MK1 LCR to MK2 FR TDI

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I've seen a thread about making the leap from an LCR to an LC MK2

I bought the LCR to turn into a bit of a weapon.
I did all the ground work, Badger Bills Discs/Pads combo (huge upgrade)
Jabbasport heatshield and filter
Full stainless exhaust, Decatted
Uprated ARB's and much more.
They wont offer me much, $3100 :(

I didn't want to swamp that thread but I'm looking to hop from my MK1 LCR to a MK2 FR TDI.
The MK1 LCR is the love of my life but as I'm covering between 4-500 miles per week its starting to take the piss a little on Fuel/Tyres/Brakes etc.

Plus with nearly 280ish bhp its hard to drive sensibly and .... oh god I love it :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZUyGASzq0&feature=share&list=PL0hj61_mjhd5k0KEzBva5it0-gcAeJumq
(All my videos including jaunts and track videos)

But I digress and I need to put my sensible hat on, And the FR seems nippy... but sensible.
Its a 59 plate but a 2010 model so it has the new bumper and I think the CR engine instead of the PD? but I've not really done enough research, this has kind of been thrust upon me.

Has anyone made that leap, was the drop too much in power? Did you end up going for an LC/LCR in the end?

What MPG am I realistically likely to see out of the FR Common Rail TDI on the motorway (Which is 75 miles of my 82 mile trip!)

I'm also very likely to remap it, I've not done too much research (Will hit the search function in a minute) but will I need a new clutch. Remapped both my Ibiza's and my Leon now so I know the difference it can make! Worried though as I hear about new ECU's being encypted and DPF's but I'll search that in a moment.

Whos made the sensible transition?
What did you miss?
Did you go back? (Or get a MK2 LC)
Anything I should be aware of?

I'll get searching but any help is very welcome as I'm going to view it tomorrow!

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Also just to say I bought my MK1 LCR as I was going out alot with the car clubs, wanted to be involved in track days etc, but because of the loss of my job and then another job that is a considerable distance away I never go to use it for its potential and actually its seen about 500 miles of "Fun" driving and 19,500 miles of motorways.

I do love the power though and my ability to just dust most things... My egos too big :(

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
I've seen a thread about making the leap from an LCR to an LC MK2

I bought the LCR to turn into a bit of a weapon.
I did all the ground work, Badger Bills Discs/Pads combo (huge upgrade)
Jabbasport heatshield and filter
Full stainless exhaust, Decatted
Uprated ARB's and much more.
They wont offer me much, $3100 :(

I didn't want to swamp that thread but I'm looking to hop from my MK1 LCR to a MK2 FR TDI.
The MK1 LCR is the love of my life but as I'm covering between 4-500 miles per week its starting to take the piss a little on Fuel/Tyres/Brakes etc.

Plus with nearly 280ish bhp its hard to drive sensibly and .... oh god I love it :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZUyGASzq0&feature=share&list=PL0hj61_mjhd5k0KEzBva5it0-gcAeJumq
(All my videos including jaunts and track videos)

But I digress and I need to put my sensible hat on, And the FR seems nippy... but sensible.
Its a 59 plate but a 2010 model so it has the new bumper and I think the CR engine instead of the PD? but I've not really done enough research, this has kind of been thrust upon me.

Has anyone made that leap, was the drop too much in power? Did you end up going for an LC/LCR in the end?

What MPG am I realistically likely to see out of the FR Common Rail TDI on the motorway (Which is 75 miles of my 82 mile trip!)

I'm also very likely to remap it, I've not done too much research (Will hit the search function in a minute) but will I need a new clutch. Remapped both my Ibiza's and my Leon now so I know the difference it can make! Worried though as I hear about new ECU's being encypted and DPF's but I'll search that in a moment.

Whos made the sensible transition?
What did you miss?
Did you go back? (Or get a MK2 LC)
Anything I should be aware of?

I'll get searching but any help is very welcome as I'm going to view it tomorrow!

There's alot of people who will know more etc but I will give the info I know.

I have a CR 170 and I think there great engines. The facelift is 2009 onwards with the newer CR engines. They have enough power/torque to handle most cars but with a remap (most people go for REVO..P-TORQUE..SEDOX) there is more but my mind had gone blank and usual figures are around 205-210bph with 300ftlb. Could maybe push a tiny bit more but it will become smokey.

The clutch can usually handle a remap if treated correctly..if you do alot of traffic lights starts you will need a new one.

Never heard of any major problems with the CR engines to be fair and the DPF problems are non-existent compared to the PD engines.

