Misfire on cylinder 3

Apr 9, 2023
Hi everyone I’m looking for some advice regarding my 2010 Seat Leon Cupra R.

I had an unrelated issue with the car a couple of months ago and when the mechanic plugged it in he also found a misfire on cylinder 3. He changed the spark plugs and coil pack which didn’t solve it. After doing a compression test he discovered cylinder 3 was down to around 80PSI which he said was critical and referred me to another garage as he didn’t have to time to do the work due to it potentially being a big job.

I took it to the other garage and explained the issue, they took it for a test drive but told me not to worry about it as the performance of the car isn’t affected, and basically fobbed me off. To be honest I just got the impression they couldn’t be arsed to do the work!

Now he’s right when he says the performance isn’t affected because it isn’t; the car pulls extremely well in every gear. It has a stage 2 remap 360bhp so has plenty of power, I wouldn’t have even noticed a misfire if I didn’t have it plugged in. Having said that there is a noticeable popping sound coming from the engine on idle but only when it’s in neutral, once it’s in gear the popping stops and as I said the car seems to run fine when it’s moving.

He basically told me that due to the fact there’s no power loss I shouldn’t worry about it. However I have done nothing but worry about it as it’s clearly only going to get worse over time! And I had no end of problems getting it through an MOT last year as it kept failing on emissions, ended up paying out for a new cat when it was probably due to the misfire! (The irony is it was this same garage that did the MOT and the cat!) MOT time is coming up again in a few months and I plan on selling the car soon after so I obviously need to get it sorted.

I plan to take it elsewhere to get it looked at but just wanted to come on here and see if anyone could advise on what sort of bill I could be looking at. Obviously it could be one of many issues but a rough idea would be great.

the fact that the car seems to run fine performance wise is stumping me to be honest as surely there would be a substantial loss of power?

TIA

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise