Missing Engine Cover

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Just booking in my Leon for it's first service, and asked about the engine cover that was removed in the CUPRA recall. Seems that there is still no fix and new cars are now coming from the factory with no cover.:(

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Was this due to engine compartment fires, or because they may come loose?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Was this due to engine compartment fires, or because they may come loose?
I think it was both - i.e. risk of engine cover working loose and touching very hot parts in the engine compartment, resulting in a fire.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Just booking in my Leon for its first service, and asked about the engine cover that was removed in the CUPRA recall. Seems that there is still no fix and new cars are now coming from the factory with no cover.:(
The mk8 Golf is also still coming from the factory without engine cover.

axeriano

Dec 5, 2022
Latvia
A new cover is currently under testing. Instead of engine cover cars from the factory comes with inner bonnet protection.

Railwayman

Jun 13, 2022
Lancashire
It would be good to finally see this sorted. Every time I top up the washer bottle I’m reminded that the cover is missing and the top of the engine is looking tatty and becoming mottled (think that’s how to describe it)

Reactions: Seastormer

axeriano

Dec 5, 2022
Latvia
Where did you find out this info and does that mean existing owners will get this retro fitted too?
From my contact in the dealership, owners without cover should receive their cover as well. VW recalled all GTI, R and other performance cars, including Cupra in early 2022 (march, april).

Official statement:
Volkswagen says that GTIs and Rs will be assembled with an improved engine cover design when this component becomes available. As a result, customers will have the engine covers removed by authorized Volkswagen retailers until further notice.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Is this for mk4 Leons only, or mk3s too?
Yes, the mk3 isn’t affected.

It’s not just the mk4 Leon though within VAG; quite a few current models across the various brands within VAG with the 2.0 EA888 petrol engine are currently without an engine cover.

Reactions: axeriano

Miket

Mar 31, 2023
Been a lot said about the missing engine covers throughout the vag range, now it’s gone a bit further and it’s the interior mats, collected a new formentor vz 2 weeks ago and told the mats are on back order, now told there won’t be any mats until June, we’ll be buggered when they run out of steering wheels

Miket

Mar 31, 2023
🤣 The Ateca mats are common to Tiguan and Golf 7 so I expect the Leon 4 ones will be common to other VAG models. Needs a bit of research. If you really want to or the old fashioned way of chopping down a general purpose car mat as a stop gap.
Lots of mats on amazon for the job but just a bit annoying that you buy the most expensive cupra and you only get half a car, and even more annoying when you go out in the car and come back with the inside looking like the photo IMG_2398.jpeg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Took delivery of 23 plate Cupra Leon with no engine cover and after asking the question the reply was not having one
That’s interesting…..

This was posted recently on a VW T-Roc forum;

Dear Mr *****
Thank you for your email. I can confirm that I have had notification from factory that the engine covers will be available from week 19 2023, week commencing 8 May.
I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused and your Volkswagen retailer will be in contact when the engine cover arrives to arrange a suitable date for it to be fitted.

Kind regards

Debra Lynn
Customer Relations Manager
Executive Office

Volkswagen Customer Services Centre”

So if engine covers are to be retro-fitted to VW’s T-Roc, then I’d expect a consistent approach to be applied across all VAG brands, and models that are currently missing a cover to get one too.

Might be worth taking it up with your dealer again or raising the issue with Cupra’s Executive Office to get an official response on whether or not you’ll be getting an engine cover and assuming you will, when this will be.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Took delivery of 23 plate Cupra Leon with no engine cover and after asking the question the reply was not having one
I have just had my Leon in for it's first service at the end of April, and the dealer told me then that new engine covers where expected soon. I would get an email from then at the time they arrive so I could arrange a day to come in to get it fitted.

Reactions: Railwayman

Miket

Mar 31, 2023
From my contact in the dealership, owners without cover should receive their cover as well. VW recalled all GTI, R and other performance cars, including Cupra in early 2022 (march, april).

Official statement:
Volkswagen says that GTIs and Rs will be assembled with an improved engine cover design when this component becomes available. As a result, customers will have the engine covers removed by authorized Volkswagen retailers until further notice.
I spoke with a dealership yesterday about the engine cover and they said, cars that arrived new without the cover would not be getting a cover?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise