Lowered on Eibachs springs

Jan 1, 2007
Retford, Notts
Anyone out there got their Leon lowered on Eibachs springs?

I know I should upgrade the whole suspension but dont have the money at present. Will do in the future.

But how will it ride and handle if I just change the springs?

I will obviously need to get the tracking sorted but will I bounce around lots? Im after the appearance more than the handling advantages as I think it will look better slightly lower.

Cheers

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Eibach are the only brand I would consider doing this with. They work alongside the manufacturer to develop springs that work well with the standard shocks and the rest of the standard suspension setup. They wont ever be as good as if you had bought matching shocks, but they will still give a better ride and a lower ride height.

If you get the progressive Eibach springs, you'll probably find the ride is a little smoother too.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Not a clue to be honest as I've not needed to look myself. I paid £180 for Eibach springs for an old car of mine so I'd expect the price to be similar.

Check out the various forum sponsor sections as I'm sure most of them sell Eibach.

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
I lowered mine on Eibach Sportlines, no shocks - it was tighter in the corners, but bounced alot on bumpy roads and made the shocks work very hard so the car was literally painful to drive over potholes and uneven road

I put Koni yellow shocks on at the weekend and now it drives like it should do. Better handling, more comfy on potholes, less bouncy - general improvement all round.

Doing the shocks seperately means you pay for fitting twice...

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
i have eibach springs but im waiting to get Koni FSD's to go with

they will work quite well on standard shocks i gather, but eventually they will wreck the shocks. as with all things they arent designed to carry eibach lowered springs so your using them outside of their realm of working.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
It depends on how many miles you have on your car? If you have much over 40/50 then you might as well do em both. As said before your old shocks will have to work harder than before and their lifespan reduced. I had eibachs done on mine at 12k at midland vw, £210 . It was recomended not to do the shocks as the current ones would work fine due to their age. It made a great diffence, less roll firmer and looks much better. I had mine serviced last week and complained that it was getting crashey at the back (21k) was told it was the rear bushes, got it done this week (£150) and its perfect again......

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Rear ones are easy,shocks are separate to the springs but front ones more difficult, need to remove the whole strut and need spring compressors really (and the knowledge). Then need tracking done afterwards.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members