--Misfire on boost--

Aug 19, 2020
Hello boys ive posted before about my misfire issue, long story short ever since i changed my plugs a few month ago (changed from ngk pfr6q to the same new pfr6q plugs) whenever the car hits a decent anount of boost the car misfires or hesitates/whole car vibrates rapidly you can feel it in the peddles and wheel, i changed back to my old plugs to see if it was them new plugs, no change so i know its not the new plugs, i had a friend scan for codes and only one code related to the EGT sensor came up so we changed that and no difference the same issue persists, next ive ordered a new MAF sensor and installed that today and still the problem persists (changed MAF as when unplugged nothing changed, the car ran exact same and not even EML came on so i assumed it was faulty MAF) only thing i have left to try is all new coils, but we never got codes related to them but ill check them anyways when i can get my hands on a set that i know work.

In short im stuck and dont know what todo next, the car has a pretty lumpy idle now but it never used to when i first got the issue, car runs and still pulls fine until you make enough boost for it to hesistate, we tried driving with the MAP sensor unplugged and no difference there either, ive yet to have a VCDS scan the car as i dont know anyone that has one unfortunately but any adivce would be greatly appreciated, its frustrating not being able to enjoy my money pit lol.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Weird that driving with the maf unplugged didn't trigger a eml light. Does it come on and go off again normally at start up?

As for the misfire.... you could throw endless parts at it and still not find the cause. Without being able to run logs then it's just a guessing game, if you plan on keeping it long term then VCDS is a sound investment. If you had logs of the injector duty cycles, lambda readings, boost rerquested vs actual etc etc etc while the fault was occuring, it would definitely point you in the right direction

Aug 19, 2020
update concerning the new maf, insatlled yesterday (yes its installed the correct way around) started it up after work and now misfires like crazy idling i unplugged and drove home just fine? im confused lol its a brand new maf and its worse than the old one

Aug 19, 2020
--SOLUTION--

Changed all 4 coils and now works fine although traction light still on probable just needs to be cleared or could be the fact i put old MAF back on, hope this helps anyone in future

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
update concerning the new maf, insatlled yesterday (yes its installed the correct way around) started it up after work and now misfires like crazy idling i unplugged and drove home just fine? im confused lol its a brand new maf and its worse than the old one
Was it a genuine bosch maf?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
No, Ridex one, the old one was a ridex too
Cheap MAFs are known to cause issues, especially on boost. You can usually get away with it on NA engines, but they struggle to keep up with the rapid changes in airflow that you get with a turbocharged engine.

Genuine Bosch MAFs are the way to go, but if it's working with the old one for now then happy days.

Reactions: Rich.T
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members