Manual gearbox Cupra, no more, where do I look next?

trebor

Dec 13, 2014
Worcester
I was in the same position re: auto/DSG, always had manuals and not been impressed with the auto in various hire cars over the years.
I was looking at the BMW M140i, but really wasn’t sure on the auto which is all that’s available now.
Fortunately BMW were offering 24hr test drives, so I took one out and it did take several hours of driving before I started to get that engaged feeling with the paddles and the box in manual. It’s just different, and took a lot of getting used to. Once I had a few hrs under my belt and found some empty twisty countryside roads I had a proper spirited drive with the car in sport and the box in manual and did find that there was that same feeling of engagement and satisfaction that the manual box gives when you get the gear changes just right through a set of bends etc. That and the sound of that B58 straight six

Having had the 140 for 6 weeks or so now I love the ZF 8 speed box. Best of both worlds, leave the car in comfort and in drive and the daily commute is easy and silky smooth, but kickdown gives you all the power when you want to overtake. Sport mode with box in manual gives you the more engaging drive for when you want that.

Think we’ll see less and less manuals in the performance end of model line ups.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Many thanks to everyone who replied with the usual informative and helpful comments.
I’ve got a few months left before I have to make a decision.
I bought my first hot hatch back in 1983. It was a Golf GTi Campaign model with the Pirelli P alloys. Since then I’ve had several GTis, both 8V and 16V, a Primera eGT, 3 Type Rs. Needless to say, they were all manual. I never associated fun, performance cars with an automatic gearbox. Back in the day, a lady in the same department as me always bought the most boring automatic Civic imaginable.
I realise now I’m going to have to put these prejudices behind me and leap into the 21st century.
The one worry I have is going from a DSG into my partners manual Citigo and vice versa. Could my old grey matter cope with this? She very rarely drives my car, other than long motorway journeys where we share, and possibly in a real emergency.
I’ve been looking at the VW R owners forum.
Many of the comments mirror what people have said here.
Always had a manual.
Didn’t like the idea of an automatic.
Test drove a DSG.
Bought one.
Love it.
Wouldn’t go back to a manual.
Nearer the time I’ll investigate the possibility of a 24 hour test drive as I’ve found to my cost that a quick 10 minute drive around the block tells you very little.
Thanks again everyone.

heliophile

May 1, 2016
Manchester
The one worry I have is going from a DSG into my partners manual Citigo and vice versa. Could my old grey matter cope with this? She very rarely drives my car, other than long motorway journeys where we share, and possibly in a real emergency.
I’ve been looking at the VW R owners forum.

I had exactly the same situation, but found my wife is fine with her occasional use of the Cupra and I switch into manual mode when I use her manual Hyundai, without even thinking.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I'm maybe a bit odd as I had a DSG Golf GTI Mk7 for 2 years and went back to a manual with a Cupra 300. I didn't hate the automatic but I just prefer manual. I've been back with the manual for 6 months now and rarely do I wish I had the DSG again. For me, the auto was only better when doing "boring" driving but I don't have a fast car for those times. I have one for the times I'm on a nice B road.

Totally to each their own though. I can definitely see the attraction of the DSG.

Reactions: Jay280 and Wings988