Suggestions - Lowering springs or Coilovers?

Nov 14, 2023
Hi all,

Just need some advice on what would work best for me for those who have possibly done what I am after.

I have a seat leon fr mk2 facelift with 18" cupra alloy wheels. I have tried browsing the net for what my car could look like with lowering springs but can't seem to find anything.

My question is has anyone fitted any lowering springs to an FR with 18" alloys, if so how does it fit and which brand would you recommend.

My other query is, is it worth just avoiding the hassle with springs and going for coilovers for the adjustability?

I am on a budget and realistically do not want to spend over £220 on a set up (not including labour).

All replies are read and appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Kay

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
If you can get a set of coilovers for around £200, avoid at all costs. If new or nearly new they will be really cheap nasty ones & wont drive very nice & wont last. If used, they will be rusted, seized or need rebuilding unless you’re incredibly lucky. On that budget just stick to lowering springs IMHO

Nov 14, 2023
Thanks for the reply Kryton,

Was thinking the same really. Only issue I've got with pulling the trigger on the springs is I dont know what the car will sit like once they are on as there is nothing I can find online.

Also had a flick through and found the rep of DPM suggesting some new coilovers on their page for around the £250 mark. Would this definitely not be an option compared to springs on the performance side?

Thanks

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Unsure which kit we recommended but I'd say for around that budget, lowering springs would be a better option as long as your dampers are in good condition. What kind of drop were you looking for?

Damian @ DPM Performance

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
15-25mm is usually the sweet spot, depending what is available obviously.

Slam it further than that and it'll ride and handle noticeably worse.

Nov 14, 2023
Hi Damian,

It was a relatively old post, believe 2013! Think they were amax, or at least was mentioned.

I'll attach a picture of my car from the side view to show the arch gap and what my options may be for dropping it.
IMG_0988.jpeg

The result I would like would be:
IMG_1553.jpeg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise