--MK1 Cupra R 225 Misfire on full boost--

Aug 19, 2020
(Car is a 2004 Leon Cupra R BAM 225 not mapped has ramair cone filter and miltek cat back)
Hello gents i changed my plugs yesterday all came out smoothy and new plugs in (ngk pfr6q dealer spec same plugs as old one) however now on full boost the car misfires as soon as it hits full boost, ive taken the plugs bvack out and checked the gaps, all ok (0.8mm) and put them back in and same issue, any ideas? the car runs perfectly fine on idle and high RPM only when full boost the misfire happens. code reader said something about EGT sensor but taht could be due to a exhaust leak, any ideas? thank you

Last edited:

welshy46

Dec 6, 2015
Maanchestorr
If it only started after you changed plugs then I'd say one of the new ones isn't up to snuff. Try putting your old ones back in and see if it still does it. If it doesn't then return them and get a new set.

Aug 19, 2020
If it only started after you changed plugs then I'd say one of the new ones isn't up to snuff. Try putting your old ones back in and see if it still does it. If it doesn't then return them and get a new set.
thank you mate, i done this earlier today to try and find out and same issue, so i put the new ones back in

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Where did you get the plugs from?
Ive heard that you can buy crap lookey likey plugs on ebay.
Not to be used!

Rich

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
If they are fakes, you are lucky to have just had a misfire.
The electrodes can fall into the combustion chamber.

welshy46

Dec 6, 2015
Maanchestorr
That was my thought about the Chinesiun "NGK" plugs. I've seen the iridium ones on ebay for £35 a set, when they're usually £50 plus, but as Poopra tried his old ones with the same result I'm thinking he might have a bad connection to one of the coils after pulling them out. No idea how to test though, I hate electrics.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ah, my mistake.
Maybe a coil is starting to break down now its been disturbed

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Possibly just coincidence that it happened after changing the plugs, or maybe you disturbed the wiring to the EGT sensor while changing them. Either way, if the ECU is seeing dodgy EGT data, then it will probably be pulling timing/boost under full acceleration. I'd be pretty confident that if you sort the EGT then the 'misfire' will go, as i suspect it's more of a flat spot caused by the bad EGT data rather than an actual misfire.

'

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkie
Aug 19, 2020
Possibly just coincidence that it happened after changing the plugs, or maybe you disturbed the wiring to the EGT sensor while changing them. Either way, if the ECU is seeing dodgy EGT data, then it will probably be pulling timing/boost under full acceleration. I'd be pretty confident that if you sort the EGT then the 'misfire' will go, as i suspect it's more of a flat spot caused by the bad EGT data rather than an actual misfire.

'
Thanks, im just sourcing an EGT now, thanks alot for the info.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Possible that a coil pack is breaking down under full boost or perhaps the fuel pump is struggling to supply enough fuel. If you have VCDS then run some logs under full boost, or if not then use an obd2 reader that can do live data to look at the short term fuel trim when it's happening.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020
Possible that a coil pack is breaking down under full boost or perhaps the fuel pump is struggling to supply enough fuel. If you have VCDS then run some logs under full boost, or if not then use an obd2 reader that can do live data to look at the short term fuel trim when it's happening.
thanbks ill have a look, going to try a set of R8 coils from my mate, if that dont work then ill have to get someone to vcds on my car

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise