Lowering a fr

k3gsxr

How you doin, has anyone lowered the leon tdi fr, if so what would be best, do you think 30mm is ok, i dont think 40mm would be advisable cause the suspension is rock hard just now, but could be persuaded, ill be changing the alloys to 18s later as im getting the remap next month, would i be better uprating the engine mounts aswell, wish i could do it all at once then it is done, any help would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
around the 40mm mark would be about right if you still want to be able to fully drive the car. Mine is on coilovers with a drop something similar and to be honest when i went lower, especially the front, it would rub and it was fairly undrivable on NI roads unless you were doing very low speed EVERYWHERE you went... i got sick of it and raised it up, had the rear done to match and its been grand ever since...

k3gsxr

Thanks for your reply, wish i could go the whole haul and get coilovers but ill be getting the remap, 18" alloys and fit the sounds first, nearly forgot the btcc spoiler, so the quickest way to get it lowered (while ive got funds) would be just springs, most ive noticed are using the eibach springs, so will probably go for them

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I have ordered a set of sportlines for my Fr got them from motorsportworld delivered for £141 and gonna fit them this weekend. There are loads of pics of them lowered on sportlines if you search. After reading loads of good reviews on the sportlines thats what I went for. Also says clearance is not an issue.

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
I have ordered a set of sportlines for my Fr got them from motorsportworld delivered for £141 and gonna fit them this weekend. There are loads of pics of them lowered on sportlines if you search. After reading loads of good reviews on the sportlines thats what I went for. Also says clearance is not an issue.

I did the same! Shame you're not closer..... could have had a sportline fitting mini meet.....

i'm waiting for the weather to improve to fit mine, don't have access to a garage!

k3gsxr

i looked up the sportlines and they lower the car 50 and 35, take it the car will look even, more parallel to the ground with them?

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
i looked up the sportlines and they lower the car 50 and 35, take it the car will look even, more parallel to the ground with them?

possibly a nose down sort of stance? 50 at the front and 35 at the back i assume? if so, im quite baffled as to how i cant go any lower at the front without rubbing on the arch-liner driving over bumps or during sharp, heavy cornering :confused: and mine is only lowered 40mm maybe slightly more...

Feb 26, 2009
London
If you dont have bodykit even 40mm will be ok if you got bodykit I would suggest 30mm max. If you got biigger budget I would recommend koni coilovers. I got them for my car. They go from 0 to 60 front and 0-65 back. Easy to adjust and looks great when you drop it low. Oh yeah they cost me £850 so like I said great if you got budget. At first had PI springs 30mm lower and was ok :)

k3gsxr

One of the guys from my work was saying that there is a problem with the golfs and a3s being lowered more than 30mm, the drivshaft hits the anti roll bar, so you have to change the anti roll bar aswell or get a kit that makes the gap bigger, would this be the same as the leon, has anyone experienced this?

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
One of the guys from my work was saying that there is a problem with the golfs and a3s being lowered more than 30mm, the drivshaft hits the anti roll bar, so you have to change the anti roll bar aswell or get a kit that makes the gap bigger, would this be the same as the leon, has anyone experienced this?

Thats on the older shape A3 and MK4 Golf, different set up to the MK2 Leon.

k3gsxr

Thanks for that, youve just convinced me, ill be getting the eibach sportlines then,

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I think on an FR and cupra the drop is only 30mm front and rear. The big drop is for other models. I done mine after work tonight and it looks ace no clearance issues and ride the same if not better than before. Really pleased with these.

Feb 26, 2009
London
For our street more that 30mm will be too low. When I had mine lowered 50mm I sratched my front bumper and back box.... :(

k3gsxr

Now ive been put off the sportlines again, evn though it would look amazin i dont want it to be that low it catches the speed bumps or i cant get it on the ramp at work, maybe the prolines 30mm or the konis drop it 35mm, any thoughts on these, im as indecisive as a woman on a diet