Mk 2 Leon, How to Seal the Bonnet Strip

Chief

Jun 5, 2012
Ahhh fair enough. Still might go ahead and try sealing the seal with foam to see how it turns out. Definately going to plastidip my new spl when i get it. Im sure the designs cant be that much different, I was thinking the same thing about the tape solution but then realised I would rather have water sit there rather than on the soundproofing and the engine bay dont you think?

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
I was thinking the same thing about the tape solution but then realised I would rather have water sit there rather than on the soundproofing and the engine bay dont you think?

Agreed but I don't think either is a preferable solution. If you plastidip the reverse side of the SPL, that will protect it and most of the water will run off the front of it. Some will still collect on the SPL and run off into the engine bay when you open the bonnet. I've always thought it's better to stop the water getting in rather than dealing with it after it's got in.

Chief

Jun 5, 2012
Yeh that makes sense, its just a problem that I believe shouldnt exist. How is yours holding up with the sealing you did?

When I open up my bonnet theres not a massive amount of water that gets through, the thing that annoys me more is how the water runs off to the back (behind) of the engine bay when fully opening the bonnet. Every car i've had has never ever had this problem and the water would always run off some other place and never into the back of the engine bay !! Is this common on yours too? Any tips on how I should go about sealing it properly ? Im tempted to go with the plastidip, single foam strip along the scuttle and taping most of the holes, this seems a cheap fix which can easily be rectified should something go wrong. Would just like your expert opinion TimSawf

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
When you open the bonnet, any water that has collected under the Bonnet Strip runs out of the back but it hits the lip at the back of the Bonnet Strip (where the washer jets are) and diverts it forward into the engine bay. I think that lip also diverts some of the water running off the top of the bonnet.

Looking at the photo of the earlier version of the Bonnet Strip (previous page) it looks like there may be vent holes running along the leading edge. If they are, water will bypass any sealing strip you fit unless the vents are sealed (expandable foam maybe)

Probably best to take yours off and have a look at it to see the exact design of it. It only took me 2 attempts and a couple of hours so it's not rocket science. You should have a better idea then of the best materials needed to seal it. Mine has been bone dry for 2 years now.

Chief

Jun 5, 2012
Ok I see, I think the gorilla tape should be sufficient enough to cover the vents. Im going to go ahead and buy the plastidip, foam strip and tape (as theese are relatively cheap items) along with the SPL & clips and just have a go and see what happens. Thanks for all your help Tim!! Much appreciated

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Guys what stuff do I need to do this DIY fix. I looked on eBay but ended up getting confused with all the different types and sizes of seals available

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Can anyone find a uk seller for the d seal on this guide? The link above is from an overseas seller who does not ship to uk. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Mine looks like this :
aba7evyz.jpg

I noticed the rubber seal along the edge was damaged. Did the older versions of the strip have this or was this a revised seal to stop the leaking issue:
a7u5egu3.jpg

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
Ok I have just spent over 2 hours trying to find a combination of seals that will stop the leak. From peaking under the bonnet it is dripping from around the push clips on the arc of the strip. I am at a loss tbh as my strip don't seam to be compatible with this guide. And ideas in how to stop it leaking from the push clips?

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
From your photo, it looks like that damaged seal is supposed to seal against the slope at the front of the bonnet recess and the angled pressure on it has damaged or dislodged it (similar to the SEAT fix for the later version).

It's a little difficult to tell from your photo. Can you fit a seal on the other side of those lugs so that it will seal against the flat part of the bonnet recess just in front of the fixing clips.

Trublu07

Oct 7, 2008
Essex
From your photo, it looks like that damaged seal is supposed to seal against the slope at the front of the bonnet recess and the angled pressure on it has damaged or dislodged it (similar to the SEAT fix for the later version).

It's a little difficult to tell from your photo. Can you fit a seal on the other side of those lugs so that it will seal against the flat part of the bonnet recess just in front of the fixing clips.

I tried that but because of the pattern on it it didn't seal even though I was precise in cutting. I used the flat seal from your guide as I had that and placed it on its side. It fitted and was flush when back on the bonnet but still leaked.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Done mine today. My bonnet felt was very mouldy (2012 car) so I removed the black plasitc skuttle part and used that butyl stuff to seal the front edge and also squidged some into the holes for the retaining clips.

Ive jet washed the felt to remove the mould and I will fit it again when it's dry.

Gave the bonnet a blast with the hose and no drips through any holes.

I managed to loose a felt clip so I need to order a new one :(

Last edited:

SPek9

This is a great solution to the leaking bonnet problem that affects all mk2 Leon's

I appreciate, as I'm sure most other members do that you took the time to find this solution and provide this guide to help others with the DIY fix.

I have just finished doing this fix to my own facelift mk2 leon so hopefully I will have no more water gathering in my oil filler cap where it could potentially get past the cap seals and into the head where it will mix with the oil and cause damage. I have the bonnet sound deadening drying in the house and I will refit another day

Cheers!!

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
This is a great solution to the leaking bonnet problem that affects all mk2 Leon's

I appreciate, as I'm sure most other members do that you took the time to find this solution and provide this guide to help others with the DIY fix.

I have just finished doing this fix to my own facelift mk2 leon so hopefully I will have no more water gathering in my oil filler cap where it could potentially get past the cap seals and into the head where it will mix with the oil and cause damage. I have the bonnet sound deadening drying in the house and I will refit another day

Cheers!!

Thanks. I hope it solves the problem for you.

Jan 18, 2019
Hi all,
I'm really unmechanical and this thread looks really useful, but all the pictures and links are so old they don't work. Does anyone know of any other instructions for this with pics for a dummy?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members