph on an A road, give the pedal a little push and next thing you know you’re doing 80+. Touch the accelerator and it took off. Great car imo.

Look for a 66 onwards car with Performance pack and Tech pack and she won’t be disappointed.

Last edited:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
Cars that come with the tech pack seem a better option is this true? And ideally we prefer the look of the 18' alloys but does this affect the ride? Is there anything else we need to look out for that would be good to have on the car or issues that are prevalent in these Leons?

for me the petrol v diesel thing boils down to how many miles you are doing. I do about 18K miles per year so its diesel for me. Under 10K pa I'd definitely be in a petrol.

The majority of FR's will have the tech pack. Probably as high as 90%.
I've never driven a Leon on 17's so I can't directly compare.

Other options worth looking out for are the convenience pack, winter pack, seat sound, spare wheel, leather, sunroof.

The 180+ versions have bigger brakes and independent rear suspension compared to the 150 models.

AmyBMini

Sep 28, 2018
Thank you both for your replies and advice.

Maypack - Thats great to hear :) Whats the difference between the 1.4 TSI ACT, 1.4 ECO TSI, and the 1.4 TSI?

Big Col - She covers approx 10,000 miles a year so by the sound of it Petrol could be best. The 1.4 Petrol versions are also about £100 cheaper a year on insurance too which is a big thing. Also we live in Norfolk so have a fair trip to get to any Motorways too. The convenience pack is something im looking out for as well as the spare wheel, im guessing if the car doesn't come with one its something we could buy afterwards?

I've been looking at Autotrader, Parkers, etc for used cars, but is there anywhere thats good for used Leons?

Amy

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
The proper space saver spare is approx £200 from the dealer.
If you are buying from a SEAT dealer it's something to haggle over if your potential purchase doesn't have one.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
@AmyBMini. Not 100% sure but the 1.4 TSI was an older 140bhp engine. 1.4 ECO TSI and 1.4 Act are the same car 150bhp with Active Cylinder Technology. This is where 2 cylinders effectively switch off when no loading on the engine and switch back on when needed. This is seamless and you don’t notice a change in power. To be honest all you see is a message on the screen behind the steering wheel telling you it’s happening.

All my Leon FR’s had upgraded 18” Wheels Tech Pack, Convenience Pack as well and were great to drive, smooth and comfortable.

Last FR I owned.
bb225c740a2be25141a2555db340bcc0.jpg

AmyBMini

Sep 28, 2018
Thanks guys, appreciate all the advice. By the sound of it its going to be best to look for a 1.4 petrol as apposed to the 2.0 diesel, and keep an eye out for ones with 'extra' packs as an addition. Thankfully I'll be on the insurance so I'll get to enjoy the car too :)

Are there any known faults or issues that need to be addressed at specific milage that I should look out for?

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I have a 2013 1.4tsi and it has plenty of power. Ive had it since 2014 and so far all its needed is a turbo actuator (EPC Light comes on, on the dash) and a fuel flap actuator - It is noisy when you lock / unlock the car then eventually it doesn't work and you can't put petrol in. £20 sorts it tho and its easily fixed.

The 1.4tsi is a great engine and has a good balance between power and economy.

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
I had the same dilemma a few months back. I don't do huge mileage, so the petrol made sense. My mind was made up once I test drove a couple of 1.4's. They're not break neck power, but more than enough for me at the moment. I find the ride fairly comfortable on 18's and I do a bit of country lane driving. It's a nice sturdy feeling motor, easy to drive :cool:

Take one for a spin at a dealers :)

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've currently got a 17 plate fr 1.4eco tsi and am very happy with it. I have the convenience pack so auto lights, wipers and dimming rear view mirror. I do 20k a year and get just a good a mileage return as my 1.9cdti Astra Sri which is good, long term average of 47mpg. I think it's a great little motor that is good on fuel but packs a fair punch compared to it's size. I am looking for more power in the near future but that's just how I am, power is king!!!

Also have the 18s and love the look of them and, for me, comfort isn't an issue. Others on here have complained about the ride but I don't have any issues.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

I would add to all the above, take a few cars for a test drive as comfort is a very personal thing.

I run 19" and in comfort mode the car is very nice place to be so please go test drive a few cars with your mum.

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
I have the technology, winter and convenience packs and I'd like to have a full size spare and full link. I also have the 18" alloys as IMO, I think they look better. Mines monsoon grey but the Alor blue is a striking colour.

Reactions: Leonfr140

AmyBMini

Sep 28, 2018
Thanks everyone, we're planning on heading to a dealership on Sunday for some test drives, I'm pleased to hear the 18' alloys don't make the ride uncomfortable as we do prefer the look of them, they finish the car off in my opinion. It's a shame the ads don't seem to give what spec the cars come with and the extras, they only seem to give a generic overview Colour wise as long as it's not black, white or bright green mum will be happy

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I came from a 2.0 TDI Touran to a 1.4 FR and have been pleasantly surprised by both the power and economy of the smaller petrol engine, also the lighter car accelerates and handles much better.

I'd deffo recommend your mum test driving one with the 18" wheels first before buying one, as the ride vs looks is a marmite choice.

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
Or you could buy my Leon st fr 1.8 dsg in alor blue. Still got warranty till next September (manufacturers extended)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
My Leon is the 1.4 FR (150 HP) and my previous daily drive was an Audi 2.0 Sport Diesel (also 150 HP), so I might be able to offer some useful comparisons.

The Leon is more fun and responsive to drive. You don't quite have the same effortless diesel torque so you'll use the gearbox a bit more for overtaking. However, the engine is so much more responsive that its a pleasure.

iirc the Passat has independent rear suspension (like my Audi) the 1.4 FR doesn't. Does it make a difference? You can certainly notice it, at relatively high speeds on poor road surfaces then the rear end is less stable when cornering. Not dangerously so, but it is different, adjusting the tyre pressures makes a significant improvement from SEAT's high recommendations which are based on fuel economy not handling.
The 1.8 Leon has fully independent rear suspension and slightly larger front brakes too.

Wheel size. I went for 17s after doing some comparative testing. The ride is slightly better and handling even more so compared to the 18s.

If you must have 18s and actually like driving quite quickly on typical country roads I'd be inclined towards the 1.8 for the better suspension and added performance. The downside is going to be higher running costs (mpg is significantly lower, about an extra £200/yr for your 10k miles and Road Tax). They also sold many fewer 1.8s, so there's less choice when buying "pre-loved" . HTH and good luck,

Reactions: AmyBMini

Leonfr140

Aug 18, 2013
East Sussex
Hi everyone,

I've previously been a SEAT Ibiza owner and am now helping my Mum look for a new car and I'm looking for a little advice on what model is going to be most suitable for her.

She previously had a B6 Passat 2.0 TDI sport, but is wanting to downsize. We've worked out that a SEAT Leon is route we want to take, staying in the VW group and enough space for passengers, shopping, luggage if need be. It needs to have some poke, and something thats a bit fun too. We like cars that you can actually drive if you want to instead of feeling like a passenger. Therefore we're narrowed it down to the FR.

Now this is where I feel like im going round in circles. Do we go Diesel and go for the 2.0 TDI or is picking a Petrol 1.8 TSI or the 1.4 TSI versions a better option? Having the £20/£30 tax on the 1.4 petrol or diesel is a good incentive but does the 1.4 provide enough power? There is nothing worse than feeling youre having to work a car up to overtaking.

She's wanting a car 3 years old or newer, so would be ok with something on a '15 plate, low milage and has a budget of £11000 max.

Thanks in advance!

Amy

I’d Sell you my 1.4 TSI 150 with Tech pack and 18s for £11,000! In desirable Alor Blue it’s a 65 plate it’s got enough poke, and is fairly efficient, usually 40s low 50s best if seen is 70 mpg!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.