Mk 3 Ibiza detailed

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
This car belongs to my best mate, its his first decent car and he loves it to bits. Whilst not being a petrol head like myself, even he thought the standard 13" wheels looked a bit weedy so after a bit of searching I found him a set of 16" wheels from the 2.0 litre Sport Ibiza (big thanks to Icecavern!), knowing they would fit straight on without any problem. So I got them, and today he came down from Northampton for me to put them on.

This was going to be a full on detail with defect removal, but he didn't get to my house until nearly eleven, and by the time we had finished messing about with the wheels and eaten lunch, time was seriously getting on. I tackled the bonnet with great results, so when he comes to stay for a few days in Half Term week (he is a teacher!) we'll borrow a garage and make it all perfect. Have a look and see what you think!

The car at the start:

DSC03356.jpg

DSC03360.jpg

DSC03361.jpg

DSC03362.jpg

First of all, he got a rollocking. His opening statement to me? 'I took it to Sainsburys the other day and put it through the car wash. Was only £5.95'. Slap.

I explained why the whole car looked like this:

DSC03358.jpg

First of all, I changed the wheels - they look fabulous! Then, using a Megs dispenser with foaming head, I went around the car and gave it a light covering of APC diluted 10:1.

DSC03367.jpg

Washed the car with 2 bucket method, megs Gold Class shampoo and a couple of Megs washmits. Then clayed the car with DP grey clay, a fair bit came off but nothing outrageous. Washed again, dryed with Cobra Super Guzzler towel.

Broke out the Paint Depth Gauge and the readings confirmed my suspicions. The car isn't in bad shape, various scratches and chips around in car-park style, but the bonnet seemed noticeably stone-chip free so I suspected a respray. The whole car measured between 85mic (boot lid and bottom of the doors) to 132mic tops. The bonnet however was showing 225-280mic. Very good colour match and had been well done.

Got the PC out and after taping up with 3M 3434 making tape ,I tried Menzerna PO85RD Final Finish polish on a 6.5" Wolfgang polishing pad. It made an improvement, but not enough. So I stepped up to Menz PO85RD 3.02 Intensive Polish. Much better! Basically did the bonnet before a shower started to attack us, so we went for a bit lof lunch.

DSC03387.jpg

DSC03375.jpg

DSC03379.jpg

DSC03381.jpg

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
And once polished:
DSC03385.jpg

DSC03386.jpg

I must say, I love this Menzerna polish, so nice to use and finishes down so well. In that last picture, the white line running diagonally is not a scratch, but a vapour trail left by a passing aircraft! I was really pleased with the clarity and depth of that reflection.

As I say, weather suddenly turned a little and we ate. Once we came back outside I only had just over an hour before he had to leave. So, knowing he'll be back in a couple of weeks I thought I'd give the rest of the car a quick going over with Megs Cleaner Wax, just to tidy it up and restore a little shine. I went around the rest of the car with a 6.5" polishing pad, and it came up a treat. Proper long lasting protection will be added when we do the rest of the defect removal.

Glass and wiper blades were cleaned with Autoglym glass polish, tyres dressed with Armourall tyre gel.

This is the finished (for now) product - my mate was blown away with how good his car looks, I can't wait for him to see if properly done!

DSC03395.jpg

DSC03394.jpg

DSC03393.jpg

DSC03389.jpg

DSC03390.jpg

Thanks for reading!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
That looks awsome Reg, Come summer time im seriously considering have mine properly de-swirled and detailed, where abouts are you in berkshire as im only in oxford and would travel! I have a mk3 ibiza cupra in tip top condition apart from your average swirl marks nothing abnormal, Think it was caused my the previous owners using a bad wash method. How much would you rougly charge for a de-swirl and detail? obviously id only be to keen to help out and learn! This is the current condition of my of my car, wondering if you could either post or pm a rough cost from those pictures.

Top Job Cheers.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101732

David.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
Looking forward to the follow up now, he's staying at mine for a couple of days week after next, so I'll do a full deswirl on it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.