Lost Drive

AD90

I have lost drive in my 51 plate 1.9tdi manual (6 speed)

Any ideas? I have heard a report that the driveshafts can pop out, any truth or am I looking at a gearbox rebuild?

Thanks

AD90

Goz

running on the dark stuff
Oct 28, 2004
North Hampshire
Hi AD90,
my 02 plate 1.9TDI shot a drive shaft a few years ago, about 3 months before the warranty expired (fortunately!). Lost drive completely and sounded like a high speed metallic sound. Don't know how much or how difficult it was to fix as done under warranty.

TimsBamma

Sep 22, 2006
Hi Did it go bang when turning left or right? If you try and engage drive does it graunch and sound like a bag of spanners?

If so you may have what has happened to me a month ago (02 115PD manual @ 70007 miles)

The offside intermediate shaft has a male splined end at the gear box end of the shaft and this mates into a female splined unit that connects to the gearbox.

the splines tend to fail (dealers are aware) cost (£298 parts and 1/1.5 hrs labour.

Ouch:cry:

AD90

Thanks Goz & Tim,

It is the splines that are stripped, I removed the old parts yesterday and have tried to get the parts today. Although it's a common failure, there is not a Seat or VW dealer between Inverness and Glasgow/Edinburgh who has the parts in stock. I guess it's a sign of the times, most folks would be happy to have their car towed to the garage and wait ~3 days.

Lots of info and pics on here:

http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?showtopic=10745&hl=drive+shaft

Cheers

AD90

TimsBamma

Sep 22, 2006
Hi

yep I'm TimsBamma over there as well...:)

Was that thread that made me think d'oh I know what that is, when I suffered the same fault.

AD90

Got the bits today from my local Seat dealer. £261 after a 10% discount.

I have also written a letter to Seat UK expressing my concern about the fact that they have not issued a recall for this known and potentially lethal problem. I cited land Rover as an example of a responsible car manufacturer, they recalled a huge number of Defenders and Discoverys that had a similar problem (failure of an unlubricated spline)

I will let you know how I get on.

AD90

PS. Part Numbers for a 51 plate 115PD: 02N409344E & 02N409345

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members