Misfire under hard acceleration (2001 1.8T)

gmjgreg7

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from anyone that has experienced anything similar.

I've been having issues with coil packs for the last few months. I had two replaced with new ones back in December and then another one replaced earlier in the week with a 2nd hand part. The car has seemed pretty slow for a good few months now but over the last couple of months it has developed an extra symptom! It now misfires under hard acceleration through 4kRPM (doesn't matter which gear) when the engine is under a decent amount of load, up hills etc.

The misfire is nowhere near as severe as it has been when the coil packs have gone in the past and as soon as you ease off it resolves itself. I gave it a bit of grief the other day to see how it would respond and the engine warning light came on, but within a minute it had gone back out again.

Like I said the car does seem a long way down on power and the exhaust is very sooty - like its not burning the fuel properly.

Obviously I'm quite concerned that its something more serious than just the final coil pack needing replacing, but I'm also wondering if it is just an iffy plug or lead. Any advice would be much appreciated, it's due in for a service and general bit of TLC at Midland VW next week but any 'heads-up' that you peeps have to offer would be good.

I'm supposed to be driving it down to the French Alps over the bank holiday weekend and then my wife needs to use it to get to work each day as soon as I get home. So its pretty important that it doesn't let me down half way up a some snow covered mountain!

Once again, any advice would be appreciated.

-Greg

The motor in question is a 2001 1.8T Ibiza Cupra

gmjgreg7

Quick update...

All now seems to be well following the service - having given it a thorough test this afternoon and evening! Looks like the fault was once again down to yet another dreaded coil pack (error code - misfire on 2nd cylinder) once the pack had been replaced it was like driving a completely different car. It is now pulling smoothly through all gears without any problems when it starts boosting.

gmjgreg7

Every 1.8t should come with a couple of spare coil packs so that you can do roadside repairs! Spare bulbs for your indicators, spare wheel for punctures and coil packs for misfires!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members