I have a 20 mile commute to work there and back and going I stick to A/B roads and average 45 ish and on motorway on the way back 52mpg. Even if you drive them hard you won't see them drop below 40 to be fair.

End of the day there good cars with a great engine and if you want a punchy engine and good return then the CR is for you!

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Thanks,
Turns out the one I'm looking at is a CR, Probably going to remap it.
Almost all of my driving (No exaggeration) will be motorway and it will be 40+ miles each way and hopefully sensible miles.

I'll probably head back to Will @ P-Torque as I've had lots of good experiences with him (Including finding a playstation 3)

Thanks for the info its most appreciated. I've been searching the forums since I last posted.
Lots of positive info about these CR's, I think I might make the leap from MK1 LCR to MK2 Leon FR TDI

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
What colour is the car your looking at?

Shnazzle on here has a CR DSG and he's stage 2 with a DPF delete and he's running 215bph and 330ftlb and will be a completely different car from a standard one.

A few people preferred the older PD engines as they where better for tuning but the CR seem to be a better engine all round.

You thinking about anymore mods to it?

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
It will be a 2.0 CR TDI
Red (like my first every Ibiza <3)
I didn't know you could get a DSG with the 2.0TDI thats actually really interesting, My Mrs will be driving the car too and shes a crap driver. DSG will be a huge help if thats the case!

Will go and investigate.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I've thought about a rear BTCC bumper as I love the symmetry of the dual exit exhausts,
And a spoiler from the same kit? Or the one that has loads of jagged bits (If that makes sense) but I have no idea what fits where

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
You can get the BTCC/Supercopa back bumper you will just need a new exhaust for dual tips.

A few people and changed the rear to the Cupra R rear the the diffuser and two centre exhaust. That's just a standard rear valance, and cupra r diffuser bonded together and sprayed black for around £250 then exhaust for £300 depends where you go for it.

Or some have just gone for the gloss black valance to keep it simple.

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Also on spoilers people fit the Cupra R rear spoiler on the FR and usually paint it gloss black as its an extension the to original FR spoiler and to be fair I think it makes the rear end look alot nicer.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
not had an LCR but do own a MK2 FR 170 and I love it also went to Will @ P_Torque and his map has transformed it, clutch is fine after 40,000 miles on the map but then I don't get involved with traffic light Grand Prix
Doing motorway miles DPF issue totally non existent don't think it has ever done a regen :)
Averaging 49-55 MPG quite easily
lowered on the Eibach Pro-kit which for me is just right tightens it up enough but still nice and comfy
you won't be disappointed smashing car good luck ;)

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
What are the speakers like in the FR?
The LCR has an exceptional sound system. Just wondering if I need to budget for that too
Going there today, might take a CD and crank it but I feel a little cheeky

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
The sound system it poor if you compare it to (Bose on Audi's) and everything seems to vibrate on lots of base. The metal door handles inside rattle on the plastics, there is a slight fix which helps which I have done my self but poo compared to Audi's VW's. but I suppose that's why you pay less.

And noise insulation is poor aswell on the motorways, tyre noise ain't that quiet and you can hear the wind.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Test drove it today, A huge drop in power. I'm definitely going to remap it the difference is huge even pulling away I thought the diesel would be equally as torquey as my LCR but thats not the case.

Needs a bit more push to get going. but whilst it was rolling I was getting 60+ mpg.
The stereo was OK but its very comfortable.

I'll need to search the difference between stage 1 and 2. what mods are involved etc.
I dont want to go overboard as its going to be a motorway miler.

When i finally get a job closer to home/move closer to the job I'll move back to a LC/LCR but for a comfortable economical sporty diesel its very good indeed.

It has USB/Bluetooth/Aux and all types of other crazy goodness, I can see myself embedded in these forums for a while looking at tweaks and minor improvements.

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Stage 1 in a CR is simply just a remap you will see 200-205bph stage 2 technically would be to have the DPF removed which restricts the exhaust flow which would push you to 215-220 anything after that will be smokey when booting. Anymore and you will need a new turbo and cost. Have you thought about the petrol FR. 211bph as standard and since its petrol easily tuneable?

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Fair enough pal. You have to remember diesels aren't going to be anything like your LCR at the mo but with 215bph and 330ftlb it will be a different car.

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
Stage 1 in a CR is simply just a remap you will see 200-205bph stage 2 technically would be to have the DPF removed which restricts the exhaust flow which would push you to 215-220 anything after that will be smokey when booting. Anymore and you will need a new turbo and cost. Have you thought about the petrol FR. 211bph as standard and since its petrol easily tuneable?

so where do your figures come from stage one on a CR will give you 220BHP and 340ftlb torque and yes I have the RR to prove it :p

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise