LOST CAUSE!! Help needed please

Oct 6, 2023
Hi! Bit of a long one… I have had my Leon for almost a year now and it has been non stop problems from the get go!
Have had an ongoing issue with overheating, did the water pump and thermostat within the first 2 weeks of ownership, stopped the problem for a while but of course it returned. Would be sat in traffic for 10 minutes and it would go up to 130 especially in the hot weather. Have a mechanic mate who’s looked the car over a few times, most recently had said possible head gasket so went and got some steel seal for it as many of you know money is tight so I had to go with the cheaper option! Since putting that in, car has still been overheating but not as bad as it was, have just put new fans in too as these have never worked since having the car, but still the problem persists..
Another issue is the past few days it has been misfiring from 2000 - 3000rpm every gear, can’t even get up to 60 without it going into limp mode (next steps are changing leads and spark plugs)
The only reason I haven’t wrapped it round a tree yet is because unfortunately the car is on finance.. at the time I was in desperate need of a car and this was one of few options, I was unaware of any of the issues the car had before buying else I wouldn’t have given it a second look. I’m in a lose lose situation as if I handed the car back I would still be left with the debt of finance.. if you’ve got this far into reading then I really appreciate it😂 Any advice is welcome good or bad just feel a bit stuck with it all!! Thanks✌🏻

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
If the fans didn't' work, that was probably what caused the overheating to begin with. If they were left broken and it overheated several times, it's probably killed the head gasket.

You shouldn't have had to do the water pump so soon after buying the car, it's the responsibility of the dealer/garage that sold it to you.

How long have you had the car?

Last edited:

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
I'm having the same overheating issue right now with mine though it only touched the first red marker once and its been parked until it can go to the garage on Thursday and my fans do kick in just in a losing the fight on the heat as it looks like my thermostat is borked. One thing to check on the misfiring is checking the rocker cover isn't leaking oil into the plug tubes as i had that in the past and it misfired like mad until I sorted that as it of course would send the power to the block not the plug. If its not that then could be the normal coil packs or plugs.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members