MAF issue

yellowbelly

Right please bear with me as i'm totally new to all this, not even got an Ibiza Cupra yet but looked at one onthe weekend.

The guy told me the engine management light always stays on when starting the car up each time and will stay on for the duration of the drive unless over 200 miles so say?
Apparantly it doesn't affect the way the car drives and in the test drive it felt fine and boosted as i'd imagine it to do.

He mentioned something about the MAF (which to be honest i'm not brilliant with cars and learn about my cars as i go - this would/could be my first Seat so not 100% sure about what this is/does etc).

What could the problem be or is that a piece of string question?

If i can get the car cheap enough could it be something that i could get sorted for say a couple of hundred quid?

All help gratefully received, what else do you need to know if i've not been clear enough which i'm sure i haven't

thanks

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
You need to scan the car with a laptop running VAG COM using an OBD2 cable which will tell you what fault code has been logged to raise the EML. Without doing that you're just guessing.

yellowbelly

Right spoken to the chap selling the car who has a printout that reads the following...

airmassfault01, and apparantly on the dyno sheet he says it reads 500?

any use in finding out whats up?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Right spoken to the chap selling the car who has a printout that reads the following...

airmassfault01, and apparantly on the dyno sheet he says it reads 500?

any use in finding out whats up?

Need abit more for info, does he have a fault code number?

yellowbelly

well he's saying that...

"i can assure you its only an airmass fault and the worst a new air mass meter wouldn't be alot, but it says on the dyno sheet it's because of the remap so i wouldn't think its anything to worry about because its in writing".

thoughts?

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
MAF's are only about £70 odd so if it is that then it shouldnt be to much to fix...

If your looking to buy it though imo i wouldnt look at buying somthing that an owner says it has this and that wrong but hasnt bothered to fix it before trying to sell it...Id be wanting him to fix the problem before trying to shift the car with possible more problems onto somone.

Like Robbie c says you really need to have it checked on vag-com either by a dealer, garage or somone who has the software to find out what fault codes it brings up.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
MAF's are only about £70 odd so if it is that then it shouldnt be to much to fix...

If your looking to buy it though imo i wouldnt look at buying somthing that an owner says it has this and that wrong but hasnt bothered to fix it before trying to sell it...Id be wanting him to fix the problem before trying to shift the car with possible more problems onto somone.

Like Robbie c says you really need to have it checked on vag-com either by a dealer, garage or somone who has the software to find out what fault codes it brings up.

x2

Dosnt faulty/ dead maf also trigger traction control light? :rolleyes:

yellowbelly

Very doubtful but don't suppose anyone near Salisbury fancies having a look with the aid of vag.com at the Cupra in question?

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
put a post up in the vag-com section mate...or if you got a laptop then get one of the cables from e-bay and the free shareware version of it..

blackspirit

use vagcom and post it.. in the beginning it can reset by it self if it is the maf but if the maf get worser the light stays on.. that is happend to me..
and you also noticed it when your maf is real bad around 2500 rpm it doesn't want to go

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
the maf went on my car few months ago so i replaced it with another. and now the replacement has packed up but is still under warrenty so i have had to take this out and send it back, was just wondering can i put back in the original (which i know is faulty) back in and drive the car till my replacement comes or will this make things worse

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.