Lowering on springs

marcuswomersley

Jan 14, 2009
Stoke-on-Trent
I just want to put my leon 1.6 down 40mm on springs, without replacing the standard shock absorbers. Is this safe to do? it wont damage my car or shock absorbers in anyway will it?

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
on a standard leon id say no, max id do is 25 - 30 on standard shocks, plus if there worn and you change the springs the dampers may give up. Spend a bit more and do it properly

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
go for it dude.... 40mm should be fine... i run a 45mm drop on my mk4 golf gti on standard shocks....never had any problems... it should be fine...but its up to you

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
well at the mo im using cobra springs/shocks...ive found them really good... ive used eibach, gmax, spax, and weitec on my other cars...... wish id stuck with weitec to be honest... but couldnt get the drop i wanted without going to coilovers... ... its up to you really... just depends on your budget

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
I think Lee69 is on 40mm springs with standard shocks with no problems although his is a cupra.

Everyone seems to have missed this which is probably the most important fact.

The standard Cupra is already lower than the standard Leon platform and as such has shocks matched to the lower springs.
I believe the drop quoted by most spring suppliers is usually based on the standard platform and therefore you do not get the full quoted drop when these springs are fitted to say a Cupra or Golf GTI etc.
i.e. Quoted 40mm drop springs will give you 40mm on the standard Leon but only 25-30'ish on the Cupra.
Now I would say the standard Cupra shocks could probably cope with the 25-30 drop, although personally I would always change both, but the full 40mm on the standard platform might be asking a bit much of the standard shocks.
This is all my own work so I stand to be corrected as always.

As James said the Jom stuff seems to be getting good publicity on here for those on a budget.

Last edited:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
hmmmh... id maybe stick to the shocks and springs mate, without getting coilies setup properly, i.e cornerweighted, heights different on drivers side etc.. then i wuldnt bother, also the shocks and springs will outlast the coilies, the joms wont be corrosion resistant and the threads will corrode.

for non track useage id stick to shocks and springs.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.