MK11 Toledo Suspected Blown Turbo and Runaway

barrymurphy

Dec 14, 2016
Hi,

I have a 1.9 TDI MK11 Toledo and when I bought the car the turbo was disconnected. I removed the manifold and turbo, cleaned and freed the vanes. Once back together I checked the actuator with a vacuum tester and it worked perfectly and arm moved freely.

I connected all of the vacuum pipes, checked the N75 valve was working and tested the vacuum pump.

All working fine. I took the car for a drive and you could really feel the "boost" when taking off from a standing start, i.e in the lower revs. That was never there before. So all good and I decided to test it up a hill. I did so but just after I started the hill I could hear what sounded like the turbo give a massive boost and a noise then the car went into runaway. I have had a car before where the car went into runaway from a failed turbo and it was a proper runaway. It kept going for minutes until it killed itself and you could not see the car cause of the smoke around it.

In this instance, I removed the key it ran away for about 10-15 seconds then stopped. It produced a good bit of smoke but nowhere near a proper runaway. Did the anti shudder valve kick in, how long before it kicks in normally?

Anyhow she wont start now and I know I should not to try to start her.

Its like she overboosted and blew the turbo and this caused oil to fire through and runaway? How can this happen if the N75 valve is working properly and vanes working properly?

And what damage will have been done?

Thanks

Barry

barrymurphy

Dec 14, 2016
I am afraid to ask but would a replacement N75 be the issue? I got a secondhand one, same connections, fittings etc but a different model number.

Would this allow more air through? I presumed the ECU would still tell it to open and close when it wanted to and it should not make any difference?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members